Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Warm Winter Temps?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

Warm Winter Temps?

I just had a set of 16” Winter Sport 4D Tires put on the other day. I’m sitting between 150-200 miles on them so far. It climbed to about 42-44F today and could reach 50 later this week. Fantastic. Today I was making some slow sharp left hand turns (5-10mph) and seemed to get some force from the steering column as if I had turned it as far as I could when this wasn’t the case. And had some force when trying to spin it back. I got it a little bit on right hand turns as well. So I’m wondering if this is just normal behavior for my new winters in warmer temps or is it a transfer case issue or something? Property fitted stock size with no spacers and balanced. No check lights about any fluids. Hadn’t noticed this when running old tires about a week ago so hopefully just chalking it up to the temps instead of coincidentally developing another problem simultaneously.

Last edited by SiEgs90; 12-18-2017 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

are you running 16" rims for summer too?

the change is probably just you noticing how soft and compliant and narrow the winter tire tread is, also the warm temps heating them up even more making them even softer

definitely check your tire pressures, the only real issue with running winter tires in warm temps is they will wear out faster but as long as you are not doing big trips not gonna be an issue either
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

Yeah the previous owner had 16” Contiprocontact SSR Tires and I used them since May. These winters are much quieter and ride a lot better at least until it warmed up a bit here the last 2 days. psi is 34 in the rear when it should be at 36. I’ve ran them on the highway between 60-80mph with no issues after about 70 miles were put on them at low speeds. Stayed at 60mph in the rain with no handling issues when switching lanes. I just thought it was a big difference in feel for a 10 degree or so jump in weather so rapidly. Not like it’s 70 degrees out here.
Appreciate 0