BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

How does the hood close?

I went to the dealership to get the airbag recall fix for my F25. I see a G01 30i in the showroom. I'm trying to open the hood, pull once and got to the front to unlatch the hood. Nothing down there, the salesman says, you pull the hood switch twice to open. Ok, so now it's open. I check out the new 4 banger twin scroll, that's nice. I try to close it. Nothing. Just stayed position 1 when I pulled the latch once. I try to slam the hood down to close, nothing pops right back up. At that point I don't want to pay for any cosmetic damages, I transition to the waiting area with tv and couches. Someone enlighten me please.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      11-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
I went to the dealership to get the airbag recall fix for my F25. I see a G01 30i in the showroom. I'm trying to open the hood, pull once and got to the front to unlatch the hood. Nothing down there, the salesman says, you pull the hood switch twice to open. Ok, so now it's open. I check out the new 4 banger twin scroll, that's nice. I try to close it. Nothing. Just stayed position 1 when I pulled the latch once. I try to slam the hood down to close, nothing pops right back up. At that point I don't want to pay for any cosmetic damages, I transition to the waiting area with tv and couches. Someone enlighten me please.
The front hood closing is different, and those of us used to the 2nd Gen X3 line should probably take a bit of care in this. Your salesman was correct, and you do have to pull the latch twice and there is no front hood lever to move. It is then free to lift, and I think I mentioned that in passing in our delivery thread when I was showing photographs of the engine. But the closing part...

This is where we do need to be diligent I think. This is a much more forceful close than what we had previously. And until folks get used to this, it would be prudent to double check the edge seems laterally to make sure it is fully shut. I say that, as I had a family member ask me whether the hood was fully closed on the right side when we dropped some items by one day (after I had recharged the battery the night before), and indeed it was not. And that was after I knew it needed a hard close.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Now something is starting to click. I recall a photo bwcooper posted where I thought maybe the hood looked partially open on one side. I guess you're right that this might be a common thing.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=159
Appreciate 2
Max Well4690.50
bwcooper179.00
      11-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Now something is starting to click. I recall a photo bwcooper posted where I thought maybe the hood looked partially open on one side. I guess you're right that this might be a common thing.

Good recall, sor. If I have time in the morning I'll try to get a focused picture of the underside of the front part of the hood to share where it seems the downward force works best for us. And I especially checked this before embarking on our higher speed Interstate travels last week. And definitely something for our European colleagues to keep in mind on really high-speed travels (esp on the Autobahn at 155 mph)!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
The front hood closing is different, and those of us used to the 2nd Gen X3 line should probably take a bit of care in this. Your salesman was correct, and you do have to pull the latch twice and there is no front hood lever to move. It is then free to lift, and I think I mentioned that in passing in our delivery thread when I was showing photographs of the engine. But the closing part...

This is where we do need to be diligent I think. This is a much more forceful close than what we had previously. And until folks get used to this, it would be prudent to double check the edge seems laterally to make sure it is fully shut. I say that, as I had a family member ask me whether the hood was fully closed on the right side when we dropped some items by one day (after I had recharged the battery the night before), and indeed it was not. And that was after I knew it needed a hard close.
So to close the G01 hood, I had to put some more force to shut it close? The open hood warning on the dashboard was also on. But again I did not want to break anything. So I just left.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
So to close the G01 hood, I had to put some more force to shut it close? The open hood warning on the dashboard was also on. But again I did not want to break anything. So I just left.
To be sure we're on the same page - when I had a problem closing, if it didn't latch completely the first time, it didn't matter if I tried to push down on it again from the front of the G01. I had to walk back around and go through the two-pull on the hood latch in the Driver's seat area once again to be sure it was unlatched, then pull the hood back up, then force it down again from height. If you read the manual it actually states to make sure it is at least 20" high then forcefully closed, or something to that effect (taking liberty here as I don't have the manual in front of me). But point is well taken, and something we need to be aware of, so thanks for sharing your concern.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I noticed on mine that the right side (pass. side on LHD vehicle) didn't always close with a forceful push. I noticed the the right side of hood (when fully closed) was elevated just a tiny bit more than the left side. I lowered the rubber bump stop and that cured the problem Now it always closes properly, but as the OM states, it requires a forceful push from about 20". The hood is aluminum, so you can't be to feisty closing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

Indeed! I had the same problem and had to ask the CA how to close it!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
To be sure we're on the same page - when I had a problem closing, if it didn't latch completely the first time, it didn't matter if I tried to push down on it again from the front of the G01. I had to walk back around and go through the two-pull on the hood latch in the Driver's seat area once again to be sure it was unlatched, then pull the hood back up, then force it down again from height. If you read the manual it actually states to make sure it is at least 20" high then forcefully closed, or something to that effect (taking liberty here as I don't have the manual in front of me). But point is well taken, and something we need to be aware of, so thanks for sharing your concern.
hahaha I did notice when the latch comes 5-6 inches from the hood it seems to slow down because of the hinges. So what your saying is you lift it up, then smash (thrown it down with some force) it down to close it?
Appreciate 0