BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-20-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Does changing exhaust make the car sound better?

Guys I know I’m probably posting this in the wrong place since everyone here has already determined to change their exhaust, but am I alone in thinking that many people are going to ruin their cars by changing the exhaust for changes sake rather than because it makes the car sound better? I know people want to individualise their cars, and one way of doing this is to make it louder. But louder is not necessarily better. It’s just louder.

I know it wasn’t sold in the US but the E46 CSL was a car that sounded absolutely magnificent out of the box. It sounded every bit as good as a Ferrari, due to the phenomenal intake sound. When people put aftermarket exhausts on the car, this wonderful, musical, mechanical sound was drowned out in a sea of noise from the tailpipes. This took away from the character of the car, rather than adding to it.

I fear the same with some of the exhausts for the E92. One thing that has struck me in all the video reviews I have seen so far is how similar the E92 intake sound is to the old CSL. It’s superb, and some of the clips I have seen so far of aftermarket exhausts do not improve the situation. The problem with these clips is that very often they are focussed on the tailpipe rather than the overall effect of the car approaching a listener and then moving away.

This is not to say when I finally get my car (3 weeks fingers crossed), I won’t find the exhaust disappointing. I suspect however, a lot of peoples comments are due to the fact that the E92 is far better soundproofed than the E46, and thus while sounding spectacular outside, the car can sound muted on the inside, and in an effort to correct this perceived quietness from inside, people may end up ruining the effect from outside.

Anyone else feel this way?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Interesting point of view.

I personally think the car sounds good without any changes. I haven't heard any of the aftermarket exhaust systems in real life, just youtube clips. I can't tell if they sound any better from the computer, maybe just a bit louder. Certainly not anywhere close to worth the prices I've seen them being advertised for. I think the car has a pretty mean sound right from the factory. To those you drive by that know the sound of performance will definitely hear the car, and to those who don't know who cares.

and in my experience 10hp from changing a muffler is extremely optimistic
      05-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

I agree that the stock exhaust note sounds amazing. However, it is not loud enough for me. Some of the aftermarket options are too loud, and too throaty. But there will be a happy medium for me.

I am going to get aftermarket exhaust without a doubt. It will be my first mod once i decide which company to go with. (probably supersprint header-back with "street" back box)

To me the benefit of a louder exhaust will be for my own personal enjoyment, from the drivers seat; not what it sounds like to someone standing on the side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i agree, that's why im very hesitant to change exhaust, and if i do i want 100% bolt-on to go back the day i want. agreed, it takes the ///M character away and gives it a muscle-car character instead
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

I also agree. Some of the exhausts are too loud and take away from the car’s classiness. YouTube clips are not enough to determine if it sounds better. I think that putting a CF intake will do more for the sound.

Many here are already decided to change the exhaust yet their car hasn't even been delivered.

Once I get my car, I'll wait at least 5k miles before I decide if the sound needs improvement. And if I think it does, I’ll need to hear the exhaust on another ///M before I commit.

Also Swamp2 has made me paranoid with his "I don't think any research has been done to understand the airflow changes of a new exhaust ... heating issues... blah... blah ... blah...”

hose $8000+ systems are cool and all but crazy IMHO. For 8 grand I can get a lot of other really cool stuff such as 65” Sony LCD, Blue ray, PS3 (Which I already have but not in my bathroom… how cool would that be ) or maybe an $8K gift card to Victoria’s Secret for my wife…. Point is there are a lot of cools things that you can get for this amount of money and it may be better spent on something else… Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Since I heard the first stock and aftermarket sounds clips I've been saying that the stock has the best "tone". To this date, I have not heard of an aftermarket system that beats stock in that regard. It is true that stock is a bit muted at low rpms. At first, I had a problem with this, especially before the break-in with the 5500rpm constraint. Now that I can go above that, I understand where BMW engineers were coming from as the exhaust is plenty loud up top and I personally would not want it any louder as I commute in this car. Even with the stock setup, if I redline the thing, people on the street stop doing what they are doing and stare at my car, which I'd rather not happen.

However, having said all this, I would like to be able to get rid of 40lbs and gain 10 hp with a proper aftermarket system that is not too loud and does not spoil the stock tone too much. Haven't found it yet. I'm currently eying the VS system, but I haven't heard any drive-by sound clips yet.
      05-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
im glad i read this thread. im never changing my exhaust. can u guys please save me like 5k and post a thread like that about wheels? same for suspension upgrades, PLEASE!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Aftermarket exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
I agree that the stock exhaust note sounds amazing. However, it is not loud enough for me. Some of the aftermarket options are too loud, and too throaty. But there will be a happy medium for me.

I am going to get aftermarket exhaust without a doubt. It will be my first mod once i decide which company to go with. (probably supersprint header-back with "street" back box)

To me the benefit of a louder exhaust will be for my own personal enjoyment, from the drivers seat; not what it sounds like to someone standing on the side of the road.
I'm in agreement. I just want to enhance the wonderful sound that is already there. Louder without being obnoxious. I ordered the Eisenmann Sport Performance yesterday.

I'll keep the stock to reinstall when I sell it.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
im glad i read this thread. im never changing my exhaust. can u guys please save me like 5k and post a thread like that about wheels? same for suspension upgrades, PLEASE!
Your wish...........

Although I can understand changing those. Personally, I don't like the stock wheels too much. They are just not special enough. So depending on your preference, wheels can make a serious change to the look of the car.

Suspension is a tricky one. Its disappointing that BMW makes an M car with a ride height that is higher than its 3 series m-kit. I personally would like a drop. However, I am gonna wait 6 months and see what effect the H&R springs have on long term damper reliability, because having driven the car on track I am a big believer in EDC. I think for most people it provides the best of both worlds in terms of everyday comfort and trackability. Would not want to see it compromised by aftermarket springs.

Glad to hear I am not alone on the exhaust though

Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Since I heard the first stock and aftermarket sounds clips I've been saying that the stock has the best "tone". To this date, I have not heard of an aftermarket system that beats stock in that regard. It is true that stock is a bit muted at low rpms. At first, I had a problem with this, especially before the break-in with the 5500rpm constraint. Now that I can go above that, I understand where BMW engineers were coming from as the exhaust is plenty loud up top and I personally would not want it any louder as I commute in this car. Even with the stock setup, if I redline the thing, people on the street stop doing what they are doing and stare at my car, which I'd rather not happen.

However, having said all this, I would like to be able to get rid of 40lbs and gain 10 hp with a proper aftermarket system that is not too loud and does not spoil the stock tone too much. Haven't found it yet. I'm currently eying the VS system, but I haven't heard any drive-by sound clips yet.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I guess I might differ just tiny bit. Louder at low rpms would be good and maybe just a tad louder at high rpm. I have heard the car plenty at low and high rpm from inside but am quite keen to hear more from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

I think the REMUS sport exhaust will fit the bill. I believe it can be had for around $1100. Personally, I'd rather wait for someone in my area to get it first and then decide. Although I highly doubt I will notice a 10hp gain of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I think the REMUS sport exhaust will fit the bill. I believe it can be had for around $1100.
Where?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #13
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
http://www.modacar.com/products/BMW/...ckexhaust.html

don't know if they are reputable, however.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #14
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

I was doing research on aftermarket exhausts before I even got my car based on reading comments in the forum. Now that I have it and intend to keep it for 3-4 years and provided I do long distances on a regular basis I don't think I'll be changing the oem exhaust. It is not that quiet at all and the quality of the tone is superb. From outside the car it is pure bliss.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Apparently no one has the Remus exhaust systems in stock....that stinks.
Appreciate 0