F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Finance / PCP Gurus... HELP! I made a mistake..
Studio RSR

11-18-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
Mancster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Finance / PCP Gurus... HELP! I made a mistake..

Hello all. A few weeks ago I traded in my 66 plate 340 M sport plus for a 64 plate Mercedes C220d Class AMG Line. I did this purely for financial reasons. The Merc is around £80 a month cheaper on finance payments but also will save hundreds on fuel per month. The C Class has got premium plus pack so has got every conceivable extra (Park Assist, keyless entry and go, heated seats, memory seats, electric seats, powered boot, ambient lighting, Comand Nav and tonnes more) but it just isn't doing it for me and I'm seriously missing my BMW.

I've spoken to my local BMW dealer where I bought my 340 from and they reckon I've got about £4k negative equity on the Merc already. With this in mind, it's making it impossible for me to get back into a 3 series. I'm after something like a 330 or a 335d but seem to be snookered by this negative equity.

There are tonnes of used 335d's around for really reasonable money but the APR on used cars always seems astronomical compared to the current 1.9% on offer from BMW.

Any ideas chaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d F36 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancster View Post
Hello all. A few weeks ago I traded in my 66 plate 340 M sport plus for a 64 plate Mercedes C220d Class AMG Line. I did this purely for financial reasons. The Merc is around £80 a month cheaper on finance payments but also will save hundreds on fuel per month. The C Class has got premium plus pack so has got every conceivable extra (Park Assist, keyless entry and go, heated seats, memory seats, electric seats, powered boot, ambient lighting, Comand Nav and tonnes more) but it just isn't doing it for me and I'm seriously missing my BMW.

I've spoken to my local BMW dealer where I bought my 340 from and they reckon I've got about £4k negative equity on the Merc already. With this in mind, it's making it impossible for me to get back into a 3 series. I'm after something like a 330 or a 335d but seem to be snookered by this negative equity.

There are tonnes of used 335d's around for really reasonable money but the APR on used cars always seems astronomical compared to the current 1.9% on offer from BMW.

Any ideas chaps?
TBH mate unlesss you're going to take the hit you're stuck with the Mercs.

Most of the negative equity at the start is the interest as part of purchase.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

As you need to watch your finances I'd say keep the car until you can either VT it or trade/sell privately to break even on your outstanding finance (unlikely with the mileage you're obviously doing).

Or take the 4k hit and buy an old cheap car. To keep chopping and changing newish expensive cars seems crazy in your financial position.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Selling the Merc privately although hassle would reduce the £4K meg equity surely?

If you then like any of the cars in the current BMW range that are on zero deposit offers....you could Man maths yourself back into a new BMW pretending then £2-3k was the deposit for that?
      11-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I'd make sure you have facts, not speculation.

A BMW dealer tells you're in a neg equity position in a Merc, and you may well be, but I'd check the terms of the Mercedes agreement to see if you have options.

As has been said, chopping and changing relatively high price mainstream cars is only ever going to lose you money.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

4 k negative equity sounds a lot when buying a 64 plate car which should depreciating more slowly. However, the cost to change on any car through an official dealer in going to be high due to the difference between a trade in value and the retail price that they'd want to sell the same car for.

Changing cars early is horrendously expensive, though modern finance allows salesmen to hide it better. Sometimes for their benefit, but usually to support our own man maths.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The one thing that all of us on here can attest to is that changing cars regularly is an expensive business. PCP certainly contributes to people feeling they can get more than they should be able to afford.

In your case you've realised and pulled out of the 'race' but are now having buyer's remorse. I'd avoid jumping into yet another PCP agreement and given that you're likely to take quite a hit with the merc it is probably worth sticking with it.

I did something similar a few years ago when I sold my old E36 328i for virtually nothing and bought a 2.0TDi A3. I did really question for some time whether I'd made the right decision. However once I'd got through the initial self questioning I ended up having many years of utterly dependable and enjoyable motoring in the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:

Any ideas chaps?
I think the key here is in the statement "A few weeks ago..."

I believe most folks on here would feel huge regret (whatever the reasons) stepping out of a 3ltr high revving petrol into a 2ltr 4-pot diesel. I could be wrong but you almost need to give yourself time to forget (the admittedly excellent) 40i lump and appreciate the Merc for what it is. They're really nice cars and if your reason for changing was financial, I wouldn't want to swallow any neg. equity.

For what it's worth, it did take me some time to get over the 35i motor when I switched from M135i to 330d but the 3 series meets all my current needs and right now I wouldn't swap back.
Jim-Bow130.50
      11-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Forget the car and save the cash. Give yourself a couple of years to "recover" your position and by that time there will be a new 3 series around.

Build up a "car fund" and stay off the forums for a while!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'd be giving it time. Keep reminding yourself why you have changed.

Many drive 2.0d models for financial reasons. Let's be fair, they don't really want them.

Once you have had the cream, milk is never the same.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #11
hudson012003
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport Tanzanite blue

Quote:

Any ideas chaps?
As many of the guys have said already, get over it & don't get into more debt But also don't beat yourself up about it either. I had a 6cyl m-sport 325d a while ago (loved that car) but got seduced by BMW sales guy & traded it for a 425d m-sport = beautiful looking car but realised within a week we weren't meant to be together But I made my bed so stuck with it for 18mths until got the deal I wanted & replaced it. TBH it taught me a lesson. Realise not want you want to hear but t'is what t'is...😒
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:29 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson012003 View Post
Quote:

Any ideas chaps?
As many of the guys have said already, get over it & don't get into more debt But also don't beat yourself up about it either. I had a 6cyl m-sport 325d a while ago (loved that car) but got seduced by BMW sales guy & traded it for a 425d m-sport = beautiful looking car but realised within a week we weren't meant to be together But I made my bed so stuck with it for 18mths until got the deal I wanted & replaced it. TBH it taught me a lesson. Realise not want you want to hear but t'is what t'is...😒
Good advice.

Quick one though, assume you're in a different region/USA? 325d in the uk to my knowledge was always a higher tune 4 cylinder?
      11-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Forget the car and save the cash. Give yourself a couple of years to "recover" your position and by that time there will be a new 3 series around.

Build up a "car fund" and stay off the forums for a while!!
And that is probably the best advice!

The dealers margin on the Merc wouldn't be far off £3k, he may have used a bit to sweeten the deal but there is no way you can recover it. You could massage the numbers to get you back in a petrol 3 series - but you would be in a worse position than when you changed to save money...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:06 AM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Good advice.

Quick one though, assume you're in a different region/USA? 325d in the uk to my knowledge was always a higher tune 4 cylinder?
No mate , E9x 325d was 3l
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Good advice.

Ah my bad, sorry folks. In defence it's hard to keep up with the naming these days.
      11-19-2017, 04:11 AM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Good advice.

Ah my bad, sorry folks. In defence it's hard to keep up with the naming these days.
In fact I seem to remember someone changed the fuel rail and ECU for a 330d one and it became a full 330d!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:17 AM   #17
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

why on earth would you trade 340i for C220D

I would say just keep the car as £4000 is a lot of money IMO .

It gets easier once you make peace with it mate as I have done with my Merc
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      11-19-2017, 05:11 AM   #18
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

I quite like the merc good looking car if you ask me! I know how you feel going from an 3l Petrol to an oil burner my 430d replaced a Porsche Boxster and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss it 😔 get a tuning box on the merc might bridge some of the pain if it performs a bit better?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #19
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just a quick one that no one has mentioned, if you bought approved used from a Mercedes franchise, I think they offer some kind of no quibble return. I would check into that double quick.

If not or timing has passed, I'm afraid you need to grin and bear it.

Interesting you think the fuel will be hundreds cheaper a month by going with a 220cdi. You must be doing very high mileage to get such a differential. And if you are that normally means motorway mileage, where the 340i is particularly good. Perhaps just bad man maths?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #20
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
I think the key here is in the statement "A few weeks ago..."

I believe most folks on here would feel huge regret (whatever the reasons) stepping out of a 3ltr high revving petrol into a 2ltr 4-pot diesel. I could be wrong but you almost need to give yourself time to forget (the admittedly excellent) 40i lump and appreciate the Merc for what it is. They're really nice cars and if your reason for changing was financial, I wouldn't want to swallow any neg. equity.

For what it's worth, it did take me some time to get over the 35i motor when I switched from M135i to 330d but the 3 series meets all my current needs and right now I wouldn't swap back.
ditto . i swapped from m135i to 430d. no regrets
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #21
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Just a quick one that no one has mentioned, if you bought approved used from a Mercedes franchise, I think they offer some kind of no quibble return. I would check into that double quick.

If not or timing has passed, I'm afraid you need to grin and bear it.

Interesting you think the fuel will be hundreds cheaper a month by going with a 220cdi. You must be doing very high mileage to get such a differential. And if you are that normally means motorway mileage, where the 340i is particularly good. Perhaps just bad man maths?
See reply #4, second para
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #22
Mancster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Ok evening all. First of all, thank you all so much for your inputs and apologies it's taken me so long to reply! Despite all of you advising me to stick in the Mercedes... it still hasn't stopped me speaking to my dealers! Ok opinion on this offer please....

I've been negotiating all day long on a 335d M Sport Shadow Edition X Drive. The car is in Mineral Grey with coral red leather. I love this combo, looks gorgeous. In terms of extras, it's got heated seats, that's it.

The deal is..... £1000 deposit and £465 a month. 48 Months at 8,000 miles per annum. Thoughts please? That's obviously them taking my Mercedes in part ex and clearing off that finance deal straight away. That seems like a lot of car for the money!

Also, realistically, is the 335d X drive going to be similar on fuel than my 340 was? I only ever do town driving, very very seldom do I drive on the motorway. Bare in mind my 340 had MPPSK so a lot of time I used to drive it with a heavy right foot!

One final thing is whilst the 335d will look absolutely gorgeous in that colour and being a shadow edition, im concerned about it having no pro nav and no folding mirrors. I was planning to install one of those 10.25" Avin android screens but dont think they work beyond 2016 models which has thrown me a little bit.
Appreciate 0