E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SOS Errors presents: Instrument Cluster Rave feat. Every OBDII Error Code Ever!

10-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
Nait Sirhc
fast, cheap, reliable: pick two
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Lightbulb SOS Errors presents: Instrument Cluster Rave feat. Every OBDII Error Code Ever!

So I got in my car today (2007 BMW 335i sedan A/T) and headed home. A few minutes later, the SOS light flashes in the warning/display area on the dash; I've never seen this before.

A few moments later, all sorts of other things start lighting up. The airbag light, the red SERVICE, and then every single thing on the dash. The numbers all drop to --. Then the gauges die and the speedo+tach both drop to 0

The car is still running/driving fine. A few minutes later, the AC shuts off. The interior lamps don't turn on anymore either. Sunroof won't open, but the stereo works fine.

I notice there's a small bit of water sitting inside the cigarette lighter socket. I wipe it out. A few minutes later, I get SOME functionality back. It's still screaming errors at me, but the sunroof worked long enough for me to close it.

I pulled all the codes. Holy crap what a list.

2DC3 - DME Monitoring terminal 15
2DE4 - DME Fuel level sensor left: signal
2DE5 - DME Fuel level sensor right: signal
2F4C - DME Message EWS-DME incorrect
2Fa4 - DME Incorrect data record
3100 DME Boost pressure control deactivation
CD94 Message error ambient temperature, DME receiver, instrument panel transmitter
CD9F Message kilometer reading / range, faulty, reciever DME, transmitter KOMBI
CDA0 Message error, terminal status 0x130, DME reciever CAS transmitter
CDA8 Message (status instrument panel 0x1Br) faulty, reciever DME transmitter KOMBI
CDA9 Message air conditioning requst, DME receiver IHKA transmitter
CDAA Message error (status, crash disengagement, EKP) DME reciever, JBE/ACSM/MRS5/EKP transmitter
CDAB Message error lamp condition , DME receiver, FRM / DRM / LM transmitter
CDAE Message error (time display, date) DME reciever instrument panel transmitter
CDB1 Message status, central locking system, faulty, reciever DME, transmitter CAS

I've cleared these and they all come back within 30 seconds.

This is one of the displays of all the lights that come on. There's more, but it's usually these ones.

View post on imgur.com

What should I do? I have some rice in the lighter socket to hopefully dry it out, but I'm hoping a module didn't get fried somewhere. I've checked the AC fuses and they're both good. Any other fuses in particular? I'm going through all of them but none show burned out so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So not to confuse anyone else who reads this, the codes you read are not OBDII codes, they are BMW manufacturer trouble codes.

Did the car come from Houston. It sounds like it was a flood victim.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Sirhc View Post
So I got in my car today (2007 BMW 335i sedan A/T) and headed home. A few minutes later, the SOS light flashes in the warning/display area on the dash; I've never seen this before.

A few moments later, all sorts of other things start lighting up. The airbag light, the red SERVICE, and then every single thing on the dash. The numbers all drop to --. Then the gauges die and the speedo+tach both drop to 0

The car is still running/driving fine. A few minutes later, the AC shuts off. The interior lamps don't turn on anymore either. Sunroof won't open, but the stereo works fine.

I notice there's a small bit of water sitting inside the cigarette lighter socket. I wipe it out. A few minutes later, I get SOME functionality back. It's still screaming errors at me, but the sunroof worked long enough for me to close it.

CD94 Message error ambient temperature, DME receiver, instrument panel transmitter
CDA8 Message (status instrument panel 0x1Br) faulty, reciever DME transmitter KOMBI
CDAA Message error (status, crash disengagement, EKP) DME reciever, JBE/ACSM/MRS5/EKP transmitter
CDAE Message error (time display, date) DME reciever instrument panel transmitter
CDB1 Message status, central locking system, faulty, reciever DME, transmitter CAS

This is one of the displays of all the lights that come on. There's more, but it's usually these ones.

View post on imgur.com

What should I do? I have some rice in the lighter socket to hopefully dry it out, but I'm hoping a module didn't get fried somewhere. I've checked the AC fuses and they're both good. Any other fuses in particular? I'm going through all of them but none show burned out so far.

Battery/Alternator.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Nait Sirhc
United_States
Rep

New codes today:

29E0 DME mixture control
2A2B DME mixture control
2C27 DME oxygen sensor before catalytic converters system check
2C3F DME oxygen sensor before catalytic converter signal lines
2CAA DME Oxygen sensor before catalytic converters temperature

The fuel level sensor left and right signal codes are still there. And everything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

As was hinted at be sure you have a strong battery and alternator
voltage before going further.
Electronics that do not have the proper voltage and current
will send out all kinds of error indications.

electical e90 pdf
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...85464276,d.cGU
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Did you serpentine Belt Tear apart and you are surviving on Battery?
Open the Hood....is your Belt there?

else what ctuna said.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Nait Sirhc
United_States
Rep

It made the rest of the 60 mile drive without dying and it started right back up today. So at least it’s still charging the battery :/ I’ll hook it up to a charger all night tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Shane335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90, E36 M3

I'm going with battery and alternator. Same exact thing happened with a 535i i was working on. threw a new battery and alternator in registered the battery and he was back on the road trouble free
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Nait Sirhc
United_States
Rep

So I let the car dry out for a good long while, windows down during the day while parked in the sun, up at night with dessicant packets everywhere, and it got better. No light flashing cycles, steering controls working fine, etc. for a few days.

Now it went back to cycling again. What in the Sam Hill. It doesn't cycle anywhere near as frequently as it did when it first started, but it will sit in the "mostly dead" mode for a while (HVAC display dead, no response from fan buttons, gauges dead, can't roll rear windows down and can only roll down driver & passenger window from the driver's controls). Sometimes it goes to "working but dead" mode (gauges work, HVAC works but AC doesn't blow cold, occasionally goes back to cycling)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

Wait... you had water in the ash tray and an open sunroof or closed sunroof?

Last edited by Greyfox; 11-05-2017 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #11
Nait Sirhc
United_States
Rep

Bought a new battery, popped it in today. Thought I had finally fixed it, as it didn't flash and christmas-tree for a good 2 hours of driving. Then it cycled once, stayed OK for a few minutes. Cycled again but less lights this time (only red Brake, car-on-lift icon, ABS, a couple others. HVAC display stayed lit.

It goes through the light cycle every 10-15 minutes or so now. I guess I'll get the alternator replaced next.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Bought a new battery, popped it in today. Thought I had finally fixed it, as it didn't flash and christmas-tree for a good 2 hours of driving. Then it cycled once, stayed OK for a few minutes. Cycled again but less lights this time (only red Brake, car-on-lift icon, ABS, a couple others. HVAC display stayed lit.

It goes through the light cycle every 10-15 minutes or so now. I guess I'll get the alternator replaced next.
Batteries and alternators are very easy to test and many major auto parts chains will check them for free, but you seem to be largely ignoring the fact that you had water in the cigarette lighter socket. Where did the water come from and what made you look there? A lot of your reoccurring symptoms point to moisture where shorting doesn't occur until the component heats up. Have you checked your DME box for water? Are your sunroof drains clear? Parking in the sun and keeping your windows open may dry a damp carpet, but it will do next to nothing for moisture trapped within electrical components and connectors. If nothing else, have your alternator checked before replacing it -- it bet you'll find it's OK and your problem lies elsewhere.
      11-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Wait... you had water in the ash tray and an open sunroof or closed sunroof?
Is it just me or are there far too many threads lately that just have to be trolling attempts? I mean, nobody is really this bad at diagnosing and troubleshooting things, right?

Quote:
...I notice there's a small bit of water sitting inside the cigarette lighter socket. What should I do?... I have some rice in the lighter socket to hopefully dry it out...
OP, are you one of those people who believe that if you put your wet cell phone in rice overnight asians will sneak into your home and fix the phone for you?
Maybe put some strudel in the socket to tempt the BMW engineers to fix your car.

OP: "I tried to use my BMW as a canoe and now can't understand why the electronicals are all aflitter."

Last edited by MysticRob; 11-06-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

It's a result of Bush lowering the general IQ then trump suppressing
education.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #15
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
It's a result of Bush lowering the general IQ then trump suppressing education.
No E90 owner left behind huh? Must be like the implementation of that system in Maryland, where many HS graduates still can't read, write, or 'rithmatic.
      11-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don't expect critical thinking just linear thinking.
1+1=2
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]