E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > weird clunking noise

12-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Unhappy weird clunking noise

2011 323i

i did some wot pulls today and shortly after i started getting this clunking noise - it seemed to be coming from the back and once the noise came and i tried to do more pulls it seemed like i was hitting rev limiter at 4k (i have a straight pipe exhaust)

the noise gets worse as u go up the rpms im not sure what it could be. Feels like a knocking but not the engine, maybe the differential, suspension component or tranny? i got no lights though.

i pulled off to the side and turned the car off for 30 sec then back on and the noise went away and it was driving fine. any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Any videos of the noise? it can be anything from suspension clunking, exhaust pipes shaking or hanging, etc. Maybe something else since you said it went away after turning the car off.
      12-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Didn't get a video of it at the time, noise would get worse as rpms got higher, sounded like a knocking/ticking sound.

I'm suspecting diff because idk it feels like the car is slipping sometimes in the back (but not the wheels/traction), can the rear diff slip is a tooth or spider gear is broken or fucked?

It drives fine other than that and the noise hasn't come back even after more WOT pulls, but I'm gonna get a rear diff oil change next month and hope to metal shavings come out.
Appreciate 0