BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Advice - point of ordering M40i

Hi all

First post on this forum. Currently have 330d and looking for a change.

Wife has 2017 X3 20d M-Sport, which we really like.

As M40i not out in UK, I will need to order with no test drive. But all the reviews on line are very good. Not much info on real life fuel economy!

Trying not to go over the top with extras. Spec I’m looking at is:

Phytonic blue
Harmon Kardon
Sun protection glass
Lumbar support
Variable damper control (really helps on wife’s car!)
Folding mirrors

Any advice / feedback welcome.

I hope the car is as good as the reviews!

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Hi all

First post on this forum. Currently have 330d and looking for a change.

Wife has 2017 X3 20d M-Sport, which we really like.

As M40i not out in UK, I will need to order with no test drive. But all the reviews on line are very good. Not much info on real life fuel economy!

Trying not to go over the top with extras. Spec I’m looking at is:

Phytonic blue
Harmon Kardon
Sun protection glass
Lumbar support
Variable damper control (really helps on wife’s car!)
Folding mirrors

Any advice / feedback welcome.

I hope the car is as good as the reviews!

Many thanks
The biggest thing I would miss on that build is the Heated Seats. Not that it is cold here as much as I use it to help relax my back on long drives (like a heating pad). With that and good lumbar support I am usually good to go. I'd also miss the Navigation some, but it can get expensive depending on how they package it there. Mostly just use it when we are going into the city or for long drives to give me an ETA. And I also love the Automatic Headlights as I live in a rural area and the roads get dark. The Full Adaptive LED lights are amazing.
Regardless, I think you'll love the ride.

As for mileage, Maxwell started another thread on actual user mileage. You might check it. He got superb mileage on a recent road trip he took. My first two tanks of gas have averaged 24 mpg which isn't bad considering I had a fair amount of idle time sitting in the car with the user manual!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4719.00
      11-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Greetings, Rbrown - we have no experience with the diesel variants, and we do live in the USA so our views of 'good mpg' will differ from areas where petrol is higher priced. With that said, I was very surprised to obtain consistent hwy numbers at 79 mph of 29 mpg US, 34.8 mpg (Imp), 12.3 km/l, 8.1 l/100km in our X3 M40i on two different occasions (each analyzed run abt 120 miles between same geographic points, confirming the Car & Driver data) in a vehicle which can rightfully claim performance capability. Having owned 2011 X3 35i, 2012 X3 35i, and 2015 LCI X3 35i, we can honestly say this is a totally different experience across the board. Tech, performance, fit and finish, it has been elevated.

Best wishes in your decision.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      11-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Guys, many thanks for the helpful feedback.

The UK spec includes the improved navigation and front heated seats - which is helpful with the Scottish weather. Not planning to get rear heated seats - the kids need to toughen up anyway!

Fuel economy in my 330d xdrive is about 37mpg - so hopefully the M40i wont be too far off with that with sensible driving!

Just getting quotes in and plan to order next week. For some strange reason, it seems to be cheaper for me to buy the car in England.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:15 AM   #5
Langs_in_london
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (On order)

Hey fella,
Ordered mine a couple of weeks back. Agreed with your spec and added the technology pack as you get the wifi prep, wireless charging and the heads up display which I have seen on my mates M2 and is really really good.
Fuel consumption - It is what it is right? Never going to be be brilliant, but I reckon we'll keep it over the 30mpg mark out of town...
Let us know when you order and get a build date...

LL
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      11-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

Hi,

I’ve driven 330xd for years (now in a 220xd).
I’ve test-drived a M40i a few weeks ago and...It put such a smile on my face !

Living in Belgium, I was a bit concerned about mileage. During my hour test of braking and accelarating I got a little less than 12 litres/100 km. Driving calmy in the beginning, it showed a little more than 10 L/100.

The next day, my order was placed !
:-)
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00