F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > XENON vs LED, setting for right hand driving in Europe
ARMA SPEED

11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
MikeMinh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i GT (F34)

XENON vs LED, setting for right hand driving in Europe

Probably only relevant in the UK, at least for those who occasionally make it to the continent.

From memory, Xenon headlights had a lever or setting to point the beam slightly different for driving on the right hand side in continental Europe.

This avoids the sticky deflectors some people put on when they go to Europe.
Do LED headlights still have such a lever or need this?

Are LEDs actually as bright or even brighter than Xenon?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 330d

I may be wrong but I think the LED lights are flat beam and don't require any switching.

i think adaptive headlights need something switched in the I drive tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

F3x Xenons are not switchable to driving on right side so they need stickers. F10 does have a setting in idrive.

LED’s don’t need to be switched or stickers.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
F3x Xenons are not switchable to driving on right side so they need stickers. F10 does have a setting in idrive.

LED’s don’t need to be switched or stickers.
My manual states the opposite to what you're saying?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
My manual states the opposite to what you're saying?
That is bizarre, definitely the opposite of what mine says!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

I have adaptive xenons on my 440i and can confirm that there is no lever and that BMW insists that no adjustment is required and all you need to do is not use the Adaptive feature.

However, on my first trip abroad in it, I found that driving at night on motorways, I did tend to get flashed at by oncoming truck drivers even with the adaptive switched off.

I suggest you ask the dealer or a mechanic to check the beam height as I eventually took my car into the local BMW dealer in Italy and they determined that the beam height was set too high, adjusted it down a bit and that seemed to solve the issue. My mother had the same problem when she got her Countryman Cooper S - she kept being flashed by oncoming traffic, took it back to the Mini dealer and they also found that the xenons were set too high, so adjusted them down and that solved the problem.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Teatray View Post
I have adaptive xenons on my 440i and can confirm that there is no lever and that BMW insists that no adjustment is required and all you need to do is not use the Adaptive feature.

However, on my first trip abroad in it, I found that driving at night on motorways, I did tend to get flashed at by oncoming truck drivers even with the adaptive switched off.

I suggest you ask the dealer or a mechanic to check the beam height as I eventually took my car into the local BMW dealer in Italy and they determined that the beam height was set too high, adjusted it down a bit and that seemed to solve the issue. My mother had the same problem when she got her Countryman Cooper S - she kept being flashed by oncoming traffic, took it back to the Mini dealer and they also found that the xenons were set too high, so adjusted them down and that solved the problem.
Strange it was only truck drivers, you’d have thought their higher seating position would mean the opposite!

Bit harsh of them to keep showing you their cocks though!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Teatray View Post

Strange it was only truck drivers, you’d have thought their higher seating position would mean the opposite!

Bit harsh of them to keep showing you their cocks though!
Very liberal those Europeans.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      11-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
MikeMinh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

It seems "adaptive" can mean many things in different car series or manufacturing years. Interesting that different car manuals explain it different.

This video explains a lot but is already from 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-dvPZ3H1Vm4?rel=0 (How on earth can I embed a video properly? Tried it in 4 diff ways, none of them seem to work)

Regardless, how would even the most advanced version of adaptive headlights know that it's being used in a right side driving country?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMinh View Post
It seems "adaptive" can mean many things in different car series or manufacturing years. Interesting that different car manuals explain it different.

This video explains a lot but is already from 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-dvPZ3H1Vm4?rel=0 (How on earth can I embed a video properly? Tried it in 4 diff ways, none of them seem to work)

Regardless, how would even the most advanced version of adaptive headlights know that it's being used in a right side driving country?
Adaptive headlights just means the headlights move left and right with the steering wheel. On F3x combined with HBA they do the ‘dancing headlights’.

It could know what side to drive on quite easily using the GPS location! (which I believe the Gxx does)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:44 AM   #11
MikeMinh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Adaptive headlights just means the headlights move left and right with the steering wheel. On F3x combined with HBA they do the ‘dancing headlights’.

It could know what side to drive on quite easily using the GPS location! (which I believe the Gxx does)
Well, according to this BMW technology guide (click) it's more complex.
The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.

Sensors measure speed, steering angle and yaw (degree of rotation around the vertical axis). Based on this information, small electric motors turn the headlights left or right so the beam falls on the road ahead, guiding you into the bend.

Headlight beam throw control (a model-specific function) means the front headlights are raised at high speeds and lowered at slower speeds, which results in a wider beam for inner-city driving.

The adaptive headlight range control (a model-specific function) takes into consideration the vertical curve of the road. The headlight beam throw control is lowered when driving over a knoll and raised when the vehicle is in a dip.

The result: every single curve is illuminated and the oncoming traffic isn’t dazzled unnecessarily. Driving at night is even safer, particularly when visibility is poor.

Adaptive Headlights are only active when the vehicle is pulling away. They stay switched off when the BMW is in reverse and when the steering wheel is turned to the left while the vehicle is stationary {e.g. when pulling out of a parallel parking space} to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Adaptive Headlights are complemented by cornering lights. These are automatically activated at speeds of up to 70 km/h and improve visibility in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle, which is useful when driving along hairpin bends, turning or parking.
Mine has only ordinary halogens, hence I can't simply try it out. For the time being I just get by when I drive in Europe, I might lower the height of the beam with the respective dashboard dial, which is a compromise.

Fun fact: My quoted text above contains the word "parking space". This word followed by a closing bracket is not accepted by this forum and gets replaced by ******. Is "space" sooo offensive these days?
Appreciate 0