E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil level in N55?

10-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
BendtnerOrBust
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i xDrive

I don't want to sound too noobish, but I have a 2011 335i and I'm curious about the oil level in it's N55. I've only had the car for a month, but the service history and iDrive suggest the oil is at an acceptable level.

Is this info in the manual? Again, apologizes for my lack of knowledge, any info is appreciated!
      10-02-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Yes, the excess oil lives in the oil pan underneath the engine. This is true of almost every engine. The computer measures the oil level in the pan.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Hoping this isn't a troll post....

You don't have any understanding of automobile engines based on your comments. As stated above, the engine oil resides in the oil pan located at the bottom of the engine block and you will never be able to physically see the oil in the engine (i.e. it's not like seeing the top of the coffee liquid in a coffee cup). The law of gravity dictates that the oil drains to the lowest point in the engine block, which is the oil pan. This type of design is known as a "wet" sump oiling system (vs. "dry" sump). Almost every street car except a few few are wet sump designs. Traditionally a wet sump system uses a physical dipstick to measure the level (amount) of oil in the sump (i.e. oil pan). With the advent of the E90 gasoline powered cars, BMW replaced the physical dipstick with an electronic device to determine the amount (i.e. level) of oil in the engine.

Using the idrive (if your car is equipped as such) there is a graphic that indicates the level of oil in the engine. The engine holds 7 quarts of oil. The e-dipstick (i.e. the electronic dipstick) reports only the amount (level) of the 7th quart of oil, not the entire compliment of oil in the sump. So in other words, if the graphic shows half full, it means the engine is low by only one-half quart of oil; it does not mean the engine only has 3 and one-half quarts of oil in the sump. BMW instructs owners to only add engine oil at 1-quart increments once the car notifies the driver the engine is 1 quart low of oil. The owners manual explains this to you.

Now just for completeness... a "dry sump" system simply means the majority of the oil is stored in a reservoir outside of the engine block and the engine has a very small capacity oil pan. Your car does not have that type of system.
Appreciate 0