E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 auto redlining before redline indicator

11-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
E90 auto redlining before redline indicator

I noticed this happen twice - I am cruising on hwy in DS mode which is sports automatic mode and put the pedal to the floor to pass someone, it jumps from 3k rpms to 5k as it probably downshifts to 3rd gear and races up the tach, I expect it to advance near redline before shifting just before it, however it readlines at about 6k rpms, and I feel the car rear back (the redline is about 6700 rpms). So two questions, why would the redline rpm be lower than the drawn rpm - my car has been running for 1hr+ at the time so the engine is warmed up, is it due to colder outside temps (it was 37F at the time but doesnt seem too cold). Also, if the car moves the redline dynamically and it is controlled by software, why wouldnt the transmission know about that and shift earlier (before the 6k redline I was experiencing here). Alternatively, do you think there is an issue with my engine or my transmission. Thanks

Car is 2006 bmw 330i with auto transmission
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I noticed this happen twice - I am cruising on hwy in DS mode which is sports automatic mode and put the pedal to the floor to pass someone, it jumps from 3k rpms to 5k as it probably downshifts to 3rd gear and races up the tach, I expect it to advance near redline before shifting just before it, however it readlines at about 6k rpms, and I feel the car rear back (the redline is about 6700 rpms). So two questions, why would the redline rpm be lower than the drawn rpm - my car has been running for 1hr+ at the time so the engine is warmed up, is it due to colder outside temps (it was 37F at the time but doesnt seem too cold). Also, if the car moves the redline dynamically and it is controlled by software, why wouldnt the transmission know about that and shift earlier (before the 6k redline I was experiencing here). Alternatively, do you think there is an issue with my engine or my transmission. Thanks

Log your car. This is all monitored electronically, and what you are seeing on your gauge may not actually be the RPM your engine is operating at. Start there.

There are two different things you need to be aware of. One is that on auto & manual cars there is a rev limiter, but in an automatic, you also have an automatic shift point at specific rpm's. You're experiencing the latter.

Do you have a GM or ZF transmission, the code in them is totally different. On my 2007 GM there have been multiple software updates.
      11-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Quote:

there are endless reasons as to why this particular car exhibited this particular behavior at this particular time. for example; unique long term computer adaptations, speed at WOT, grade, temperature humidity, barometric pressure, etc. You may try a thousand times, and never be able to duplicate the exact behavior. Good observation though.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Quote:

Log your car. This is all monitored electronically, and what you are seeing on your gauge may not actually be the RPM your engine is operating at. Start there.

There are two different things you need to be aware of. One is that on auto & manual cars there is a rev limiter, but in an automatic, you also have an automatic shift point at specific rpm's. You're experiencing the latter.

Do you have a GM or ZF transmission, the code in them is totally different. On my 2007 GM there have been multiple software updates.
Sorry what do you mean by log my car? I am guessing this involves running a software while connected to obd port? I am not certain but believe my transmission is ZF. Are you also suggesting that a software update might be possible which might resolve a glitch that I am experiencing?
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Yes, you may want to call Bimmergeeks and see what they can do about flashing an update for your transmission. They flashed my GM to the most recent software and it was a night & day difference from the 2007 code.
      11-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, you may want to call Bimmergeeks and see what they can do about flashing an update for your transmission. They flashed my GM to the most recent software and it was a night & day difference from the 2007 code.
That sounds like a good option, was it pricey? Pm me?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like a good option, was it pricey? Pm me?
No, it was cheap enough to make it a no brainer.
      11-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

Should I have my transmission updated? I have a 2007 328i with the GM trans. It shifts excellent. What updates was there?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Do you recall which version was it? I am about to flash mine
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #10
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Should I have my transmission updated? I have a 2007 328i with the GM trans. It shifts excellent. What updates was there?
Depends on what version you have right now, if it has never been updated, then there's an update. The problem is WHICH version should you update it to, as BMW designed some software for certain situation (E.g. high KM transmission) or (E.g. The ZF trans, some people downgrade their 330i to 325i software for smoother shifting).

Problem is we don't know which software is the best for:
Performance
Smooth shifting

The one that i have right now is garbage, sometimes the 3rd to 2nd gear have rough downshift which is a common problem
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

The ZF's are totally different from the GM's. He has a GM. The new GM firmware flash is crisp, faster shifting, and smoother in every way form the original code that was on my car (02/07).
      11-30-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Is this something the dealer can do no charge?
Ok maybe some wishful thinking...

Can the foxwell nt510 program it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Is this something the dealer can do no charge?
Ok maybe some wishful thinking...

Can the foxwell nt510 program it?
I just told you how you could get this done.

If you want to walk away from the easy path, feel free, but I'm guessing your dealer's going to look at you like a deer in the headlights if you ask for the transmission to be re-flashed with the most recent firmware. Especially if you've done the 3im mod and put a 330 tune on the car and want the 330 GM transmission code.
      11-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Would this be an option for a 01/07 build 335i? I'm not sure which transmission I have
Appreciate 0