E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can’t shift/multiple errors

11-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
2chenz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Can’t shift/multiple errors

My car died on me on the freeway about a week ago.

Entered limp mode and gave me transmission errors, abs error, power steering, traction error, etc. It was stuck in first gear until it shut itself off because the engine temp was getting too hot.

Next day, nothing in the car worked. No radio, no lights, etc. I took out my old battery and threw it on a charger.

The car started up, but I can’t shift out of park!

I went to work, came home and found that nothing works on the car again. I replaced the battery, but I’m still having the same problems (won’t shift, same errors).

I’ve done some googling, seems like it might be the battery or alternator, but no one mentioned any problems with shifting out of park. The only thing I had in common were the error messages.

Getting pretty annoyed. Any insight would be appreciated!

EDIT: when I start it up, I can shift if I do it immediately, but it causes the car to jerk when I shift into D or R. I didn’t do it any more after that.

Last edited by 2chenz; 11-02-2017 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
2chenz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
New battery, same issue. Dead overnight. Any thoughts? Alternator?

I did install some cheapy LED license plate lights from Amazon. Same brand I’ve always used with no issues. They didn’t fit as well as the last pair, I kinda had to force it in a little.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

You need to read some codes. It's hard to tell what's going on even though your explaining your issue pretty well.

Just guessing, it could be a power issue, or it could be a tranny issue. My dad's 7 series had a similar issue with his tranny that it wouldn't shift at all. He had to replace a seal or something and had new fluid pumped in. Problem was solved.

I'd try getting some codes read first and go from there.
Appreciate 0