E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bright ideas on forgetting to replace oil drain plug gasket?

09-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #1
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Bright ideas on forgetting to replace oil drain plug gasket?

After changing my oil this past Sunday, I saw it: the oil drain plug gasket sitting in the oil pan. I figured I'd see how it goes -- maybe it is just like a washer you don't really need.

Well, of course it isn't just like a washer, and I'm dribbling out oil. I would guess my options are limited to the potentially very messy one of unscrewing the plug and putting the gasket on while oil pours out, or the expensive one of changing the oil all over again.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom on the best route here?

Last edited by JasW; 09-27-2017 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Drain oil into clean container.

Replace Gasket.

Funnel same oil back into engine same way as you would normally fill it.

Drink Beer.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh17313.50
Wolf 3352340.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      09-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Didn't we just go through this already?

Here's an idea (a new one I just thought of). It'll be a bit messy. If you don't just want to drain the oil into a clean oil drain, close-able, container.

Get some plumbers faucet valve packing. faucet packing is basically white Teflon string. Unscrew the drain plug just a few turns, wrap a few inches of packing string (get the smallest diameter you can find) around the threads underneath the bolt head, and screw the drain bolt back in. I think that would seal it until the next oil change. Unscrewing the drain bolt just few turns will not let much oil out. Have the packing string at the ready. Do it quickly and there will not be much of a mess. Any decent hardware store carries packing string in the plumbing section.

Wisdom? Well, maybe if you buy an OEM (MANN) or OE oil filter , which comes with a new copper drain seal (the the correct o-rings for the oil filter cap), you'll see the new copper drain washer in the plastic bag with the o-rings, and install the washer on the drain bolt before you reinstall it in the oil pan...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-27-2017 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #4
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

What he said ^.
Just buy a new drain container so you can pour it back in. Even a big foil turkey pan from the grocery store would work, just make sure you wipe out whatever you use first, so you don’t add dust and stuff to the oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Drain oil into clean container.

Replace Gasket.

Funnel same oil back into engine same way as you would normally fill it.

Drink Beer.
This is the one I have just for such occasions.... I bought for and used it when I replaced my oil level sensor. Advanced Auto carries them in stock. Small opening is perfect for re-pouring the oil back in the engine. Big opening (like 10 inches in diameter) accepts the oil out of the pan without spillage.

OP just make sure to wipe down any dirt around the opening in the bottom engine cover, both on the outside and inside. It works best if the car is level on 4 jackstands (i.e. not ramps)
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-27-2017 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all. Not sure why it didn't occur to me to just buy a new drain container. Also not sure I'd want to go the aluminum foil pan route, haha. Or even the $3 cheapo Walmart 7 qt. pan route -- that would be filled to the brim. The 16 qt. container I use was ~$10 on Amazon, but unfortunately they don't carry it anymore and I want to get it taken care of pronto in any event, so I'll have to get the 10 qt. version from the local AutoZone for $12.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This is the one I have just for such occasions.... I bought for and used it when I replaced my oil level sensor. Advanced Auto carries them in stock. Small opening is perfect for re-pouring the oil back in the engine. Big opening (like 10 inches in diameter) accepts the oil out of the pan without spillage.

OP just make sure to wipe down any dirt around the opening in the bottom engine cover, both on the outside and inside. It works best if the car is level on 4 jackstands (i.e. not ramps)
I'll check that one out, thanks, and will make sure all is squeaky cleean. I use Race Ramps, though -- why would that make any difference? Chance dirt/debris rolling down from the front of the inside of the engine cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Is the engine oil for your car that expensive you getting tips how to reuse oil.
I can understand if its a very old E46 but you have a 2013 335i that deserve better oil.. just my 2 cent
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #9
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
Is the engine oil for your car that expensive you getting tips how to reuse oil.
I can understand if its a very old E46 but you have a 2013 335i that deserve better oil.. just my 2 cent
Not sure what you're getting at, but I always use Liqui Moly. And all things being equal, I'd certainly pay $62 for another 7 liters of the stuff if draining and refilling what I just put in a few days ago poses any risk to the engine. Only it wouldn't get to me until probably next Monday, and I'm not sure there is any risk if I ensure nothing gets into the "old" oil between the drain and the container.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I don’t see any risk here... and we have oil filters. It’s engine oil not a blood transfusion lol
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Re-pouring slightly used oil back in the engine is common practice. I've done it twice on my engine. It's got 332K on it now. Agreed, it's not a blood transfusion. Just keep the oil from contamination.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
I'll check that one out, thanks, and will make sure all is squeaky cleean. I use Race Ramps, though -- why would that make any difference? Chance dirt/debris rolling down from the front of the inside of the engine cover?
If the oil drains in the catch pan without touching the belly pan, then good enough. I've never used ramps and the 335i pan I'm not familiar with, so I don't know how it drains out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
lukasB
God
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

Speaking of oil drain plugs I just ordered one from ECS $10 part# ES#251839. It's magnetic and suppose to trap metal particles in my oil, will see how it works. Regarding your problem I would do it the right way (drain/refill)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Quote:
Didn't we just go through this already?

Here's an idea (a new one I just thought of). It'll be a bit messy. If you don't just want to drain the oil into a clean oil drain, close-able, container.

Get some plumbers faucet valve packing. faucet packing is basically white Teflon string. Unscrew the drain plug just a few turns, wrap a few inches of packing string (get the smallest diameter you can find) around the threads underneath the bolt head, and screw the drain bolt back in. I think that would seal it until the next oil change. Unscrewing the drain bolt just few turns will not let much oil out. Have the packing string at the ready. Do it quickly and there will not be much of a mess. Any decent hardware store carries packing string in the plumbing section.
Yes, we did just go through this haha, but the OP from that post was seeking excuses/reassurance that everything will be fine and they wouldn't have to deal with the missing washer. JasW on the other hand has acknowledged the problem, and is seeking solutions on how to solve it in a cost effective manner, so kudos to OP.

To that point, the teflon/plumbers tape is a great idea for a cheap temporary solution that'll last until the next oil change. +1!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
BMW_SYNERGY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Such a long thread for such a simple fix. Unscrew the drain plug slow, pushing it inward towards the end of the threads. You'll notice once you start reaching the end. Hold it with your fingers and turn the last bit. Plug the hole with your other finger, install the new washer. Reinstall. The most that'll drain is half quart tops. I do it all the time, and just now for fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #16
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Buy another drain plug. Undo the old one. Really quickly pull out the old one and swap over the new plug with your other hand. Refill engine with lost oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #17
johnmyster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 n52

remove oil cap. Hook shop vac up to oil filler. Get under car, remove oil plug, replace seal, put plug back in. Remove shop vac.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #18
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I had one of those oil containers and it was the worst I have ever used. The vertical slats that stop you from losing the drain plug ended up diverting the sideways parabolic flow of hot oil out of the pan rather than into it. Just my experience.

I prefer the kind that looks like this
Still have to deal with a moving oil stream, but I've had better luck.

Right now I use the large open kind with the neck for pouring, except its hard to clean when you're done and want to put it away. Need to buy one like the one in the link now that I've moved away from home.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #19
BMWster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_SYNERGY View Post
Such a long thread for such a simple fix. Unscrew the drain plug slow, pushing it inward towards the end of the threads. You'll notice once you start reaching the end. Hold it with your fingers and turn the last bit. Plug the hole with your other finger, install the new washer. Reinstall. The most that'll drain is half quart tops. I do it all the time, and just now for fun.
Yup, that is the way to go. No big deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
BMWster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Not sure what you're getting at, but I always use Liqui Moly. And all things being equal, I'd certainly pay $62 for another 7 liters of the stuff if draining and refilling what I just put in a few days ago poses any risk to the engine. Only it wouldn't get to me until probably next Monday, and I'm not sure there is any risk if I ensure nothing gets into the "old" oil between the drain and the container.
Check out FCPEuro.com. Lifetime replacement policy. You send the old oil back, they send you new LiquiMoly oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
I had one of those oil containers and it was the worst I have ever used. The vertical slats that stop you from losing the drain plug ended up diverting the sideways parabolic flow of hot oil out of the pan rather than into it. Just my experience.

I prefer the kind that looks like this
Still have to deal with a moving oil stream, but I've had better luck.

Right now I use the large open kind with the neck for pouring, except its hard to clean when you're done and want to put it away. Need to buy one like the one in the link now that I've moved away from home.
Like I said earlier, I'm not familiar with the N54/55 oil pan, so I don't know how it drains. The N52 drains straight down (6 O'Clock), so the pan I suggested works great. If it we're me, I'd try the faucet packing trick first. If it works, then problem solved. If it doesn't, the drain and refill with same oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWster View Post
Check out FCPEuro.com. Lifetime replacement policy. You send the old oil back, they send you new LiquiMoly oil.
Kinda shows how much profit markup is in engine oil.
Appreciate 0