BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California > BMW labor rates in CA

10-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

BMW labor rates in CA

I am in the bay area and Peter Pan BMW of the Nor Cal Bay Area just quoted me $220 for an hour of labor to install a CF trim piece to the steering wheel.

What kind of labor rates are you seeing from BMW in California?

I think I can do the install myself, but I am a bit hesitant on something involving the airbag as I don't want it to blow up in my face during install, and I don't want it to not blow up in my face if there is an accident.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I am in the bay area and Peter Pan BMW of the Nor Cal Bay Area just quoted me $220 for an hour of labor to install a CF trim piece to the steering wheel.

What kind of labor rates are you seeing from BMW in California?

I think I can do the install myself, but I am a bit hesitant on something involving the airbag as I don't want it to blow up in my face during install, and I don't want it to not blow up in my face if there is an accident.
I know it's not BMW, but the Jaguar dealer in San Jose has a labour rate of $250 / hour. To make matters worse, they add on things like fuel system cleaner to a service and quote it as an hours work... pouring a bottle in the fuel tank doesn't take an hour!

I suppose it's just business, and I shouldn't get so upset, but I don't understand why an oil filter and diff service on my wife's Pilot costs $150, and a similar service for my Jag costs $1,500!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I know it's not BMW, but the Jaguar dealer in San Jose has a labour rate of $250 / hour. To make matters worse, they add on things like fuel system cleaner to a service and quote it as an hours work... pouring a bottle in the fuel tank doesn't take an hour!

I suppose it's just business, and I shouldn't get so upset, but I don't understand why an oil filter and diff service on my wife's Pilot costs $150, and a similar service for my Jag costs $1,500!
I am thinking of telling them to bump the cost down to $150 or I just do the install myself and risk fucking up the airbag lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
HungryM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Would you consider taking it to Performance Technic? They recently did interior upgrades on another M2, including steering wheel and trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryM View Post
Would you consider taking it to Performance Technic? They recently did interior upgrades on another M2, including steering wheel and trim.
I would. I also have the rkp rear diffuser I need to install. Just ordered some pry tools so it's easier to get the plastic diffuser off, but if I fail with that this weekend I'll need to find a shop to install it. I also have the rear reflector delete kit and not sure what my plan is there for install.
Appreciate 0