E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Quality of OEM M-Tech kit vs. Duke Dynamics kit.

05-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Transit

Quality of OEM M-Tech kit vs. Duke Dynamics kit.

Is the M-Tech kit made of the same plastic as the stock bumper?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of waiting for the Duke Dynamics kit, however, I know it's FRP.

I don't know about these materials too well, but am I right in assuming that FRP is much more brittle/fragile than the OE plastic?

I like the look of the Duke kit better, but if quality is an issue compared to OE, I'll just pay the extra for the OE.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samps View Post
Is the M-Tech kit made of the same plastic as the stock bumper?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of waiting for the Duke Dynamics kit, however, I know it's FRP.

I don't know about these materials too well, but am I right in assuming that FRP is much more brittle/fragile than the OE plastic?

I like the look of the Duke kit better, but if quality is an issue compared to OE, I'll just pay the extra for the OE.

TIA
go with oem, just because I believe it will fit better. recently, there has been alot of posts about fitment being really bad.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Just look in the for sale section and you will see DD bumpers with all sorts of cracks and chips. Way too brittle. I'd give it a year or two of constant vibrations from driving, you'll see these bumpers cracking at the mounting tabs.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
AJayE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
Just look in the for sale section and you will see DD bumpers with all sorts of cracks and chips. Way too brittle. I'd give it a year or two of constant vibrations from driving, you'll see these bumpers cracking at the mounting tabs.
+1 i ove te love of it too, i was dying for it, but the material is horrible, and the fitment is even worse

[JBE92335i]www.youtube.com/italiombiano
[Black Dakota Leather] [ZSP] [ZPP] [AA Xede] [iconz 830Z] [9500i]
[CF Kidney Grilles] [CF Vorsteiner PD Hood] [M-tech Sides] [Custom AngelEyes]
[Aero Lip] [Painted Reflectors/lowergrilles] [AC/S Roof Spoiler]
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Go with OEM, quality = 100%. Duke Dynamics is not even in the same league. Plus, here's the kicker, it's made in China, nothing again Chinese-made products, but after seeing their kit in person, I was grossly disappointed. And if they're having their stuff made by cheap laborers, at least charge accordingly.

Nice design, poor quality material.
      05-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
canucklion
Canada
Rep

When I first voiced my observation on the DD kit, they got all pissy and thought that I had some sort of hidden agenda.

The paintshop owner that was prepping a DD kit told me that it was a pain in the ass to paint the kit due to many imperfections. He pointed out to me the pock marks on the kit; said that they had to fill it and sand it. Way more work needed than the OEM. He quoted the owner a price based on the assumption that the DD kit was as good as the OEM. He won't make that mistake again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
go with oem, just because I believe it will fit better. recently, there has been alot of posts about fitment being really bad.
      05-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go with the OEM kit. My only gripe is, it's way more expensive in Canada...

Shipping from the US will still cost a lot in duty and taxes.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Frankie D
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6 gran coupe

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go with the OEM kit. My only gripe is, it's way more expensive in Canada...

Shipping from the US will still cost a lot in duty and taxes.
They dont sell them in the US. I wish they did lol . if they did i would have 1. deff better off getten oem. i had a dd bumper and i never even installed it because of all the damage to it before i even recieved it
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

They don't sell the OEM M-Tech kit for the E90 in the US? I thought Tischer sold them...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
When I first voiced my observation on the DD kit, they got all pissy and thought that I had some sort of hidden agenda.

The paintshop owner that was prepping a DD kit told me that it was a pain in the ass to paint the kit due to many imperfections. He pointed out to me the pock marks on the kit; said that they had to fill it and sand it. Way more work needed than the OEM. He quoted the owner a price based on the assumption that the DD kit was as good as the OEM. He won't make that mistake again.
its sad though. i recall mite46 or whatever had said that his kit was perfect in terms of quality + fitment... now all we hear is bad stuff.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
canucklion
Canada
Rep

FrankieD is mistaken; Tischer does sell OEM M-tech kit, though they don't' ship to Canada.

Quote:
They don't sell the OEM M-Tech kit for the E90 in the US? I thought Tischer sold them...
      05-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
canucklion
Canada
Rep

my guess is that DD probably did an awesome job on MITE46's kit. Made a damn good prototype knowing that MITE46 was going to attend shows and such, free advertisement for DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
its sad though. i recall mite46 or whatever had said that his kit was perfect in terms of quality + fitment... now all we hear is bad stuff.
      05-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #13
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
FrankieD is mistaken; Tischer does sell OEM M-tech kit, though they don't' ship to Canada.
+1---well kinda

OEM Mtech kit for sedan is avail in US.

OEM Mtech kit for coupe is not avail in US.

Tischer is now shipping internationally....but you need to contact them about details. Not sure about size requirements, particular products avail.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136822
      05-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
canucklion
Canada
Rep

^ thanks for the update Mag, I need to patrol the board more often like before!

Mag is correct that the OEM M-tech kit for the coupe is not available in the US, I was replying to Samps regarding his question on the availablility of OEM E90 M-tech kit
      05-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Both MW Design and Duke sell E92/3 OEM M-Tech kits and that's the one to get. It's Duke's in-house developed fibreglass M-Kit that is terrible in terms of quality. Both companies are located in Vancouver.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

OEM.

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Disappointing because DD had potential, but everything I've read here has shown me their kits are crap.

ABS > FRP and OEM > Aftermarket
      05-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #18
retiredgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 Coupe

i have the front bumper and its not that bad. in fact its growing on me more everday. Sure the fitment could be better but its not like it lopsided. In fact most non enthusiasts would never notice fitment issues. However i would not recomend paying full price for their kits.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #19
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Quote:
Go with OEM, quality = 100%. Duke Dynamics is not even in the same league. Plus, here's the kicker, it's made in China, nothing again Chinese-made products, but after seeing their kit in person, I was grossly disappointed. And if they're having their stuff made by cheap laborers, at least charge accordingly.

Nice design, poor quality material.
It has nothing to do with where the kit is made, and has everything to do with the technique employed in making it. The OEM ones are made by precision urethene injection moulding, and the moulds are developed using state of the art CAD/CAM technology currently employed by BMW, using body dimension data from the original blueprint for best possible fittment. The Duke Dynamics kit is made of hand laid fibreglass, from a hand made mould developed in house by trial-and-error. That's what made the difference. If that kit is made in Germany using the same mould the result would have been the same, and vice versa.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
mig28
Major
Rep
Drives: She's black, wild, 'n hawt!!

first of all. are you grazy?comparing OEM material with AFtermarket kits?thats insane!
there is no such things that you guys can compare the oem material and atermarkets.

OEM material is pure abs and DD kits are fiberglass or other words FRP.

remember sometimes even OEM material kits need pre adjust in order to install it.but less work compare to replica kits.
Some replica kits are good and some are not that good.I dont know personally about DD kits,but saw quite lots of threads selling their DD kits on this forum.

replica kits can be adjusted or in other words pre fitting.some probably the labour cost too much and the buyers are nagging and no $$$ to install it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #21
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Least expensive Oem M-Tech??
Appreciate 0