E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Injector troubles

10-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
peacheyd
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 320D

Injector troubles

The other day I noticed a strong smell of burning oil inside the cabin, and assumed I had an oil leak somewhere .
After investigation I noticed a clogged up hose from intake to what I assume is like an oil breather pipe z this snapped when I moved it so I got a new one from local BMW and replaced , cleaned up the oil and a mate said start the engine with the vanity covers off n see if we can see a leak.

Soon as we started the engine fuel (diesel ) was being sprayed ina mist up and out the injector and it made a sound like a steam train sort of like a "chugging "

I've got a quote for new injectors and nearly had a heart attack but does anyone know if I'm right by thinking , if the fuel is still being sprayed and leaking out then the injector is fine and it's likely a seal has gone instead ?
And is their any way of me checking before paying for diagnosis ?

Car is an E92 320d 2009 N47 2.0

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacheyd View Post
The other day I noticed a strong smell of burning oil inside the cabin, and assumed I had an oil leak somewhere .
After investigation I noticed a clogged up hose from intake to what I assume is like an oil breather pipe z this snapped when I moved it so I got a new one from local BMW and replaced , cleaned up the oil and a mate said start the engine with the vanity covers off n see if we can see a leak.

Soon as we started the engine fuel (diesel ) was being sprayed ina mist up and out the injector and it made a sound like a steam train sort of like a "chugging "

I've got a quote for new injectors and nearly had a heart attack but does anyone know if I'm right by thinking , if the fuel is still being sprayed and leaking out then the injector is fine and it's likely a seal has gone instead ?

Thanks in advance
Sounds more like the injector isnt seated properly in the head of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
peacheyd
Rep

Would that happen on its own? Cars done 130k now . I hope your right though , injectors alone are close to £400 each
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
peacheyd
Rep

Turned out to be the seal , got a wicked local BMW indie place and total was £70 ish . So if anyone else gets same problem I think a giveaway is the sound most people with same problem described an"chugging" sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
bluePropeller
England
Rep
Drives: 2008 318i Edition ES

Which garage did you take the car to and what did they fix? I am having similar issues and i am hoping someone can help
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacheyd View Post

Thanks in advance
I belive you can diagnose a leaky fuel injector by pulling out the spark plug and seeing if its really wet from gas. Make sure you verify this as I'm no mechanic.
Appreciate 0