SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
M2 Euro Delivery

OK guys, my dealership just informed me that there is a production slot for me now (F I N A L L Y) after over a year on the list. I'm considering European Delivery. I have questions for any you guys on the forum from Germany, Switzerland and France: how bad are the alps in the winter? If I did European Delivery now I think I'd be taking delivery in about 2 months maybe? That puts us right smack in the middle of the holidays. My plan is to drive from Munich to Nice and drop it off there. I'm concerned about driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow going up and down mountains! I'm originally from Canada so I know how to drive in snow but still, the last thing I want is to have an accident with my new car. Then of course there is the salt / sand that goes on the roads that are snowy, and the possible damage from those elements to consider so somebody help!!!!!
      11-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

I'm not from Germany, but just got back from Germany 5 weeks ago at the end of my ED trip and I can tell you I personally would not even think of doing it in the winter. At one point, we went up some Swiss mountain road (on Oct 8) which took us above the snow line and I watched the outside temperature gauge in my new M2 plummet from about 55 (F) to 31 (F) with snow all around. Granted, I was on summer tires and of course you have to rent all-season or winter tires if you do ED from Oct 15 to Apr 15, but I still would not risk it in a nice new car. If I hadn't been able to make it happen in early October, I was going to make myself wait another 7 months.
      11-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
You don't have to pick it up right after the car is finished. If you're really interested in doing ED, find out how long you can leave the car waiting for you. My CA (who is generally reliable) told me I had to get it within 30 days. But I think there's room for more than 30 days as there are posts from people whose car finished production more than a month or two before the ED. I suspect it had more to do with them wanting to be paid sooner rather than later. Go directly to the BMW ED department and get a definitive answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
You don't have to pick it up right after the car is finished. If you're really interested in doing ED, find out how long you can leave the car waiting for you. My CA (who is generally reliable) told me I had to get it within 30 days. But I think there's room for more than 30 days as there are posts from people whose car finished production more than a month or two before the ED. I suspect it had more to do with them wanting to be paid sooner rather than later. Go directly to the BMW ED department and get a definitive answer.
That's true. I let mine sit there for about 45 days before I picked her up. Still only had 2KM on it
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Personally I would not do Euro in the winter unless you can rent some winter tires and wheels and have a lot of experience and comfort driving in winter conditions. The tires our cars come with are not compatible at all with driving in the cold and wet, snow conditions of the winters there. I drove my car last winter in AZ, totally dry conditions but it was 23 degrees F and wow it got my attention. The tires simply don't work in those conditions and the manufacturer does not recommend they get used in those conditions because it can damage the tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Thanks guys. I spoke to my friend who is born and raised outside of Munich and lived in Switzerland for a decade and he talked me out of it. I decided to not do it in the end. My car is slated to be produced in 4 weeks, I'll pick her up probably in Feb.
      11-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
Thanks guys. I spoke to my friend who is born and raised outside of Munich and lived in Switzerland for a decade and he talked me out of it. I decided to not do it in the end. My car is slated to be produced in 4 weeks, I'll pick her up probably in Feb.
then do pdc at least
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
then do pdc at least
Not worth it