E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP! Oil Filter O-Ring Blown-Out

10-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328i 6MT

HELP! Oil Filter O-Ring Blown-Out

Hey guys! I need some help figuring what caused this issue!

I was driving home when I stopped at a red light and noticed some smoke coming from under the hood. I was 2 minutes from home, so I decided to limp it back keeping close watch on my temperature and oil levels. When I got home and popped the trunk, there was oil that seems to have come from the oil filter housing spread across the engine (which caused the smoke).

The part that confuses me is, what would cause that gasket to be blown out? What would cause that much pressure? Has this happened to anyone?

I am currently keeping close watch to monitor if there are any other areas/gaskets leaking, but as far as I can see, the oil all came from the oil filter housing.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by dspence44; 10-19-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

goddamn...you are f**ked. The oil filter housing gasket is a common problem on these cars, but they don't just "blow up" or burst open like that. The leak starts small and spreads. Most people who pop the hood at least once a month will notice it for sure and get it repaired at a shop or DIY it.

-Either you almost never pop the hood, or you saw it and chose to ignore the problem

What was originally a $10 DIY or $200 indy repair is now probably a $1,000+ repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Why would It be a 1k repair ?! Why is he f**ed? Stop scaring ppl lol.

OP:

Clean the engine bay, replace the gasket(s) for the oil filter housing and the oil cooler if present and be done with it.

Maybe also replace the serpentine belt as it is known to slip and get chewed up by the engine if oil drips on it so better change it.
      10-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
goddamn...you are f**ked. The oil filter housing gasket is a common problem on these cars, but they don't just "blow up" or burst open like that. The leak starts small and spreads. Most people who pop the hood at least once a month will notice it for sure and get it repaired at a shop or DIY it.

-Either you almost never pop the hood, or you saw it and chose to ignore the problem

What was originally a $10 DIY or $200 indy repair is now probably a $1,000+ repair.
Is this the diy for it?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476419
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post

I misspoke when I typed that up earlier, I did not mean the gasket, what I meant to say was the O-ring on the filter housing cap that we replace on each oil change. I typed it up in a hurry/panic and was not thinking clearly! Haha
      10-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspence44 View Post
I misspoke when I typed that up earlier, I did not mean the gasket, what I meant to say was the O-ring on the filter housing cap that we replace on each oil change. I typed it up in a hurry/panic and was not thinking clearly! Haha
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If you are lucky, the cap over the filter was not tight. As it got looser, only the o-ring was holding in the oil pressure. Eventually the cap got looser, the o-ring gave out. If this was the case, you don't have any serious issue in your engine, just make sure the cap is tight (not too tight). The cap on mine is marked with a green arrow that lines up to a mark on the housing to show that the cap is tightened.

Now for another possibility that is far worse: You have some sort of over-pressure or blockage issue that caused higher than normal pressure in the cap. I would say this is very un-likely and a loose cap is more likely. If a blockage occurred part of the car would not be getting oil pressure and in short order bearings would begin to fail. Again highly un-likely.

My advice: clean up. Change the oil, filter, o-rings, and maybe even get a new cap. Also replace the serp belt. Then see how things run.
      10-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep
Drives: 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspence44 View Post
OP,

I experienced something similar. Either the O-Ring was defective or more than lucky torqued down too tight. Or not placed on the Oil Filter properly lined up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

FYI, there is a torque spec for that cap. It's the same as the drain plug, and you can get adapters online that let you put a socket on it.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Make sure whoever did the last oil change may have put the oring in the wrong groove(ask me how I know). Make sure the oring is in the right groove or it will leak.
Appreciate 3
      10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
Make sure whoever did the last oil change may have put the oring in the wrong groove(ask me how I know). Make sure the oring is in the right groove or it will leak.
I would vote this to be the most likely scenario...make sure that gasket is in correct groove..and also make sure it's present.

GL OP
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

OP, whatever the problem is (hopefully just an O-ring or filter cap) get it fixed ASAP....This job looks easy enough to just DIY it. After you fix it up, please please please make sure there is NO oil at all on the belts. NOT EVEN A SINGLE DROP...if the belt slips off and shreds, your engine is most likely toast. Better start searching on Craigslist for a used N52 engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #13
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
+1, installation error during last oil change. Not that uncommon, and ask me how I know too!
Even if it is put in the correct groove, if the oil ring is not lubricated with some oil, it can climb up during screwing in the cap. When you tighten the oil filter cap you shouldn't see any of the o-ring, it should be staying all inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
Flyboy161
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW E92 335i  [0.00]
I agree with the others on the wrong groove as well. I just went through this very same thing two weeks ago with my daughter's car. I just replaced the oil filter and both O-rings on the cap. All is good now. Oh yeah, and clean all the residue off the motor when you are done.

+1 on changing the serpentine belt as well
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy161 View Post
Oh yeah, and clean all the residue off the motor when you are done.
But make sure you stay away from the alternator, especially the rear of the alternator shaft. If you wash the engine, cover the alternator with plastic sheet. Hopefully you don't oil seeped in there. The slip rings are at the rear of the alternator shaft. If they get oil or other liquid, liquid turns the copper dust accumulated from normal wear into an abrasive slurry and will eat away the remainder of the slip rings in a few weeks. Don't ask me how I know that neither!

Quote:
+1 on changing the serpentine belt as well
+2
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

If you put the oring in the wrong place like at the very top of the cap instead of the groove below the top oil will get past it

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0