F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wiper / washer jet glitch
proTUNING Freaks

11-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Wiper / washer jet glitch

Yesterday, my washer jets decided they would not dispense fluid. The strange thing was, the wipers did not activate either when the stalk was pulled in.
There was no low screen wash warning. Temp was above 5c.

Got home, topped up with some water and after a few tugs...of the wiper stalk, all is well again.

I'm wondering if the low fluid sensor is faulty?

I know you can still use the screen wash system when the level is low and if I remember correctly, the warning goes from amber to red when it's really low. However, does anyone know if when the screen wash reservoir is completely empty, is the car smart enough to disable the wipers to avoid screen damage?

In the meantime, I'll run the fluid down again to see if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

I ran in to this situation on the F31 and I know that the front rear wipers still work even if there is no fluid in the reservoir as you might still need to use it in case of a downpour or following a truck on wet roads.
When you pull the front stalk towards you the motors still whir even if there is no fluid in there. But when you push the stalk away for the rear the rear washer jet does not turn on. In fact it does not turn on at all if there is a warning on the dash. But the rear wiper does.
Also the front headlight washers are disabled if low fluid warning is triggered.
Appreciate 0