THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 1 with MPE or Dinan Free Flow?

10-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Dinan Stage 1 with MPE or Dinan Free Flow?

Hi all,

I have my 2018 M240i on order and debating what to do about the exhaust. I have the MPE down on the order but am thinking about cancelling it and going with stock for now then upgrading later, likely to the Dinan Free Flow.

My question is that I am going to go with the Dinan Stage 1 shortly after break in but am wondering, will I see a difference with it and stock exhaust vs MPE vs Dinan Free Flow?

Ideally, I would go with Stage 1 on stock then upgrade to Dinan Free Flow later as long as running the Stage 1 on stock exhaust won't cause any issues vs MPE or Dinan Free Flow out of the gate.

On another note, is the Dinan Free Flow any louder than the MPE? I am a professional and want some additional burbles and fun sound, however, when I am pulling away from a client's home, I don't want to sound like a street racer.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

If you want the best of both worlds (quiet when you need it to be and sonorous when you want it to be), my recommendation is to go with the Dinan mid-pipe only, instead of a replacement muffler.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Just curious, if you are just looking for a sound modification, then just the MidPipe, but if you are looking for a power increase (although not that much,. 5-6HP), then, free flow exhaust, correct? How loud is all of it going to be compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
notinregs
Rep
Drives: M240i

I have the dinan mid pipe and 200 cel sport cat. Insane difference over stock. It's loud, I couldn't imagine getting a MPE as well. Cold start up is very loud, but mitigated by applying the throttle gently. Driving normal in comfort you can be quiet but switch to sport and the burbles are like gun shots. In comfort you can also hear the turbo whistle, which sounds pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Which sport cat do you have on your M240i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinregs View Post
I have the dinan mid pipe and 200 cel sport cat. Insane difference over stock. It's loud, I couldn't imagine getting a MPE as well. Cold start up is very loud, but mitigated by applying the throttle gently. Driving normal in comfort you can be quiet but switch to sport and the burbles are like gun shots. In comfort you can also hear the turbo whistle, which sounds pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
notinregs
Rep
Drives: M240i

Evolution Racewerks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
If you want the best of both worlds (quiet when you need it to be and sonorous when you want it to be), my recommendation is to go with the Dinan mid-pipe only, instead of a replacement muffler.
So, if I go mod pipe only, how is it going to be quieter when I want it to be? Is it loud only at higher revs?

I want a lower grumble at idle but don't want it to be obnoxious. Had supersprints on my Z4M and it was perfect cut for me.

My biggest concern, as mentioned, is weather one exhaust setup vs another is more or less ideal to use with the Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
So, if I go mod pipe only, how is it going to be quieter when I want it to be? Is it loud only at higher revs?

I want a lower grumble at idle but don't want it to be obnoxious. Had supersprints on my Z4M and it was perfect cut for me.

My biggest concern, as mentioned, is weather one exhaust setup vs another is more or less ideal to use with the Dinan Stage 1.
In Comfort, it's almost as quiet as stock. Maybe 10-20% louder, no drone. The only time it is considerably louder in Comfort is on cold start.
In Sport it is noticeably louder at higher revs and lots more and louder overrun.
No drone.
For, me, it is the perfect compromise. The car should have sounded like this from the factory.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In Comfort, it's almost as quiet as stock. Maybe 10-20% louder, no drone. The only time it is considerably louder in Comfort is on cold start.
In Sport it is noticeably louder at higher revs and lots more and louder overrun.
No drone.
For, me, it is the perfect compromise. The car should have sounded like this from the factory.
So, maybe tough to answer, but would you say it sounds louder but like BMW wanted it to sound that way or does it sound aftermarket? I know, strange way to ask but I just don't want to sound like a tuner...just a louder grunt.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, maybe tough to answer, but would you say it sounds louder but like BMW wanted it to sound that way or does it sound aftermarket? I know, strange way to ask but I just don't want to sound like a tuner...just a louder grunt.

Thanks for the advice!
I'd say it sounds like the former (BMW+), not the latter (tuner).
It just sounds 'right'.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #11
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

screw it, .... ordered the mid-pipe and free flow exhaust at my dealer today
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!
I'd say it sounds like the former (BMW+), not the latter (tuner).
It just sounds 'right'.
Thanks Guys
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

Dinan Stage 1 MPE exhaust - Dinan CAI Runs in the high 11 with good air -consistent low 12 in heat - and is in warranty!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Hi all,

I have my 2018 M240i on order and debating what to do about the exhaust. I have the MPE down on the order but am thinking about cancelling it and going with stock for now then upgrading later, likely to the Dinan Free Flow.

My question is that I am going to go with the Dinan Stage 1 shortly after break in but am wondering, will I see a difference with it and stock exhaust vs MPE vs Dinan Free Flow?

Ideally, I would go with Stage 1 on stock then upgrade to Dinan Free Flow later as long as running the Stage 1 on stock exhaust won't cause any issues vs MPE or Dinan Free Flow out of the gate.

On another note, is the Dinan Free Flow any louder than the MPE? I am a professional and want some additional burbles and fun sound, however, when I am pulling away from a client's home, I don't want to sound like a street racer.

Thanks
Quote:
Hi all,

I have my 2018 M240i on order and debating what to do about the exhaust.

On another note, is the Dinan Free Flow any louder than the MPE? I am a professional...
I am not sure what the "I am a professional" line means. Most of us here have jobs and professions, thus making us professionals. Otherwise we couldn't afford a $50K+ car. I'm a "professional" and love my pops and burbles. In fact, I've taken strides to make sure they are accentuated. In comfort mode, she's normal, but in sport or sport +, she cracks and farts like it's the last thing she will do.

Status, income, position, has nothing to do with exhaust sound. If you want it loud and to pop and burble, ask. If you want it quiet and to not do those things, ask. Status has nothing to do with sound.

Maybe I'm being presumptuous.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS sounds the best but if i had to pick between the 2 options you mentioned i would pick Dinan

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0