BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Positive Camber - Front Wheels

10-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Positive Camber - Front Wheels

Is it me or does the G30/G31 have some positive camber on the front wheels.

Kind of reminds me of when I watch nascar or indy when they're running the ovals.

Seems counter intuitive for a road car that has to go around left and right hand bends?

Unless it is to make it less sensitive to the crown in the road?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
Is it me or does the G30/G31 have some positive camber on the front wheels.

Kind of reminds me of when I watch nascar or indy when they're running the ovals.

Seems counter intuitive for a road car that has to go around left and right hand bends?

Unless it is to make it less sensitive to the crown in the road?
I think so, i've always thought that looking at numerous pics when i was deciding on getting one, the front wheels do 'appear' to tilt outwards almost at the top. I don't know if it really is positive camber, or just looks that way compared to the rears
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

well compared to my previous f10 which always drifted slightly left on motorways(UK) ,the g30 just runs perfectly straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
well compared to my previous f10 which always drifted slightly left on motorways(UK) ,the g30 just runs perfectly straight.
To be honest my F11 was perfect at tracking down the road.

A lot better than my Mercedes E350 ever did. It was so bad I spoke to dealer to do a 4 wheel alignment. He told me Mercedes tracked to the left for safety in case you fall asleep at the wheel, so you don't run into oncoming traffic!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I think so, i've always thought that looking at numerous pics when i was deciding on getting one, the front wheels do 'appear' to tilt outwards almost at the top. I don't know if it really is positive camber, or just looks that way compared to the rears
Yes when I saw the photos before mine was delivered I wondered if they had left some transport spacers in when they deliver the car from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
F10/11 models also look that way. Some of it is the body shape and comparing to the rear wheel negative cambers. The double wishbone suspension accommodates dynamic camber much better than the older MacPherson strut.

My F11 front camber setting is just on the negative, BMW figures are -0°12' ±30'. Virtually no negative camber on the nominal dimension. BMW are not giving us all the suspension settings in their G30 technical documents, no camber figures, I assume the figures will be similar to the F10.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have not noticed that minutiae .Is it possible it would help when making maneuvers and handling the curves with a better grip ? I was told that Mercedes-Benz has their cars designed that way to grip the curves on the road better than other cars would do