BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW Brake Dust Eats Paint?

10-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
Strudle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG X1, 2017 MW 430

BMW Brake Dust Eats Paint?

Has anyone else had issues with their brake pad dust collecting on the rear lift gate and eating into the paint?

About 6 months ago our lift gate was repainted under warranty after I complained about this issue.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem with these cars for some reason.

The body shop tech said that superheated brake dust can embed and then corrode the clear/underlayer of the paint surface.

?

So far so good on the repaint but it's only been 6 months and winter hasn't arrived yet, when it's salt season and that's when the problem really developed last year. The salt got into those micro holes created by the brake dust (they are about the size of pin heads, or black heads, depending on your analogy preference)

And yes I do wash/wax my car on a regular basis
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Nope, mines fine & I don?t hang about so the brakes get used properly.

What colour is your car as my old white M135i suffered from fallout & I had to get it machine polished to sort it out. That was more down the sides of the car though.
Appreciate 0