E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328 xi muffler

10-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

328 xi muffler

Hey Guys

After a long time the mod bug bit me again. Im trying to get a little more sound out of the 328 , I already have AA headers and k and filter , which sounds good but it is still pretty quite below 3 500 rpm.

I ve been debating on whether doing a PE mod ( 400 $ canadian) or getting an aftermarket muffler. I ve seen a few videos on the magnaflow 12148 muffler
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12148

and i like the sound . Its sounds deep which is what I personally like. I called a exhaust shop around my area that does performance cars and they quoted me 400 $ canadian for the muffler and installation. Apparently they have to modify the muffler the 2 pipes out together more

I m also wondering if the specs on this muffler are a direct fit. I have read mix reviews, some are saying is a direct fit , others are saying you need to decrease pipe diameter which would mean losing some low end power.

CONFIGURATIONCENTER/DUAL
LENGTH14 IN
OVERALL LGTH20 IN
IN/OUT DIA2.25/2 IN

what do you guys think... I m into deep sound , so any other suggestion is also welcome.
I know you do not gain much from doing a muffler swap but I m pretty much FBO now
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

RE: FBO

you removed headers, but added additional cats to your exhaust. :S
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Even if the pipe diameter is decreased by 1/4", it won't make much difference on a N/A 3.0L engine. The magnaflow being a straight through design will flow better than the stock one anyway.

I've had Magnaflow mufflers on other vehicles and they hold up well. They have a nice crisp deep sound without being really annoying, and the stainless steel won't fall apart in the salt belt.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
RE: FBO

you removed headers, but added additional cats to your exhaust. :S
yes they are high flows installed behind the secondaries

No different than SS catted headers or AFE catted headers which are actually attached in front of the secondaries, right where the primary were installed which to me would make it more restrictive

no difference in performance and the car does not stink like it used to, because I got sick of having to drive with my windows up so that I dont have to smell the exhaust. People in the backseat couldnt put their windows down because it stunk up the cabin. Pulling in at a wedding and people asking me if I had an exhaust leak. Now the cars performs as well and it does not smell . Windows down , no problem .

As a matter of fact , the exhaust place where I took the car too which does custom exhaust for performance cars was very familiar with this issue. The master tech himself told me that more than half his customers with catless headers return to add a high flow cat to reduce the smell specially the ones that daily their cars.

Nothing worst than driving a luxury car that smellls like rotten eggs.

Now if this was a weekend car , I would ve just left it the way it was. Looking back , I would've probably gone with SS headers from the start, although at 2200 $ canadian compare to 1300 $ canadian which is what headers and high flow costs me , still 1000 $ difference

Also , like I said before I believe afe and SS headers have the cats very close to where the primary used to be , from my understanding the less restriction in the front the better for performance . Reason why removing the secondaries is not as good as removing the primaries. Regardless , I did not noticed a difference at all . If anything , I actually think it pulls harder down below , weird , placebo effect probably , but still ...

Im actually considering replacing the secondaries with high flow cats too , after my e test is done .
Dyno still says 230 whp

Last edited by rick100; 10-10-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Even if the pipe diameter is decreased by 1/4", it won't make much difference on a N/A 3.0L engine. The magnaflow being a straight through design will flow better than the stock one anyway.

I've had Magnaflow mufflers on other vehicles and they hold up well. They have a nice crisp deep sound without being really annoying, and the stainless steel won't fall apart in the salt belt.
I see

I had them before and yes they have a deeper tone.

I guess I ll go ahead with it , also they weight a lot less than the stock muffler

Website says it weights 13 lbs , I believe stock is close to 50 lbs
Appreciate 0