F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Auto gearbox and sport mode on 335d
GetBMWParts

11-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

Auto gearbox and sport mode on 335d

First journey in the 335d and trying to figure out this gearbox.

I want sport mode on so the steering feels half decent, but the gearbox is driving around like I'm driving a 1.0 petrol engine.

I assumed gearbox when pushed left/right was sport/normal, but it seems putting the car in sport mode via button also changes the shifting.

Is there any way to isolate the two?

Ideally I want the gears to only go into sport when I change gear lever to sport.

But happy for gears to remain normal or eco pro in those button modes.

I was told it's a learning system, is it? Can it be reset?

The engine is so torquey I really don't get why it's wanting to be in such low gears so often, especially running along steady state at like 2000rpm at 40mph!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I own a manual car) but I think you can go into the settings on the idrive and set it so sport mode is chassis only so you get the heavier steering but not the gear box and throttle changes. Pushing the stick left into DS mode will still change throttle response and gear shift points as it does in comfort mode when you move the stick left into DS though.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Indeed. sounds like you got one of these top two selected. Just select chassis only instead. Chassis only will just affect the steering and adaptive suspension, if you have it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

Rubbish isn't it?
Each sport mode seems to select a lower gear and increased revs.
I think it's designed around a petrol engine which would make more sense to have the revs higher.
It's ironic, if you then use a manual shift (paddle or use the stick) , the gear indication suggest you keep changing up the gears to where you
started from, to get the revs down!

Bonkers.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
Rubbish isn't it?
I think it's designed around a petrol engine which would make more sense to have the revs higher.
It's ironic, if you then use a manual shift (paddle or use the stick) , the gear indication suggest you keep changing up the gears to where you

Bonkers.
That's why many people have flashed the Alpina settings into the gearbox.

The revs don't rise when changing to Sports Mode and generally keeps everything less frantic.

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #6
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
Rubbish isn't it?

Bonkers.
True - do many people actually drive diesels in sport mode? I spend half my day in traffic, what use is sport mode there?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Changed that setting and done the pretty route into Bridlington from the West today, much much nicer gears, and chassis/steering shining through too.

Looking forward to the run back later!

Now if I could get eco pro gears with sport steering... hmmm. More iDrive digging to do!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #8
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
True - do many people actually drive diesels in sport mode? I spend half my day in traffic, what use is sport mode there?
erm, yes... Far better throttle response for a start!
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
erm, yes... Far better throttle response for a start!
This. It's less about dropping a cog for me, and more about negating the delayed throttle response in Comfort. There's a good recent thread on pedal boxes which address this particular issue.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
That's why many people have flashed the Alpina settings into the gearbox.

The revs don't rise when changing to Sports Mode and generally keeps everything less frantic.
That's going on my Christmas list then.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #11
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
And the other half of the day?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Sorry to say this but you need to buy an Audi

The drive select is a league ahead of my BMW. In my Audi I can select sport (Dynamic) and then flick the gear lever back to D from S. There it will stay until I change it again, I think that's what the OP is after. Unlike BMW who return the system to Comfort every switch off the Aldi stays where it is left until I want to play with it. Plus Audi dynamic steering is better than comfort, unlike my BMW where sport steering is just more viscous version of comfort, making it, if anything, less feelsome.
Oh and it always shows the gear I am in, and I can have coasting (or not) in whatever mode I like. and and and.
But I suppose Aldi is more expensive, car for car after discounts. Yer pays yer munny.....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
SteRaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D XD Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDriver View Post
Are you? Looks like you took great pleasure in those comments!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
I assumed gearbox when pushed left/right was sport/normal, but it seems putting the car in sport mode via button also changes the shifting.

Is there any way to isolate the two?

I was told it's a learning system, is it? Can it be reset?
Remember besides the chassis/drivetrain options, putting the shifter in M/S position is not the same as the Sport mode drivetrain programming.

If you are using the 'drivetrain' Sport mode option, then put the shifter to M/S takes the gearbox to the full sport program. Sport mode is a sort of 'half-way' mode.

The driver influenced learning part is a real time adaptation. Your current inputs and driving conditions dictate the behaviour. Change your style (at any time) and/or the driving environment and it adapts along with you. Flick the shifter to M/S and back at any time to break the current adaptation.

For example, you are in a slow moving traffic flow and the gearbox settles to low rpm changes, a flick to M/S and back wakes it up again, ready for any immediate action.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #15
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteRaw View Post
Are you? Looks like you took great pleasure in those comments!
Sorry for the OP! Not really great pleasure as I'm currently running both so it is 50% my gripe too.

Yes it is true that I am amazed at the leaps made by Audi with their newest offering on my drive, maybe my enthusiasm is a tad misplaced stating so on this forum But as I said, they are more expensive, car for car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDriver View Post

The drive select is a league ahead of my BMW.
The G30 shows BMW are now giving more individual options and choices. I'm sure the G20 will also move the game on.

I wouldn't say "a league ahead", just that BMW hasn't seen the necessity to give all the options to bread and butter models, keep the wider options/choices for the M-cars. I've seen it argued in BMW data, that some 'combinations' are not logical, why they haven't offered them. Clearly many customers don't agree, want more choice in performance selection.

To balance it up a bit, some BMW users still feel there shouldn't be any need for options anyway, just set it up as 'sporty' and that's it. Once we get options and choices there are always going to be users who want more and more options.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Ahhh jeez it's getting complex haha.

So sport mode is chassis (steering/dampers if fitted), and drivetrain (gearbox and throttle?)

Or is throttle part of chassis?

The sport mode can just do either or both.

Then gearbox has normal and sport.

Sport gearbox plus sport mode drivetrain is superior to just sport gearbox in sport mode (where sport mode is set to chassis only?)

So if you set sport mode to only adjust chassis, you can never access the best sporty gearbox mode?

Or does sport mode (with drivetrain off) activate sport mode drivetrain when the gearbox is changed to sport mode?

That would make more sense to me.

So the sport mode chassis only toggle just means you don't get the half baked sporty shifting in sport mode, and only get it when going to gearbox sport mode.

Hmmmm.

Either way I've done 160 miles today along a, b and c roads across N Yorks and enjoyed every minute.

Sport mode (drivetrain off) but not sport gearbox.

Very hard to drive the car and use all its power, especially with our 7 month old on board still backwards facing.
Can't wait till he's forward facing haha
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'll attempt to answer from use of my own car.

Quote:
Ahhh jeez it's getting complex haha.

So sport mode is chassis (steering/dampers if fitted), and drivetrain (gearbox and throttle?) YES

Or is throttle part of chassis? NO

The sport mode can just do either or both. YES

Then gearbox has normal and sport. YES, with variations on whether you are in Comfort or Sport mode.

Sport gearbox plus sport mode drivetrain is superior to just sport gearbox in sport mode (where sport mode is set to chassis only?) Sport gearbox has higher shift points than Sport mode.

So if you set sport mode to only adjust chassis, you can never access the best sporty gearbox mode? Not the most aggressive settings, but toggling to Sport+ engages sport drivetrain mode. Then put the shifter to M/S for the full works, including 'full' manual mode.

Or does sport mode (with drivetrain off) activate sport mode drivetrain when the gearbox is changed to sport mode? I'd say similar to the Sport mode with drivetrain checked.

That would make more sense to me.

So the sport mode chassis only toggle just means you don't get the half baked sporty shifting in sport mode, and only get it when going to gearbox sport mode. With drivetrain unchecked, toggling to Sport+ mode and it engages the sport drivetrain mode. Flicking the shifter to M/S puts the gearbox in full sport program.

Hmmmm.

Either way I've done 160 miles today along a, b and c roads across N Yorks and enjoyed every minute.

Sport mode (drivetrain off) but not sport gearbox.

Very hard to drive the car and use all its power, especially with our 7 month old on board still backwards facing.
Can't wait till he's forward facing haha

Last edited by HighlandPete; 11-08-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Ah I forgot about sport+

I suppose if inclined you can set that then go to manual box and have full control and get sharp everything, but still drive it gently along using torque.

Then in sport mode just have the heavier steering only.

Kind of a shame that the throttle wasn't an option too, so sport mode had throttle, dampers, steering and gearbox options.

So sport+ just loosens traction control at lower speeds from what I read, but still keeps the car stable, unless you turn DSC fully off.

The main issue I find with the gearbox is it'll spend more time slushing gears rather than just spooling up the turbos in the gear it's in and getting you to the speed you wanted anyway.

It's ok as there is manual mode but whoever calibrated the gear shift vs throttle input tables must have been a bit of a numpty driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's ok as there is manual mode but whoever calibrated the gear shift vs throttle input tables must have been a bit of a numpty driver.
What's wrong? I know some diesel drivers feel it is not ideal. Is some of it your point on the gearbox working? Rather than riding the full torque in auto mode.

No issues in my 535i, where the throttle and gear shifts are well matched. Both good with normal and sport throttle programming.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #21
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

It can just seem to get it wrong, dropping a couple of gears over just riding the torque in the gear it's already in.

In the end this is where manual mode is a fine alternative because the tuning of auto mode will never be perfect for the users varied needs and knowledge of the road ahead and what they intend to do.

It's generally fine, I'm just being picky really.
If you're not in a hurry what does it matter.
If you are then manual mode and amble along in the torque at WOT in higher gears.
Appreciate 0