BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

1M weight savings over 135i

Hi all -

In addition to a CF roof on the 1M, what other ways/parts did BMW try to save weight on the 1M compared to a 135i?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Uh... the 1M does not have a cf roof.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Uh... the 1M does not have a cf roof.

Neil
Okay, so just Sunroof delete?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
You could order either one with or without the moonroof.

The 135i weighs less than the 1M if similarly equipped.

Quote:
Leergewicht (Empty Weight) is @ 1570kg vs 1530kg for 135i.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518273

BMW really did nothing to lower the weight.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3201.50
      12-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Thanks - I was going on old memories where I thought they were doing things to, if nothing else, help offset any weight gain due to bigger wheels, tires, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks - I was going on old memories where I thought they were doing things to, if nothing else, help offset any weight gain due to bigger wheels, tires, etc.
They gave it a little more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Maybe I had gotten an errant source

http://www.automoblog.net/2010/12/16...s-and-details/
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Only real weight savings is the roof and 6MT only as a trans.

Above the 135i, the 1M has an extra radiator, M3 rear subframe and diff, larger wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
You could order either one with or without the moonroof.

The 135i weighs less than the 1M if similarly equipped.

Quote:
Leergewicht (Empty Weight) is @ 1570kg vs 1530kg for 135i.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518273

BMW really did nothing to lower the weight.
Sorry sir you have it backwards. BMW's own number that are used to perform the same method for certification list the 1M At 3296 lbs and 135i At 3373 lbs. not only is the 1M 77 lbs lighter to start with because of all aluminum subframe and suspension. Even the shocks and struts are aluminum vs steel on 135i but the 1M is also carrying bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes and a full lock differential, bigger exhaust, quicker M steering rack as well as an additional radiator with extra coolant. So even though many say 77 lbs is not that much. It is 77 lbs plus bigger and better hardware on top of it. There is less insulation and even the flywheel is lighter!

As Yoda would say, " more wrong, you cannot be."
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Sorry sir you have it backwards. BMW's own number that are used to perform the same method for certification list the 1M At 3296 lbs and 135i At 3373 lbs. not only is the 1M 77 lbs lighter to start with because of all aluminum subframe and suspension. Even the shocks and struts are aluminum vs steel on 135i but the 1M is also carrying bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes and a full lock differential, bigger exhaust, quicker M steering rack as well as an additional radiator with extra coolant. So even though many say 77 lbs is not that much. It is 77 lbs plus bigger and better hardware on top of it. There is less insulation and even the flywheel is lighter!

Hmm, the numbers I quoted were originally taken directly from BMW's German site.

Both the 1M and the 135i have an aluminium front subframe and a steel rear subframe. Also, after having switched all my front and rear control arms to the 1M version, there really is no difference in weight. The rear front and upper arms on the 135 are actually probably lighter, but the rear camber arm is a little lighter on the 1M. Makes is pretty much a wash, or a 2 or 3 lb difference total.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 12-21-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
from numbers outside of BMW say, The 1M is usually around 3325-3350 and a US 135i around 3380 with a tank of gas. The main weight difference is due to the lack of sunroof on the 1m. The 1m has additional parts, a heavier complete subframe (diff, axels, all beefier) and heavier( and better) brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, the numbers I quoted were originally taken directly from BMW's German site.

Both the 1M and the 135i have an aluminium front subframe and a steel rear subframe. Also, after having switched all my front and rear control arms to the 1M version, there really is no difference in weight. The rear front and upper arms on the 135 are actually probably lighter, but the rear camber arm is a little lighter on the 1M. Makes is pretty much a wash, or a 2 or 3 lb difference total.
Please re-read my post. The steering rack is different and quicker. The flywheel lighter, there is less insulation. The shocks and strut housings are aluminum. The brakes are bigger but cross drilled with aluminum hats. The diff is much more complex and there is
More rubber and wheel clearance. Even if the final weight were the same it is not a "wash". For less weight you get harder edged components. The 135 is an amazing machine but you are discounting significant differences while still being lighter! I believe you simply reread the original post incorrectly and assigned the lighter weight to the 135 instead of 1M.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Only real weight savings is the roof and 6MT only as a trans.

Above the 135i, the 1M has an extra radiator, M3 rear subframe and diff, larger wheels and tires.
Bigger brakes, different quicker steering rack, lighter flywheel, full lock diff, wider body, aluminum shocks, M traction control mapping, quad exhaust without exhaust valve......
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please re-read my post. The steering rack is different and quicker. The flywheel lighter, there is less insulation. The shocks and strut housings are aluminum. The brakes are bigger but cross drilled with aluminum hats. The diff is much more complex and there is
More rubber and wheel clearance. Even if the final weight were the same it is not a "wash". For less weight you get harder edged components. The 135 is an amazing machine but you are discounting significant differences while still being lighter! I believe you simply reread the original post incorrectly and assigned the lighter weight to the 135 instead of 1M.
100%. Even with the weights similar, there is much more value packed into the 1M per lb.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
from numbers outside of BMW say, The 1M is usually around 3325-3350 and a US 135i around 3380 with a tank of gas. The main weight difference is due to the lack of sunroof on the 1m. The 1m has additional parts, a heavier complete subframe (diff, axels, all beefier) and heavier( and better) brakes.
Yes it still weighs less than 135 despite bigger and quicker components.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes it still weighs less than 135 despite bigger and quicker components.
absolutely. that is factual. no one can disagree that.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So much butt hurt in this thread.

First off, both the 135 and 1M could be bought with, or without the moonroof, so that point is meaningless.

The 135 has aluminium hat rotors as well. This thread is purely about weight, so I don't know why people are mentioning the variable ratio steering rack, does that make it lighter?

The 135 has aluminium front and rear calipers, the 1M has cast iron front calipers.

I am not even remotely saying the 1M is not a special vehicle, but I am calling a spade a spade. It is a 135 that they threw a bunch of of the shelf parts at, and it works beautifully. Just don't treat it as more than what it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

First off, both the 135 and 1M could be bought with, or without the moonroof, so that point is meaningless.

The 135 has aluminium hat rotors as well. This thread is purely about weight, so I don't know why people are mentioning the variable ratio steering rack, does that make it lighter?

The 135 has aluminium front and rear calipers, the 1M has cast iron front calipers.

I am not even remotely saying the 1M is not a special vehicle, but I am calling a spade a spade. It is a 135 that they threw a bunch of of the shelf parts at, and it works beautifully. Just don't treat it as more than what it is.

1M was not available with a Sunroof. 135i in North America came standard with a sunroof.

The 1m has larger and heavier E92 M3 brakes. They perform better than the 135i brakes however.

The 1M has active steering with an m3 rack. It likely weighs a tad bit more.

The main point was that the 1M has some of the beefier M3 rear subframe and LSD, beefier brakes and additional PPK radiator, but saves weight through some of the m3 lighter parts, shocks, camber links and no sunroof. So even if the two cars are similar in weight, the 1m packs more performance value per lb.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No butt hurt just value accuracy.

The 1M is lighter period. And even if only 70 or so pounds this is on top of bigger components. I mention this because you said the opposite that it was heavier. Then the difference is so little that it's a wash. It's not but my point is even if the weight we're the same you there are more things and bigger things on the 1M which make the weight savings even more significant.

My issue is with inaccuracy not 1M love.
There is too much of people saying inaccurate things on here and they become accepted as gospel . The fact solely on weight is this:

BMW has an official weight reporting protocol that they have to use worldwide to get their cars certified. In 2011 they used the exact same standards and configuration to weigh a 1M and 135i. Their numbers had the 1M at 77 lbs lighter than 135.

Period.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Good discussion. The reason I brought up the thread is in case there were things like lighter bumpers or things like that they may have put on the 1M that may be able to be swapped onto a 135i.

e46s and e46 M3s came with aluminum and carbon fiber bumpers. I saved over 7 lbs. putting an e60 5 series front bumper as the rear bumper on the M4.

I believe the standard equip. for the 135i would have probably also been the automatic trans. where the 1M only came in manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #21
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1M was not available with a Sunroof. 135i in North America came standard with a sunroof.

The 1m has larger and heavier E92 M3 brakes. They perform better than the 135i brakes however.

The 1M has active steering with an m3 rack. It likely weighs a tad bit more.

The main point was that the 1M has some of the beefier M3 rear subframe and LSD, beefier brakes and additional PPK radiator, but saves weight through some of the m3 lighter parts, shocks, camber links and no sunroof. So even if the two cars are similar in weight, the 1m packs more performance value per lb.
The 135 did not come standard with a sunroof. I had to pay a considerable amount to add it with the "Executive Package". They just did not make the option available on the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #22
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The 135 did not come standard with a sunroof. I had to pay a considerable amount to add it with the "Executive Package". They just did not make the option available on the 1M.
ahhh, your canadian. I believe you guys could get slicktop. In the USA, we were limited to having to have sunroofs on 135i's. We could get slicktop 128i's.
Appreciate 0