F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 335D X-Drive - Steering
proTUNING Freaks

10-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

F30 335D X-Drive - Steering

I have just taken delivery of a new 335Dx M-sport and have a query on the steering.

A bit surprised as it feels a bit "vague" with quite a lot of play when going relatively straight on the motorway. As a result it seems to tramline a bit. It is on the 19s with stock run flats at the moment. (I will get rid of the run flats when they are worn.)

I have just replaced an "enhanced" 2009 325d coupe and I understand the new cars now have the electric steering. Thing is, before delivery I had loan cars including a 430D s-drive and latterly a 320D s-drive both in m-sport trim with 19s and neither felt like this at all.

Just wondering if this is a typical characteristic of the X-drive all wheel drive cars? I am going to ask the dealer to check the geometry, but would appreciate any guidance from the forum?

And before anyone jumps in I am going to get the ACS springs.....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witney View Post
I have just taken delivery of a new 335Dx M-sport and have a query on the steering.

A bit surprised as it feels a bit "vague" with quite a lot of play when going relatively straight on the motorway. As a result it seems to tramline a bit. It is on the 19s with stock run flats at the moment. (I will get rid of the run flats when they are worn.)

I have just replaced an "enhanced" 2009 325d coupe and I understand the new cars now have the electric steering. Thing is, before delivery I had loan cars including a 430D s-drive and latterly a 320D s-drive both in m-sport trim with 19s and neither felt like this at all.

Just wondering if this is a typical characteristic of the X-drive all wheel drive cars? I am going to ask the dealer to check the geometry, but would appreciate any guidance from the forum?

The stock Bridgestones do tramline quite bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:
This will help a lot. I was out with McBeemer in his F31 as I was mulling over ACS springs. I'm completely sold on them now. The improvement is stunning and the steering becomes refined and precise. You will not regret it.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

The first thing I'd check is the tyre pressures. Use a gauge, not that thing in the idrive and do it when they are cold.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

The run flats and standard springs will play a part, but have you tried sport mode set to chassis? Makes a big difference to the steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 03:35 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

BMW may have changed the design on the current cars but the front compliance bushes on my 62 plate F31 were very soft, presumably to reduce NHV generated by the run-flats. Steering was vague straight-ahead and through the twisties the steering wheel and the front wheels were may as well have been connected by bungee cords.

Replacing them with SuperPro bushes has made a big difference. Worth considering as you are already planning to upgrade to ACS springs and will be dropping the suspension to do that.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Thanks for the responses. So the consensus seems to be that I should not expect the X-drive's steering to feel massively different from an S-drive in similar trim.... If that is the case, then based on my recent loan cars something appears to be amiss as none of them had the various upgrades! (Tyre pressure is fine.)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. So the consensus seems to be that I should not expect the X-drive's steering to feel massively different from an S-drive in similar trim.... If that is the case, then based on my recent loan cars something appears to be amiss as none of them had the various upgrades! (Tyre pressure is fine.)
If you've only ever driven an sdrive, thing to do is ask for a drive in another xdrive. If it feels the same to you - then that's the way it is.

If the dealer drives yours, they most likely say, "its fine sir". So see for yourself.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
A bit surprised as it feels a bit "vague" with quite a lot of play when going relatively straight on the motorway.
yep, mines feels like this - cant say i noticed any tramlining though
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
(Tyre pressure is fine.)
Have you tried adjusting them? You mentioned tramlining, they may be a bit a bit low.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

My old E91 used to tramline like a right git but my F31 is streets ahead, can't say I've ever experienced the symptoms you describe. On 19s and Bridgestone RFTs.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 04:23 AM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:

I don't believe this car has electric steering, there is a rack connecting through the bulkhead, but this might be the problem, electric steering has a level of in built absorption that auto corrects the wheels if the steering wheel is straight but the wheels are being pulled be external forces, without this buffer we get all the feeling through the wheel. (I acknowledge there is a Hydraulic buffer)

Our roads are shot and I get a lot of tramlining, but I think my tyres are low on pressure - must sort.

Sticking the car in sport but taking off the sport performance helps a lot.

I must confess though, if I get £600spare i might but acs on it to help.
      10-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #13
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
I don't believe this car has electric steering, there is a rack connecting through the bulkhead, but this might be the problem, electric steering has a level of in built absorption that auto corrects the wheels if the steering wheel is straight but the wheels are being pulled be external forces, without this buffer we get all the feeling through the wheel. (I acknowledge there is a Hydraulic buffer)

Our roads are shot and I get a lot of tramlining, but I think my tyres are low on pressure - must sort.

Sticking the car in sport but taking off the sport performance helps a lot.

I must confess though, if I get £600spare i might but acs on it to help.
I'm pretty sure you will not regret this, as a fellow member without ACS on his car, drove mine and found it improved the steering dramatically, as well as reducing body roll. My car has adaptive suspension like yours & I only use sport chassis rarely, when "really" pushing on, as it's great on comfort now.

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #14
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
I'm pretty sure you will not regret this, as a fellow member without ACS on his car, drove mine and found it improved the steering dramatically, as well as reducing body roll. My car has adaptive suspension like yours & I only use sport chassis rarely, when "really" pushing on, as it's great on comfort now.
It was me and it was a complete contrast. The steering was so much more positive and accurate. For me it was night and day. My F30 is not too bad as far as steering goes but McBeemer's F31 was so much better. More sensitive and the overall feel inspired so much more confidence in the cars ability. On the first bend I felt the difference, there little or no understeer where I expected it (based on my F30). The steering lost its vagueness and become almost finger light to control. You could point it in one direction and it stayed without the need to make those little corrections (could be me or my car but that's three f30's have felt vague and had a tendency to wander a bit). I pushed it a little on a small roundabout and you knew it had so much more to give.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 05:58 AM   #15
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
Agree that Comfort on ACS is good, however I do use Sport chassis in heavy rain as it makes everything feel a bit more planted.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #16
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
It was me and it was a complete contrast. The steering was so much more positive and accurate. For me it was night and day. My F30 is not too bad as far as steering goes but McBeemer's F31 was so much better. More sensitive and the overall feel inspired so much more confidence in the cars ability. On the first bend I felt the difference, there little or no understeer where I expected it (based on my F30). The steering lost its vagueness and become almost finger light to control. You could point it in one direction and it stayed without the need to make those little corrections (could be me or my car but that's three f30's have felt vague and had a tendency to wander a bit). I pushed it a little on a small roundabout and you knew it had so much more to give.
My car has turned from blue to red in embarrassment, due to all the praise being bestowed upon it

But actually Stu, it was really good to get a second opinion from someone whose driving & opinion I respected and with something to directly compare it with. Remember, I had only driven my car 30 miles or so (slowly) before having ACS fitted.

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
23rs
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Have to say steering in M3 feels way better, feels way too sensitive in the 335xd I just picked up. Guess I’ve just been used to a sportier drive.
Appreciate 0