E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Build question

10-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Build question

I have a question for this group, however a little back ground before I pose the questions:

I recently purchase a high mileage 135i - car has approximately 165k on the clock.

It?s a MT and currently running MHD tune with inlets, outlets, DP, and DCI with a turbosmart BOV.

The car has had some maintenance (water pump and index 12 injectors recently), but it needs a valve cover gasket and likely oil filter housing and oil cooler gasket replacement.

I?ll also update to Vader coil packs and change plugs while I have the valve cover gasket off.

I purchased the car to do one thing - build a 700+ whp car, going big single.

The question - is it easier and more inexpensive to buy a low mile stock motor and swap it out given the durability of the stock engine, or pull the current engine and do a build (rods, pistons, polish/port the head, springs and cams, ARP everything, etc...)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #2
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

You can make 700 whp on a stock motor but it isn't going to last long. People have made more and got lucky but the clock is ticking. They seem to handle 600ish plus or minus 50 or so pretty well if your tune is good and maintenance is good. If you're sure you want that much power, I'd build.

Chris
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Mileage wont tell you anything. 165k engine might be a lot better than 65k engine. It depends on how was used and how it was maintained. Do an oil test and check compression. If those are OK build your existing engine. 700wph + is little too enthusiastic. It can hypothetically put those numbers down during a dyno session but you won't be able to utilize all that whp hard on daily bases as engine will blow. As stated above, 600wph maybe. Huge difference from 600 to 700....
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Mileage wont tell you anything. 165k engine might be a lot better than 65k engine. It depends on how was used and how it was maintained. Do an oil test and check compression. If those are OK build your existing engine. 700wph + is little too enthusiastic. It can hypothetically put those numbers down during a dyno session but you won't be able to utilize all that whp hard on daily bases as engine will blow. As stated above, 600wph maybe. Huge difference from 600 to 700....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
You can make 700 whp on a stock motor but it isn't going to last long. People have made more and got lucky but the clock is ticking. They seem to handle 600ish plus or minus 50 or so pretty well if your tune is good and maintenance is good. If you're sure you want that much power, I'd build.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Thanks - looks like build is the way I?m leaning.

I?ll also have a built 335d for daily driving duties making about 550 whp and 750 wtq, while getting 40+ mpg?s.
Quote:
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      10-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
I?ll also have a built 335d for daily driving duties making about 550 whp and 750 wtq, while getting 40+ mpg?s.
Mod list?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Mod list?
Current Mods on the 335d:

Stage 4 custom tune - limited to 41 psi (1:3.1 back pressure)
XHP stage 3 flash - changing to DWR custom tune when the car is back
Custom solid piped FMIC
Hybrid turbos (upgrading to a EFR 8374 for my LP turbo)
Fully built head with custom cams, springs, polish and port, exhaust manifold honed.
Forged Rods that are 10mm longer
Shortened steel pistons with ceramic coating and anti friction skirts
ARP everything (Main, Rod, and Head)
Wavetrac LSD
Diff Brace and power flex diff bushings
Custom Air intake and Exhaust by ATM
BPC Downpipe.
Snow Meth kit with Aquamist 1,200 cc nozzle (progressive spray - starts at 30 psi)
Modified injectors to 20% greater flow rate
R90 HPFP
Bilstein coilovers.

Before the motor was pulled to build the bottom end, car made over 500 whp and about 700 wtq
Quote:
Appreciate 1