E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW Doesnt "Void" Warranties

05-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Robertbog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

BMW Doesnt "Void" Warranties

The time has come to clear this up a little, RE: To the NY'er that is pissed

Mitsubishi "Voids" warranties, BMW is more sophisticated than that.

Had an interesting discussion with an SA and a PUMA/BMWUSA rep. BMW's black flag system is designed to alert any BMWAG networked dealer (All of them) of any possible violations on the car caused by the owner. When a dealership sees this flag they are spoused to reexamine the issue and see if it is solved and then, if resolved, PUMA will come look over the car again and delete the flag/reverse it, if not resolved you will be denied warranty work.

BMW warranties are not something that get "voided" warranty complaints generally become very long, drawn out, and in every single case everyone I know (Long list) and I have heard of has been reversed due to this system.

Chill out guys, even if you get caught you will come out ok. This doesnt mean go get caught, it means dont panic.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

LOL everyone here is a case of panic attack.

OMG WTF my car just put this half engine light on the dash??!?!?11?? what does it mean? did I get limp mode? am I gonna be voided cuz of my procede?

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Hmmm... that's pretty interesting. I had no idea BMW was so forgiving.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Robertbog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
You would hope so with a 58k car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Slow335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SG E90 335i

THANK YOU! Thankyouthankyouthankyou...Robertbog FTW. All I did was scream this whenever I see the warranty posts/threads every 2 minutes, I just never had the balls to put my own post up.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
BMW loves us . You know that haha
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Did someone say panic?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Did someone say panic?
RUNNNN!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the clarification on the warranty situation with BMW.

I am literally waiting as long as possible to get my seat fixed because I KNOW they will update my Progman, and they will KNOW that the ECU has been fooled around with.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Well theres this relief inside of me now that I didn't have for the past week.

Honestly, all three or four cases on this website of warranty issues have all been resolved by going back to stock and a reinspection.

People should be very happy BMW is forgiving. From what I've heard, and as Robertbog said, Mitsu would rip your warranty away in a heartbeat.

Of course this doesn't mean I'm about to go to the dealer with mods in. It's still universally stupid to do that.
      05-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I have an interesting email from a friend who works at a dealer that I'll post later if he gives me the "ok." The email came from a BMWNA factory rep.
      05-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
I have an interesting email from a friend who works at a dealer that I'll post later if he gives me the "ok." The email came from a BMWNA factory rep.
teaser
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
cwn23
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Shit just the thought of shelling out money to fix a BMW will make me shit on myself...I can understand why people are scared of losing warranty....Don't bash people for this....money to some people are hard to come by and just the thought off this can scare many, Boost Nation was one of those people that thought he was invincible, until his car had problems, look what happened to him with his post!!! Everyone talks and speaks a good game, but when problems finally hits people personally on their cars, I bet their tone will change like a baby crying for milk....Everyone has their own opinions and decisions..Don't bash just read or stay quiet
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335 View Post
teaser
      05-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
If everybody is so scared, don't mod your car!!!

PERIOD!!!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #16
emjei
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW M3 Coupe

that means that I can keep my 260 + sticker's hp in place for service.....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #17
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwn23 View Post
Shit just the thought of shelling out money to fix a BMW will make me shit on myself...I can understand why people are scared of losing warranty....Don't bash people for this....money to some people are hard to come by and just the thought off this can scare many, Boost Nation was one of those people that thought he was invincible, until his car had problems, look what happened to him with his post!!! Everyone talks and speaks a good game, but when problems finally hits people personally on their cars, I bet their tone will change like a baby crying for milk....Everyone has their own opinions and decisions..Don't bash just read or stay quiet

well he didnt take off the mods, there was only two things that were gonna happen.

has there ever been a warranty denied after all the performance items have beem properly removed and put back to stock?
so far i havent heard of a warranty being denied like this?

Quote:
teaser

for real!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
If everybody is so scared, don't mod your car!!!

PERIOD!!!

These guys hate it when you make sense.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
BMW loves us . You know that haha
Nah, BMW loves our money.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #20
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

So how would a leased dinan tuned car apply to your findings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbog View Post

Had an interesting discussion with an SA and a PUMA/BMWUSA rep. BMW's black flag system is designed to alert any BMWAG networked dealer (All of them) of any possible violations on the car caused by the owner. When a dealership sees this flag they are spoused to reexamine the issue and see if it is solved and then, if resolved, PUMA will come look over the car again and delete the flag/reverse it, if not resolved you will be denied warranty work.

BMW warranties are not something that get "voided" warranty complaints generally become very long, drawn out, and in every single case everyone I know (Long list) and I have heard of has been reversed due to this system.

Chill out guys, even if you get caught you will come out ok. This doesnt mean go get caught, it means dont panic.
      05-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #21
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbog View Post

I don't know... I appreciate the information you're presenting, but I'm still skeptical. According to what you said, you could do whatever you wanted to the car, blow the turbos, take your mod off (thereby "resolving" it), and BMW would still take responsibility. I realize this is an exaggerated scenario, but it makes my point. I don't think BMW is quite that generous.

In anything you do, you have to be ready to accept the consequences of your own actions. If you mod your car and damage the engine, be ready to pay up. Some of you are expecting BMW to take a hit for you... you're expecting them to pay for what you broke. Grow up and take some responsibility. Or if you don't want to grow up, at least stop bitching.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #22
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
I think what the poster was saying is...and this is regarding the exaggerated scenario...

If you have a fully functioning vehicle, with no problems, or completed unrelated issues to your chip essentially. BMW will not just void your warranty because you have the tune and your seat is breaking, or, you have some other engine related issue such as oil dripping (example)...They will service and honor their warranty in these cases, and in the cases of a leased car, if you return it stock, and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, you will still have your warranty (if you are within the period).

However, BMW will not honor your warranty for a blown turbo etc, if they find you had a tune...thats not logical, given the fact that the tune clearly exerts higher forces on the turbo.

Essentially, BMW doesnt auto void your warranty with a tune, if you bring it in stock, and you have a problem that would be entirely unrelated to your tune, you have your warranty as long as the car is in stock form as shown. If you have potentially tune related issues (which, arguably are a lot of things given the higher exerted force on the engine)...then they arent exactly going to throw you a few new turbos and give you a high five

(or at least I think this is what was meant...)
Appreciate 0