12-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
S65 135i based 1M clone on BAT

Already way more expensive than I would have expected.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-1-series-3/
      12-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Probably worth it, even if it goes up to 70k.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181676
Appreciate 1
eeghie299.50
      12-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Impressive but why automatic ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

awesome! and the perfect colour
      12-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

WHHHHY not a 6 speed???? sheesh!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Impressive but why automatic ?
I'm sure it is DCT from an E92.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

What??? No SatNav???
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Awesome build. M
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
What??? No SatNav???
A lot of us don't want SatNav...
      12-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #11
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
This.

In fact, I found my “unicorn” which was a true stripper. No nav, manual seats and mirrors etc....

But maybe he was being sarcastic?
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
What??? No SatNav???
Sat Nav is one of the first thing that dates a car. 1M in stripper form is a rather timeless combo and the market reflects it. Stripper 1M is the most desired.
Appreciate 2
SLC80182.50
      12-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I'm really interested to see what the final selling price is. Its almost impossible to get your money out of any build, but this is such a rare/clean example with so many premium parts (BMWP seats + Akrapovic etc) Anyone know or guess how much owner put into it?

Also curious if anyone knows. Would you have pay cash for this car. I'm assuming no normal bank is going to lend 60K+ for a 2009 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterl41 View Post
I'm really interested to see what the final selling price is. Its almost impossible to get your money out of any build, but this is such a rare/clean example with so many premium parts (BMWP seats + Akrapovic etc) Anyone know or guess how much owner put into it?

Also curious if anyone knows. Would you have pay cash for this car. I'm assuming no normal bank is going to lend 60K+ for a 2009 135i.
The car won't sell in this auction. The auction isn't being promoted.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Did not meet reserve at $70k. I'm not sure the car is worth over $70k; I'm sure some of you will disagree.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #16
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Did not meet reserve at $70k. I'm not sure the car is worth over $70k; I'm sure some of you will disagree.
The car is worth well over $90k. The auction closing is not a reflection of the value of this car.

the auction was not promoted very well. Even the description of the car didnt touch on the finer points of the vehicle. There was zero mention of WHY the car exists. Zero mention of the cars performance / balance beyond dinans stroker motor numbers. Its easy to describe the cars hardware and assume the vehicle is the sum of said parts but in truth, it is so much more.

Its the theme behind it that makes it meaningful. Its not a car in which its merit is based off its hardware alone as the auction sells it as. Its a car that makes a statement about the M3 getting fatter, bmw going all FI, the disappointment for many when the 1m came out with an n54. The car represents the path that BMW DIDN'T take when the brand stood at that crossroad when designing the f80.

And again, the car is absolutely more than the sum of its parts. It doesnt drive like a 1m and it doesnt drive like an e92. The S65, while glorious in an e9x, is even better in a 400lb lighter car. And the S65 further gets better when it becomes a 4.6L. The s65, with its linear throttle is an even better choice for an e82 and its smaller wheel base. It makes for a much more predictable package than the n54 allows.

These are the reasons these cars are meaningful. Its not simply because we put v8s and nice parts on them. And my car has only stayed in the limelight so long is because many people resonate with the theme of it.

My prediction is this car will sell privately far above the auction price. Its an absolutely amazing car and there is not anything else quite like it on earth.
Appreciate 1
gotcha43147.50
      12-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
The car is worth well over $90k. The auction closing is not a reflection of the value of this car.

the auction was not promoted very well. Even the description of the car didnt touch on the finer points of the vehicle. There was zero mention of WHY the car exists. Zero mention of the cars performance / balance beyond dinans stroker motor numbers. Its easy to describe the cars hardware and assume the vehicle is the sum of said parts but in truth, it is so much more.

Its the theme behind it that makes it meaningful. Its not a car in which its merit is based off its hardware alone as the auction sells it as. Its a car that makes a statement about the M3 getting fatter, bmw going all FI, the disappointment for many when the 1m came out with an n54. The car represents the path that BMW DIDN'T take when the brand stood at that crossroad when designing the f80.

And again, the car is absolutely more than the sum of its parts. It doesnt drive like a 1m and it doesnt drive like an e92. The S65, while glorious in an e9x, is even better in a 400lb lighter car. And the S65 further gets better when it becomes a 4.6L. The s65, with its linear throttle is an even better choice for an e82 and its smaller wheel base. It makes for a much more predictable package than the n54 allows.

These are the reasons these cars are meaningful. Its not simply because we put v8s and nice parts on them. And my car has only stayed in the limelight so long is because many people resonate with the theme of it.

My prediction is this car will sell privately far above the auction price. Its an absolutely amazing car and there is not anything else quite like it on earth.
This car is what it is, and your car is what it is. I have no quarrel with your car or this car.

What your car and what this car is NOT, is a 1M. Your car, from what I have seen, is probably better than a 1M in many respects. So I do not mean any disrespect in your direction. It is, however, not a 1M. It is a custom build taken from a 135i, that has become what it has become. Again, it is not a 1M. It is a super car of one sort or another.

I think the problem here is trying to sell this car in a forum of 1M owners.

You can take almost any car and you can modify it to be whatever it is that you want it to be. It can be something really special, a "1-off" never seen before. Perfect in every respect.

But why try to label this as a 1M-Wannabee?

I just don't see the point.
      12-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #18
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:

This car is what it is, and your car is what it is. I have no quarrel with your car or this car.

What your car and what this car is NOT, is a 1M. Your car, from what I have seen, is probably better than a 1M in many respects. So I do not mean any disrespect in your direction. It is, however, not a 1M. It is a custom build taken from a 135i, that has become what it has become. Again, it is not a 1M. It is a super car of one sort or another.

You can take almost any car and you can modify it to be whatever it is that you want it to be. It can be something really special, a "1-off" never seen before. Perfect in every respect.

I totally agree and no offense taken.

I see my car more as just a bmw. How do u make a more back to basics M car? based on the number of parts one could argue it's an m3 with a body swap more than a 1M with a v8. And I didn't make my car because I dislike the 1M or 135i's. I adore both and have a second e82 project and will likely eventually pick up a 1M and e92 in the next few years.

You are right that the audience on BAT is the wrong audience to sell the car. It needs to go to a big collector and through a private sale.

You need a collector who appreciates classic M values AND has deep pockets. You need both those things. Most people tend to have one or the other. Most people appreciate what the car is and could only dream of building. Those people will comment and share a post. People who only have deep pockets or buy to invest only will not understand the car and likely pick up a GT3.

I will say selfishly my car was always more about the build and the pursuit of an idea than the outcome. I have gotten a few high dollar offers and turned them down as my car is not for sale but even if I did sell, it would just be someone buying my vision and skipping the journey - hardly a good deal in my eyes... for them.
Appreciate 4
Yeineken1297.50
champignon1562.00
      12-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #19
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:

Thanks, I appreciate your subjective assessment. In my opinion, the car is not worth $90k, even if the build is pitch perfect. To each their own.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 01:22 AM   #20
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

ha, if i could afford this car and could afford to maintain this car i would gladly sell my 1m for this beast, heck i would love to swap a s65 into my car. and you do realize converting a 135 into a 1m is not particularly costly or difficult. once the conversion is done the only thing different will be your vin numbers.

and this car is well deserved of the "m" moniker, its more "m" than our cars, it basically has all the m parts our cars have and it actually has an m engine..

that being said, i've heard the background story to this car and the costs to build this build, this car definitely needs someone with deep pockets and someone who appreciates this build, cause if i had that money to spend i would definitely get something cooler like a gt4/gt3.

and yeah, convert it to a manual, dct instantly dates the car, or im sure the person who purchases the car will have the means to if he/she wants to
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #21
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
I have gotten a few high dollar offers and turned them down as my car is not for sale but even if I did sell, it would just be someone buying my vision and skipping the journey - hardly a good deal in my eyes... for them.
I agree with Marco that the journey on these kind of builds is a huge part of it. They are labors of love. That's what gives the car its soul (which is why Marco's has been so great to watch and admire over the years) Because it took vision and it engineering to solve problems and create solutions. For all inclusive purposes he and Performance Technic "designed" a new BMW. And with each new evolution refined that car based on that vision. The enjoyment in that process is a huge part of the personal value.

Without that, all you have is a stack of receipts, and a car that isn't worth the sum of its parts.

The BAT one is no doubt a beautiful build that spared no expense, but I don't know if it's ever going to be worth what the owner put into it. But that doesn't mean it won't ever sell. You're just looking at a very small niche market of people.
Appreciate 2
Yeineken1297.50
      12-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by digwm1 View Post
ha, if i could afford this car and could afford to maintain this car i would gladly sell my 1m for this beast, heck i would love to swap a s65 into my car. and you do realize converting a 135 into a 1m is not particularly costly or difficult. once the conversion is done the only thing different will be your vin numbers.

and this car is well deserved of the "m" moniker, its more "m" than our cars, it basically has all the m parts our cars have and it actually has an m engine..

that being said, i've heard the background story to this car and the costs to build this build, this car definitely needs someone with deep pockets and someone who appreciates this build, cause if i had that money to spend i would definitely get something cooler like a gt4/gt3.

and yeah, convert it to a manual, dct instantly dates the car, or im sure the person who purchases the car will have the means to if he/she wants to
the DCT , while it may manage the power well.. will be a high dollar failure item in the future.

Agree the car is not an actual 1M which is great. A project like this is best when begun from a lesser machine rather than bastardizing one of a few.

I think one of the reasons the auction didn't do well is that it indicated that the vehicle still has a lien of $9K. It seems very odd that someone had all the money to do this build.. and never paid the original note off... either at some time during the build.

The fact that they still have not made an effort to pay the lien so that the title is free and clear prior to the sale is a red flag that there are likely some other issues... (title may be owned by one or more people perhaps, etc)
Appreciate 3
8081M40.50
tock172581.50
Yeineken1297.50