E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > P0012 after crank sensor install.

09-27-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
Frausto408
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

P0012 after crank sensor install.

Hi guys any ideas will be appreciated. I was getting a CEL for crank position sensor, got new one and replaced it. Installed all parts and when I started the car it runs horribly rough. Miss fire on multiply cylinders and gives me P0012 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1). Then car will eventually stall out. I removed and cleaned crank sensor double checked everything and made sure nothing was left unplugged. Everything seems fine but car runs like shit after crank sensor install. I even put old one back in to see what happens. With old crank sensor it didn’t run rough or stall or misfire it just had code for it so I replaced it. Now can’t figure out the misfire, stalling, P0012 code.

Car has 120k miles. Replaced one vanos solenoid when it failed under warranty. Other then that all solenoids, cam position sensors are stock. I’m going to try swapping vanos around to see if code follows bank? Maybe replace cps sensor, but I just don’t understand how it wasn’t doing this before? Any help please before i have to tow to stealer ship
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Sounds to me like the new Crank Position Sensor is defective. Try to return it and get a new one? Try to clear the codes with ISTA and compare the BMW specific codes before the new sensor and after.
Appreciate 0