F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Passenger seat rattle
Studio RSR

11-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Gurvini
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' 318D M Sport

Passenger seat rattle

I have an extremely annoying passenger rattle that is coming from which I believe to be the back part of the seat. If I push it in with my hand you can hear the spring noise so you can imagine when I have a passenger sat in the seat and I go over bumps or any uneven road surface which there is plenty of in the UK the noise is pretty constant.

NOW after fiddling with the seat, I have another noise which sounds like a vibration of some sort just constant when I accelerate/turn, etc etc when I don't have a passenger in the seat!!! I'm honestly getting fed up with this now.

I contact BMW and they said yes we'll have a look, BUT it has to be a weekday and we need the car all day.

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a solution? any help will be grateful before I sell it!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Gurvini
Private
Rep

Anyone? it's literally driving my insane and not want to even drive the car
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

This happened to me too. If I dropped my phone on the seat while the car was stopped, it would rattle. It rattled the entire time I drove. I just bent a plastic clip on the bottom of the seat outward and shoved every nearby wire into that clip. Rattle has been gone for months now.
      11-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I have had a rattle in the drivers' seat base in both my F30 and previous F10. In both cases the cars were under warranty and the dealer just replaced the seat bases.

If your car is under warranty, I expect they will just replace the seat back in your case.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Gurvini
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
This happened to me too. If I dropped my phone on the seat while the car was stopped, it would rattle. It rattled the entire time I drove. I just bent a plastic clip on the bottom of the seat outward and shoved every nearby wire into that clip. Rattle has been gone for months now.
I drop my phone on the seat when I drive too, but this isn't coming as a result of the phone, it's either from the seat or under the seat or from somewhere in the door card. It's very very difficult to pinpoint as it's a vibration/buzzing could also be mistaken for a static sound but isn't.

And it doesn't do it when the car is stopped, only when I'm driving/going over not super smooth roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Gurvini
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I have had a rattle in the drivers' seat base in both my F30 and previous F10. In both cases the cars were under warranty and the dealer just replaced the seat bases.

If your car is under warranty, I expect they will just replace the seat back in your case.
It is under warranty, but being under warranty they want the car the whole day to run diagnostics etc etc. So it's a lot of hassle, especially when most of us work! and they only do it weekdays, which is even more awkward.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvini View Post
It is under warranty, but being under warranty they want the car the whole day to run diagnostics etc etc. So it's a lot of hassle, especially when most of us work! and they only do it weekdays, which is even more awkward.
They should give you a loan car for the duration and hopefully be flexible enough to allow you to drop it off the night before, or early morning. They might even collect it from you, although I'm not keen on that option after a delivery driver managed to badly kerb a wheel of a one day old M5 while they were fitting a tracker.

If you want them to deal with the problem, there really is no choice but to find a way to leave it there.
Appreciate 0