F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 3 months and 3000 miles!
Studio RSR

11-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

3 months and 3000 miles!

Almost 3 months to the day and after (just over) 3000 miles I've now had a chance to appreciate the differences between my previous (much loved!) 435i and my current LCI 440i.

Externally the all LED rear lights look good, up to date and modern but then I always liked the pre LCI ones anyway so that was hardly likely to be a deal breaker! The front 'icon' adaptive LEDs likewise really as I had adaptive LEDs on the 435i anyway. Typical BMW 'mild facelift' to re-ignite showroom interest whilst trying not to damage residuals on the pre LCI cars too much.

Internally the big difference is ID6 and digital cockpit, I think they have a bigger visual impact on an otherwise familiar environment despite changing the trim finishers from the previous car. The additional electroplating on some of the switches and around the air vents is a nice touch which together with the double stitching line on the upper dash seems to make the interior fel a bit more upmarket, not that there was anything wrong with the layout and ergonomics of the original 'launch spec' car.

Driving it however was the far bigger surprise!

I would go so far as to say that in that regard alone it feels like a completely different car. I posted a thread on here 4 years ago entitled "Real world driving impressions" about my 'new' 435i and how much a change it was from my previous E92 335i and posting this now almost feels like a case of deja vue!
I've owned almost 20 BMWs over a period of 35 years and had many pre and post facelifted of LCI cars in that time and can honestly say this is the most marked difference between a pre and post LCI model I have experienced. The B58 engine is very different in it's characteristics compared to the N55, style of power delivery, smoothness, sound, response,....the 435i (with the MPPK) was superb, this one just raises the bar!
The suspension is noticeably different as well, the 440i feeling much more 'planted' on the road and a sense of increased surefootedness notwithstanding the 435i never gave me any 'heart stopping' moments (maybe I wasn't driving it hard enough!) and both cars have adaptive M sport suspension from factory build.
The steering feels more positive too, not heavy particularly, just a feeling of it being more robust and again both have variable sport steering from factory build.
In respect of the suspension and steering a lot of the difference in 'feel' may well be attributed to now running on Bridgestone Potenza S001s on the 440i as opposed to Goodyear Eagle F1s which were on the 435i, who knows?

All in all I'm loving the experience with the 'new' car and have to say I'm pleased the dealer offered me a deal that, excuse the cliche, I couldn't walk away from with the product support from BMW that was being offered at the time. Had it not been for that I would have happily kept the 435i, it was a great car and hopefully still is now that it's in the hands of another forum member! But you know what....I'm glad now I didn't!
Appreciate 4
      11-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: soon to be 440iM Sport Coupe

Nice to know as I am only just over 400 miles in on mine 😆
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

Interesting review, it sounds like the LCI on the 4 has been a big success.
I'll admit the '40 engine is a peach and completely moved away from the 'old' feeling '35.

But for the ride, plantedness, feel etc, old to new tyres alone can give a big change, and then brand changes even more so.

It's hard to compare and be really fair without side by side testing with new rubber.

Nice car btw!
Appreciate 0