BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Wireless charging on LCI

10-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Wireless charging on LCI

So I went into my dealership today to check out a new LCI they just got in. I have mine on order and expect to pick it up in a few weeks.

While sitting in it I asked the dealer how the wireless charging works. He looked at me funny and said there is no option for wireless charging with any 2 series or M2, even on the LCI. I said I could have sworn I read somewhere that it did. He said I was mistaken.

Anyway, when I got home I looked up the Aus spec sheet and it was in there, wireless charging is standard with the car.

I sent this to him and he followed it up with BMW Australia who advised it must be a mistake on the spec sheet. Apparently the Aus spec cars definitely do NOT come with wireless charging and they will change the spec sheet online in the next day or two.

Anyone know whats going on here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      10-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #2
Oxymoron
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI MGM

Oh what! Thay sucks so much. I get my Aus delivered LCI in 2 weeks. I was super keen for wireless charging.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

The BMW variant is a ?sleeve? you slide your phone into.

I use an iPhone and was going to pick up a rectangle Qi charger that fits into the armrest when I upgrade at some point.

Haven?t checked exact measurements but something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/331690139241
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post

I use an iPhone and was going to pick up a rectangle Qi charger that fits into the armrest when I upgrade at some point.

That should work nicely in the LCI.

I had a look today and doesn?t have the stupid phone click thing in the centre arm rest anymore

I?ve emailed a complaint to BMW Australia for false advertising. Hopefully I can score some free stuff
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #5
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab_m2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post

That should work nicely in the LCI.

I had a look today and doesn?t have the stupid phone click thing in the centre arm rest anymore

I?ve emailed a complaint to BMW Australia for false advertising. Hopefully I can score some free stuff
Please keep us updated - so that we can complain and get some freebies
Appreciate 1
///Cardia299.50
      10-03-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

My July 17 build LCI (non-Pure with alarm/lumbar/heated seats) doesn't have the wireless charging, doesn't bother me but I thought it was because I didn't get Apple carplay.
It was only when I got the car I also realised we don't get the in-built programmable remote controls (was told no AU BMW models get it), also don't get the small compartment under the dash driver's side (this may be a right hand drive thing).

For anyone getting a manual intending to install the BMS clutch-stop the under dash cowling now meets the firewall higher up leaving the OEM clutch-stop very easy to access.

EDIT: reading the attachment in kab m2's post above it lists the "folding compartment in instrument panel on driver's side". Did the AU cars pre-LCI have this compartment?

Last edited by David.m; 10-03-2017 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
It was only when I got the car I also realised we don't get the in-built programmable remote controls (was told no AU BMW models get it)
What's this? The garage opener that's supposed be at the bottom of rear view mirror??
Quote:
also don't get the small compartment under the dash driver's side (this may be a right hand drive thing).
Oh no, I used this one to keep all the change and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Anyway, when I got home I looked up the Aus spec sheet and it was in there, wireless charging is standard with the car.
Thanks for the heads up on this kab_m2: I'd planned on getting a new iPhone to use this functionality, but if its not there, I'll save the upgrade for this year

BTW, I notice that the spec sheet has now been modified on the BMW website and it excludes this.

Quote:
I also realised we don't get the in-built programmable remote controls
After reading the online posts here about how this functionality works, and then checking the manual, I asked the dealer about this as I thought that it'd be a seriously useful add-on. He gave me the good news ... so I guess I won't be disappointed when the car gets delivered without it.

Quote:
Reading the attachment in kab m2's post above it lists the "folding compartment in instrument panel on driver's side". Did the AU cars pre-LCI have this compartment?
Although the spec sheet has been updated, it still says that this is part of the LCI build. I'm sure its not - it wasn't in the LCI I borrowed last weekend (I took a photo of this part of the dashboard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
What's this? The garage opener that's supposed be at the bottom of rear view mirror??
If you've got a remote control that opens your garage door or gate (I have both), then this functionality can replace the remote. Its really a very good idea as the remotes are a fiddle to mount and can fall off. A shame that BMW do not make it available in AU.

And I'm guessing that's because it uses a band of the radio frequency spectrum that is reserved for use by other devices in AU, and its not worthwhile for BMW to customise it for AU so it therefore isn't supplied.

If it helps: the best tip I got in relation to mounting remote controls was to use the 3M Adhesive Velcro-like strips. Makes it easy to position them anywhere, but I've found that the adhesive wears out and the need to be refreshed a couple of times a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
BTW, I notice that the spec sheet has now been modified on the BMW website and it excludes this.
Yep, just updated yesterday.

Quote:
If you've got a remote control that opens your garage door or gate (I have both), then this functionality can replace the remote. Its really a very good idea as the remotes are a fiddle to mount and can fall off. A shame that BMW do not make it available in AU.
Yeah, it's a shame.
BTW, the ship is approaching Perth as we speak
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:11 AM   #10
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I'll be getting more news re the driver's side dash compartment, I raised it with my dealer today during a post purchase follow-up, they confirmed my VIN specs show it should be there, they'll contact BMW AU & get back to me
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      10-05-2017, 04:19 AM   #11
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
BTW, the ship is approaching Perth as we speak
Its out there somewhere

I've been watching it daily - right now, its out of range of the regular/free service so I can only see its expected location. If you've got access to a more accurate location then I'll go with your story, but according to the free website, its not due into Perth until 2am Saturday (5am AEST) ... so a day behind schedule (it looked like it left Durbin later than planned).

Regardless, its exciting to think that in a week, it'll be docked in Melbourne ... which is my cue to start calling the dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:23 AM   #12
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'll be getting more news re the driver's side dash compartment, I raised it with my dealer today during a post purchase follow-up, they confirmed my VIN specs show it should be there, they'll contact BMW AU & get back to me
Good stuff David.m - I am going to raise this, and the wireless charging bit, with my dealer. If it is in the spec sheets, then its not fair to randomly delete stuff. I've taken a copy of the spec sheet in case that gets modified ... again.

Quote:
kab_m2 - would you have downloaded a copy of the spec sheet that had the wireless charging in it...? If so, would you mind sending it through (or sharing it) as I'd like to take this up with my dealer as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #13
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
kab_m2 - would you have downloaded a copy of the spec sheet that had the wireless charging in it...? If so, would you mind sending it through (or sharing it) as I'd like to take this up with my dealer as well.
Please see attached. But this one was released 1 Jul, while the one kab was referring to was released 21 Aug (the one I attached came with price, so not exactly the same spec guide on the website, not quite sure if any content was changed though). And the current one on BMW AU website was released 4 Oct.

Edit: found the one released 21 Aug.

Last edited by nick_stp; 10-05-2017 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      10-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #14
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Please see attached.
Perfect - that's it precisely.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #15
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Its out there somewhere

I've been watching it daily - right now, its out of range of the regular/free service so I can only see its expected location. If you've got access to a more accurate location then I'll go with your story, but according to the free website, its not due into Perth until 2am Saturday (5am AEST) ... so a day behind schedule (it looked like it left Durbin later than planned).

Regardless, its exciting to think that in a week, it'll be docked in Melbourne ... which is my cue to start calling the dealer
I'm following it intensely - minimum 5 checks per day.
Yes it was one day behind schedule, and it started when it was doing circles before docked at Port Elizabeth in South Africa (due to traffic control maybe). But looks like it might arrive in Perth on time (well, maybe was still delayed a bit, but should be earlier than the current est) - it took a shorter route from Durban to Perth from what I could tell.
I'm using the MarineTraffic free version as well, I assume you have an account and added the ship into your fleet? I happen to discovered a trick to access the satellite data - after you turn on the "My Fleets", select the ship (then you can see dotted square around the ship and an pop up info window). Then turn off "My Fleets", two things could happen - 1. where the ship was now only showing the dotted square, the green ship icon is showing the current location based on sat data (this doesn't work every time); 2. while you still get what's in situation 1, all the others ships are showing on the map (ie. just like before you turn on "My Fleets" in the very beginning"). However, based on the course of the ship, there seems to be only one ship that's likely to be Carmen, which is very close to Perth now
*Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. But it's kinda difficult for me to explain it I'm not native English speaker, tried my best.

Last edited by nick_stp; 10-05-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #16
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Perfect - that's it precisely.

Thanks!
Found the one kab was referring to, updated my post. Only had a quick read, didn't notice anything changed.
Is wireless charging supposed to be a new feature on LCI? Because I have the Au spec guide which was released Dec 2015, and it says it comes with snap-in adapter (purchased separately of course).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Just a follow up on what happened.

So I complained through BMW Genius. Someone from BMW Australia contacted me and offered me a bunch of BMW Lifestyle points as compensation for the error, which I accepted with thanks.

In all honesty, I was actually really looking forward to the wireless charging and genuinely believed it was included with the car because of that spec sheet. Compensation is entirely warranted if that's what you genuinely thought too.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

So I complained through BMW Genius. Someone from BMW Australia contacted me and offered me a bunch of BMW Lifestyle points as compensation for the error, which I accepted with thanks.

In all honesty, I was actually really looking forward to the wireless charging and genuinely believed it was included with the car because of that spec sheet. Compensation is entirely warranted if that's what you genuinely thought too.
Thanks for sharing kab_m2,

I had a sort through my emails from my sales guy to find out what I was told during the sales cycle, it turns out that I was sent the spec sheet with the wireless charging.

I went through the sheet carefully at the time and thought that it was great I was going to get the wireless charging, particularly as my iPhone is due for an update, I was quite happy that the functionality was included! It was part of the extras that sealed the deal.

I don't know what lifestyle points can be used for... but the acknowledgement is a positive result.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #19
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm following it intensely - minimum 5 checks per day.
Ah, you've been more badly bitten than I have

Quote:
I'm using the MarineTraffic free version as well, I assume you have an account and added the ship into your fleet? I happen to discovered a trick to access the satellite data - after you turn on the "My Fleets", select the ship (then you can see dotted square around the ship and an pop up info window). Then turn off "My Fleets", two things could happen - 1. where the ship was now only showing the dotted square, the green ship icon is showing the current location based on sat data (this doesn't work every time); 2. while you still get what's in situation 1, all the others ships are showing on the map (ie. just like before you turn on "My Fleets" in the very beginning"). However, based on the course of the ship, there seems to be only one ship that's likely to be Carmen, which is very close to Perth now
I haven't bothered getting an account or setting up "My Fleets" ... but I think I know what you're doing. You can probably achieve something similar by just zooming out of the location map until the closest green icon to the centre of the map appears. Doing that now shows a ship that is ~200Km from Perth right now (9am AEST) ... we'll know soon enough whether that's the Carmen. I'll check later this afternoon, but I suspect you may be onto it before me

Quote:
*Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. But it's kinda difficult for me to explain it I'm not native English speaker, tried my best.
Pretty good job - I followed! And as one of the few plebs who only speaks one language, I applaud anyone who can effectively communicate in more than one language

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ah, you've been more badly bitten than I have
You're damn right. Checked once at home and once again when I arrived office. I know nothing much is gonna change, but just can't help...

Quote:
I haven't bothered getting an account or setting up "My Fleets" ... but I think I know what you're doing. You can probably achieve something similar by just zooming out of the location map until the closest green icon to the centre of the map appears. Doing that now shows a ship that is ~200Km from Perth right now (9am AEST) ... we'll know soon enough whether that's the Carmen. I'll check later this afternoon, but I suspect you may be onto it before me
Will definitely keep an eye on it. Yeah seems about 250km away from Perth, should arrive somewhere around 7pm maybe?

Quote:
Pretty good job - I followed! And as one of the few plebs who only speaks one language, I applaud anyone who can effectively communicate in more than one language
Cheers, glad I made myself understandable
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #21
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thank you very much for the update.
So basically they confirmed it was a mistake and we will certainly not getting the wireless charging, like ever?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #22
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much for the update.
So basically they confirmed it was a mistake and we will certainly not getting the wireless charging, like ever?
Not sure about ever but definitely not for the 2018
Appreciate 0