E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radio Display Disappeared!

03-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Radio Display Disappeared!

I went to the mall today to buy a new pair of sunglasses. I got a nice pair of Ray Ban's with polarized lenses. I got back out to my car and was just about to pull out of the parking lot when I looked down (through my new sunglasses) and the display on the radio was blank! I turned the radio off and then back on again, but still no display.

Then I leaned over and all of a sudden the display showed back up again. Turns out the sunglasses were somehow filtering out the light from the display so that it appeared completely blank. If I turned my head one way, I could see the radio but the climate control display was blank. Then I turned my head back, and the radio display disappeared and the climate control display was back. It is really annoying. Is there anyway to adjust the color or brightness of the radio display to try and fix this problem? Has anyone else come across this before?
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
I went to the mall today to buy a new pair of sunglasses. I got a nice pair of Ray Ban's with polarized lenses. I got back out to my car and was just about to pull out of the parking lot when I looked down (through my new sunglasses) and the display on the radio was blank! I turned the radio off and then back on again, but still no display.

Then I leaned over and all of a sudden the display showed back up again. Turns out the sunglasses were somehow filtering out the light from the display so that it appeared completely blank. If I turned my head one way, I could see the radio but the climate control display was blank. Then I turned my head back, and the radio display disappeared and the climate control display was back. It is really annoying. Is there anyway to adjust the color or brightness of the radio display to try and fix this problem? Has anyone else come across this before?
Yes I have a pair of Oakley's that do the same thing. It's because of the way that polarized lens handle light. See below...

How Do Polarized Lenses Work?
Light reflected from surfaces like a flat road or smooth water is generally horizontally polarized. This horizontally polarized light is blocked by the vertically oriented polarizers in the lenses.

The result: a reduction in annoying and sometimes dangerous glare.

There is some debate on the effects of polarized lenses on snow-covered surfaces. Some experts say they can reduce the intense glare that is caused by sunlight reflecting off snow. Others purport that the lenses are not satisfactory for sports such as downhill skiing because they may not provide the contrast the eye needs to distinguish ice patches or moguls.

In addition, polarized lenses may also react adversely with liquid crystal displays (LCDs) found on the dashboards of some cars or in other places such as the digital screens on automatic teller (bank) machines. The problem with LCDs is that when viewed through polarized lenses from a certain angle, they can be invisible.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep

I wish the sunglass guy had mentioned that. I could have just bought sunglasses without polarized lenses. Now I have to tilt my head every time I want to see what is on the radio. So, is there anything you can do to fix it so you can see? I can still see the readout on the odometer, temperature, time, etc. I can even read the radio, but only if I tilt my head the right way.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Tilting your head is the only option other than getting different lenses. Being able to see it through those polarized lenses is all about the angle at which you look.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Do a search.
Someone has been able to stick a transparency film onto the display to shift the polarization angle by 90 degrees so that your polarized sunglasses can still work.

This is one of the things on the E90 that really bugs me. If BMW could get the central LCD display to work with polarized sunglasses, why couldn't they do the same for the radio display?
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #6
RPD_UK
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320iSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
This is one of the things on the E90 that really bugs me. If BMW could get the central LCD display to work with polarized sunglasses, why couldn't they do the same for the radio display?

I have just picked up my UK spec E90. Either they have fixed it or we have different spec displays here, because I can read the display perfectly with my polarized glasses on. If I turn my head on the side, then da-daaaa it dissapears!

Not much help to you I know, but maybe they are listening!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
Do a search.
Someone has been able to stick a transparency film onto the display to shift the polarization angle by 90 degrees so that your polarized sunglasses can still work.

I found this in another topic where this was discussed. You can get film from here.

http://www.3dlens.com/enter.html

Title: Transmissive Polarizer 200 x 250mm
Price: $ 9.00
Weight: 20 gms
Item Number: #POAT-S (tip:when you search for the item number, do the search using names and descriptions)

Rotate it in front of your Radio Display until you can see through it
with your polarized glasses on.
Measure and cut the sheet to fit the display.

I just ordered some so this should take care of my issue.

Last edited by Carnage; 03-05-2006 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I had a non iDrive 325i today as a loaner today and I personally found the display lcd too low for my taste. It might be because I am too used to iDrive now but I don't really find it convenient..
      03-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
I found this in another topic where this was discussed. You can get film from here.

perfect!

Appreciate 0