E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CD track information?

03-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

CD track information?

Hey all... I just got my car on Sat and I have a quick question regarding the track information displaying on the iDrive.

When I originally inserted a CD to test it out, it was able to display the song title instead of "track-1" on the screen... but I noticed after stopping the car and turning it back on later, it stopped displaying the title... and replaced it with the track number. Is there a place where this is set? I actually tried to do a search on the forums, and there's supposed to be some place where I have to check a "show details" box but I can't find it. But what was also weird, was that when I went to test it just now, it started displaying the song name again, and I don't recall touching anything....

Also is there any way to change the way the radio station text scrolls? Could this be controlled anywhere? I don't like how it only shows one word... I'd rather have it try to show the whole name instead of word by word.

Any help would be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I do have that problem with the AUDIO CD's that I burn occasionally. I have looked into the settings on iDrive and the forum and there isn't a way to set anything. The only thing you can do is turn on song information when you are playing an MP3 CD. The only problem I seem to be having with the MP3 CD's is that the songs sometimes stop randomly and skip to the next track.

I don't think there is any way to change the way the radio station scrolls... It would have been nice to have these options but I think we are asking for too much!

Good luck
      03-07-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o
Hey all... I just got my car on Sat and I have a quick question regarding the track information displaying on the iDrive.

When I originally inserted a CD to test it out, it was able to display the song title instead of "track-1" on the screen... but I noticed after stopping the car and turning it back on later, it stopped displaying the title... and replaced it with the track number. Is there a place where this is set? I actually tried to do a search on the forums, and there's supposed to be some place where I have to check a "show details" box but I can't find it. But what was also weird, was that when I went to test it just now, it started displaying the song name again, and I don't recall touching anything....

Also is there any way to change the way the radio station text scrolls? Could this be controlled anywhere? I don't like how it only shows one word... I'd rather have it try to show the whole name instead of word by word.

Any help would be great!

Try burning your CD using I-tunes. It displays artist+track name in the i-drive screen. Any other way i do it, i only see track 1, track 2. etc.
Also the show details box is the last box when you click the i-drive knob down when you're sorting through the different tracks. Go all the way down the menu.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
shanmand
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco Blue

I think he's talking about cd-text. It is a known software bug in that sometimes it ignores to read the cd-text portion of the disc. Try ejecting the cd and insert it again while you're on the entertainment screen, that should fix the problem.
Monaco Blue 325i; Beige Interior; Poplar Wood; Professional Navigation; Bluetooth; Lights Package; Electric Sport Seats; Sport Steering; Logic 7; Sunroof; PDC front & rear; Rain Sensor; Bi-Xenon; CD-Changer
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986
Try burning your CD using I-tunes. It displays artist+track name in the i-drive screen. Any other way i do it, i only see track 1, track 2. etc.
Also the show details box is the last box when you click the i-drive knob down when you're sorting through the different tracks. Go all the way down the menu.
Are you sure about this?
One of the knocks on iTunes (new version after new version) has always been that there is no CD-Text capability. I always use either Nero or Roxio to burn CDs, even though it would be easier to just use iTunes. Burning with one of these programs does allow CD-Text so that the name of the song (but not artist) shows in the screen.
If there is some sort of compatability feature between the e90 and iTunes, I don't think it has anything to do with CD text, but I'd sure like to know about it.
You are talking about normal CD burning, right, and not mp3 discs?
Please let us know more about your experience. You are seeing both the artist+track name in the i-drive screen?
Thanks
Mike
      03-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986
Is this for audio cds? or mp3 cds? Because I'm trying to do this with an audio cd, and I can't find this last option in the menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmand
I think he's talking about cd-text. It is a known software bug in that sometimes it ignores to read the cd-text portion of the disc. Try ejecting the cd and insert it again while you're on the entertainment screen, that should fix the problem.
I think this sounds more like what happened, since it randomly shows up and goes away again.... is there a fix for this? or not yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
Are you sure about this?
One of the knocks on iTunes (new version after new version) has always been that there is no CD-Text capability. I always use either Nero or Roxio to burn CDs, even though it would be easier to just use iTunes. Burning with one of these programs does allow CD-Text so that the name of the song (but not artist) shows in the screen.
If there is some sort of compatability feature between the e90 and iTunes, I don't think it has anything to do with CD text, but I'd sure like to know about it.
You are talking about normal CD burning, right, and not mp3 discs?
Please let us know more about your experience. You are seeing both the artist+track name in the i-drive screen?
Thanks
Mike

Oh i'm sorry I was referring to Mp3 cd's. Since I havent used regular cd's for a while now, I automatically assumed he meant mp3 cd. My mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
Palazzom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i (E90)

Hey everyone.

Using Itunes .......... right click on your music files ready to burn - or select them all - change ID3 Tag to v .1.1. Then burn your cd. You will see all the text info (artist and song) on your display.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzom
Hey everyone.

Using Itunes .......... right click on your music files ready to burn - or select them all - change ID3 Tag to v .1.1. Then burn your cd. You will see all the text info (artist and song) on your display.
Again, you're talking about burning MP3 discs, right?
      03-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I believe you are talking about burning MP3 CDs.

I have the non-IDrive Logic 7. Since my car was upgraded to CIP 20.1 it reads MP3 Cd file info burned with v2.3 ID3 Tags with no problem. The conversion to v 1.1 is no longer necessary.

I still have not been able to get CD Text Info on standard CDs to display.
      03-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Palazzom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i (E90)

Yes - I was talking about burning Mp3 cd's .... but thanks for the info on the CIP upgrade. I will have to do that! I am also having skipping problems on my player in tracks 120-150 on my mp3 cd.... not sure if a CIP upgrade may help that. Oh well....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
.... I am also having skipping problems on my player in tracks 120-150 on my mp3 cd.... not sure if a CIP upgrade may help that. Oh well....
No, the skipping is almost certainly a hardware thing. Not a fault, just a fact of life. Try burning your CD again. Try different brands of media and/or better quality media, also burn at a much lower speed than your CD writer and media say they will do. Also make sure that you are using silver media. It may even be worth going to "Audio grade" media.

It's amazing that CDs work at all, given what the player has to do in order to keep the head over the track which it wants to play!.
Appreciate 0