F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Snow chains/socks
ARMA SPEED

11-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Snow chains/socks

Hi all
Handbook says no; but are there snow socks/chains that will fit on 19” wheels 403’s on a msport f30 s drive?
Debating taking it to alps in the winter, I’ll have snow tyres but just want to be legal for the French fuzz.

Plenty of websites list products but all gave disclaimers about actual fit; especially as hand book says no!

Has anyone had first hand experience of anything and able to recommend something. I’ve used socks a number of times on other cars that are fwd and found them ok but feel they will be under more pressure on rwd possibly,
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

main issue is clearance round the arch, I've got winter wheels and chains for them 18", these are a really tight fit if you're going to the alps then odds are you're going to be fully loaded so can't see you fitting them without a jack.

so far I've only dry fitted mine in the garage and it was a squeeze.

Personally I'd say you best solution is winter wheels and socks, but the safest solution would be winter wheels and chains

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Not sure socks cut it with the French police. Autosocks website says they are, but can't find it anywhere else.

You can find chains for 19's easily enough, but you don't want to use them if you can help it, they can scratch you alloys to bits.

Also, try actually fitting them before you go, I couldn't get my hand over the wheel to fit snow socks to my 4 series. Gap is just too small.

I was looking last night and thinking of ordering some of these cables for mine, don't look as rough as chains and require less clearance.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands...6-tire-chains/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
330Stevie
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Not sure socks cut it with the French police. Autosocks website says they are, but can't find it anywhere else.

You can find chains for 19's easily enough, but you don't want to use them if you can help it, they can scratch you alloys to bits.

Also, try actually fitting them before you go, I couldn't get my hand over the wheel to fit snow socks to my 4 series. Gap is just too small.

I was looking last night and thinking of ordering some of these cables for mine, don't look as rough as chains and require less clearance.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands...6-tire-chains/
Auto socks didn’t raise an eyebrow with French police a couple of years back; so reckon they’ll be fine; it’s just a case of fitting as you say. I’m thinking I’ll just carry on as usual in the family car where it isn’t an issue. Cheers for reply; let me know how you get on if you do order those chains tho 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
Auto socks didn’t raise an eyebrow with French police a couple of years back; so reckon they’ll be fine; it’s just a case of fitting as you say. I’m thinking I’ll just carry on as usual in the family car where it isn’t an issue. Cheers for reply; let me know how you get on if you do order those chains tho 👍🏻
I've got some old snow socks in the garage, might see if they fit if you've been ok before. They were for 285 wide 20's on an XF I used to have, not sure they'll stretch over the 21's on our Q7 though.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Also have a couple of sets of Autosocks in the garage. Maybe have a look on their website and let us know which size you need?

https://www.snowchainshop.co.uk/pages/autosock-selector
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #7
330Stevie
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
I've got some old snow socks in the garage, might see if they fit if you've been ok before. They were for 285 wide 20's on an XF I used to have, not sure they'll stretch over the 21's on our Q7 though.
I have Autosocks as a brand; I do believe however that only certain brands are accepted by French police. I’ve only heard that anecdotally though.
Appreciate 0