E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Went to install Logic HVI and was laughed at...

05-23-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 CP 6MT, '13 X1 35i

Just need some minor clarification on this issue..

Today I went down to my buddy's studio, and one of his friends was there that is pretty knowledgeable about modifying cars. I happened to have my brand new Logic HVI intake in my backseat, as well as the tools to install it. So, I figured I'd ask this guy for some help. Bad idea. I've never been called 'idiot' more times in a 10-minute period in my life. The guy was saying, firstly, that I'm an idiot for trying to do anything to my engine because BMW has the finest engineering and messing with it is just stupid. But secondly he said that the Logic intake has the K&N filter sitting in a "dead-zone" where no air would be coming into it because the stock E92 snorkel goes towards the back of the trunk. Needless to say he continued to berate me for choosing to pay for this intake, saying I was ripped off.

Is there any merit to his comment about the intake being designed to sit in a "dead-zone" thus actually making it a worse choice than the stock airbox?

One thing I've noticed is that people are buying E92 328i snorkels to get more out of their Logic intakes, but shouldn't it be designed from the company so I am not required to buy a 328i snorkel to have air feeding directly into the intake? I mean, why was this intake designed so that the stock snorkel is not putting air anywhere near the intake? Does that even make a difference?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some clarification on this all, guy seems to think I wasted my money, but other people on here seem to be very happy with their Logic intakes, any thoughts?

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.

Last edited by King335i; 05-25-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Sneeze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thats why I made a costum heat shield using the stock snorkel and Air Scoops...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

I've been wondering the same thing about this intake..it looks like a bad design. Not necessarily the placement of the filter, but the fact that the rear turbo is getting MUCH more airflow than the front is with that 90 degree bend and smaller diameter piping for the front turbo..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr33fivei View Post
Thats why I made a costum heat shield using the stock snorkel and Air Scoops...
Tell me more..

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing about this intake..it looks like a bad design. Not necessarily the placement of the filter, but the fact that the rear turbo is getting MUCH more airflow than the front is with that 90 degree bend and smaller diameter piping for the front turbo..
I know, right? It'd be great to have someone from Logic chime in on this..

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Sneeze
Captain
Rep

Here's my setup...
There is a DIY for Air scoops.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #7
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good stuff, I'll look for that DIY. What about those scoops? those look larger than normal. Also, are you concerned about debris flying into your intake, have you considered a mesh screen on the snorkel?

Also, one of my inquiries was why they chose to design it like they did, seems to make no sense. We shouldn't have to modify our engine bay to work with their intake, it should be the other way around.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King335i View Post
I know, right? It'd be great to have someone from Logic chime in on this..
Im sure logic will say there's nothing wrong with the design, but I would bet most of the more experienced people on here will say its flawed..now logic is encouraging everyone to cut their snorkel, and remove the brake duct vent to get some air in there. It should have been designed correctly from the start.. I would definitely like to hear some other opinions though..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #9
Sneeze
Captain
Rep

Can't wait to see RR Intake design. They said it's coming out soooon 2020.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

I would definitely love to hear some other opinions too, I can't believe I didn't notice that design flaw before I spent over $300 on the pipe...

Well, time to head to the FS threads..

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King335i View Post
I would definitely love to hear some other opinions too, I can't believe I didn't notice that design flaw before I spent over $300 on the pipe...

Well, time to head to the FS threads..
lol should've headed there b4 you made a thread about it...
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
cwn23
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

I would imagine from looking at the RR intake, that its very similar to the Logic intake...If you want something that takes advantage of the ambient temps and equalized air distribution to the front and back turbos, the best i would say is the UR CAI...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

These threads make me laugh. What a surprise that this turned into an advertisement for a UR intake?

To the original poster, basically all intakes create about the same power and torque on the dyno. If you want, you can do a search. There are many on here with agenda's that will tell you one intake is better than the other. All these arguments about ambient temps have been proven false over and over. Enjoy what you have and move on.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #14
cwn23
Major
Rep

This thread makes me laugh another person thinking that they know so much about intake temps affecting performance...Everyone has their own opinions and are subjected to post telling them otherwise.The OP purely stated that the intake had flaws, and so did his installer....Obviously there are varying opinions....He wanted something that has equal distribution and cold ambient temps....So Former Boosted IS.....tell me which intake does this in your well experienced knowledge???????....Just answering his needs....so MR intake pro....which would you recommend for his needs????
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwn23 View Post
This thread makes me laugh another person thinking that they know so much about intake temps affecting performance...Everyone has their own opinions and are subjected to post telling them otherwise.The OP purely stated that the intake had flaws, and so did his installer....Obviously there are varying opinions....He wanted something that has equal distribution and cold ambient temps....So Former Boosted IS.....tell me which intake does this in your well experienced knowledge???????....Just answering his needs....so MR intake pro....which would you recommend for his needs????
Hmm, maybe since I have been in F/I for 7 years, varying setups probably beyond what you can imagine, and seen data on many intakes for starters? You guys argue theory all day long. Facts are facts. Unless this guy is running 15+ psi, it is irrelevant which intake he runs. I have said it before and I will say it again, we can post 100 pictures of the most impressive setups in the world and all will have the intake sitting almost on top of the turbo.

For the record, I don't know what intake fits his needs. I can tell you the difference is irrelevant. All the posts on this forum comparing intakes are done in a way that contaminates the results. They put intakes on the car and then take it off and install another, etc. Tell me Mr. Pro how this adaptive DME will alter fuel based on the wideband results in a 10 second pull?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
cwn23
Major
Rep

I am by no means a intake guru, but based on what the OP wants, the only one that fits his criteria and needs is the UR....I don't even have a intake on my car, but giving him what I have seen, I felt that intake systems best suits his wants and needs....I really couldn't care about what performs better or what not, the purpose was to guide him to what he wanted....Thats what forums are for, you are basically telling him something he doesn't want to know, he has his own opinion on the LOgic intake already, so telling him that intakes don't do much is not helping....As far as not knowing what intake fits his needs, I think you do know and its the UR CAI....its not that hard to see out of all the intakes out there now, which best fits his needs....Why do you hate the UR intake anyway???
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am by no means a intake guru, but based on what the OP wants, the only one that fits his criteria and needs is the UR....I don't even have a intake on my car, but giving him what I have seen, I felt that intake systems best suits his wants and needs....I really couldn't care about what performs better or what not, the purpose was to guide him to what he wanted....Thats what forums are for, you are basically telling him something he doesn't want to know, he has his own opinion on the LOgic intake already, so telling him that intakes don't do much is not helping....As far as not knowing what intake fits his needs, I think you do know and its the UR CAI....its not that hard to see out of all the intakes out there now, which best fits his needs....Why do you hate the UR intake anyway???
With all due respect, re-read his initial post. Here is a direct quote

Quote:
Is there any merit to his comment about the intake being designed to sit in a "dead-zone" thus actually making it a worse choice than the stock airbox?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Just get a 328 snorkel and call it a day...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
SHOTGUN
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: zhp-apr stage 2 passat & gti

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr33fivei View Post
Here's my setup...
There is a DIY for Air scoops.
i love this set up, i think the heat sheild and snorkel is the key.
i run a short ram intake in my vw,(90% of the moded vw's as well) and it runs great,
droped my 1/4 mile by .2
the last time i was at the track i was shocked to see how many cars were running intakes in the engine bay,gto, mustangs, sti's,evos,vw, all had the
same set up.
i would install the intake if you like the sound of the turbos and feel a better
throttle response then your good to go.
my zhp had an ecis(short ram with heat shield) and it worked great, turner uses the conforti intake same as the ecis but different filter.now that
i think about it just about all the intakes for the e46 were short ram.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
MFL101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RRS SC

I have the Logic HVI. I just bought the 328 snorkel for like $40 and put that in. Directs air to that corner and that's more than enough. You aren't building some race car here...it gets enough air...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I would imagine from looking at the RR intake, that its very similar to the Logic intake...If you want something that takes advantage of the ambient temps and equalized air distribution to the front and back turbos, the best i would say is the UR CAI...
Where is there pics of the RR intake?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
cwn23
Major
Rep

just to clarify things....some may think the ambient temps to the intake doesn't matter as per performance whether hot or cold....some people think otherwise...If you feel cold air is important for performance, then UR CAI is your choice, but if you feel it doesn't temperature matters, then I would say Logic or BMS filter is fine....You decide on what you think is good for performance...It will be debated left and right, ultimately I don't know who to believe in...I believe intake injesting cold air as suppose to hot air have bigger gains and advantages....I know others will think different, but thats my opinion and you don't need INTAKE gurus to tell you otherwise, you decide for yourself..
Appreciate 0