E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question about Upgrading Turbo...

05-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question about Upgrading Turbo...

I know there is thousands of threads about this probably, but i didnt know what exactly to search for.

So...i have a feeling my turbo is on its way to breaking down...so im thinking, instead of paying a good 5 thousand just to BMW to replace them(since i dont have warranty) im thinkin of possibly upgrading my turbo's.

Question:
Boring out the compressor housing and installing and balancing a slighly larger wheel, giving me more power at lower boost/heat levels.
what you guys think of this? How would the fuel pump react to this? give me some Pro's and Con's
i think, everybody would like to know this.
and if its doable, ima do it! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KILL3R View Post
I know there is thousands of threads about this probably, but i didnt know what exactly to search for.

So...i have a feeling my turbo is on its way to breaking down...so im thinking, instead of paying a good 5 thousand just to BMW to replace them(since i dont have warranty) im thinkin of possibly upgrading my turbo's.

Question:
Boring out the compressor housing and installing and balancing a slighly larger wheel, giving me more power at lower boost/heat levels.
what you guys think of this? How would the fuel pump react to this? give me some Pro's and Con's
Bigger compressors will allow you to make more hp at the same boost pressure because its more efficient.

You will def. need to feed more fuel but not sure about bimmer's fuel pump/injector capacity.

I think this will be a great project. I would give forced performance a call and see if they can make you something that's compatible with oem manifolds but moves alot more air than stockers.

GL
      05-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Instead of taking on the big job of upgrading the turbos you may just want to bid on these remanufactured ones:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145042

Or I also believe ARDesigns is selling the turbos they pulled off their project car in the for-sale section.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
Instead of taking on the big job of upgrading the turbos you may just want to bid on these remanufactured ones:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145042

Or I also believe ARDesigns is selling the turbos they pulled off their project car in the for-sale section.
yea, i know, i've seen all those.
the thing is.
if the fuel and everything works out.
i can "upgrade" my turbo's for a reasonable price UNDER 2000.

so right now im seeing the possibilities of "upgrading" my turbo's.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
Bigger compressors will allow you to make more hp at the same boost pressure because its more efficient.

You will def. need to feed more fuel but not sure about bimmer's fuel pump/injector capacity.

I think this will be a great project. I would give forced performance a call and see if they can make you something that's compatible with oem manifolds but moves alot more air than stockers.

GL
Thanks man!
let me know what you find out!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Sadly I don't think anyone has publicly done this before so you will have to be the guinea pig. Why don't you just go back to stock and have BMW replace the turbos under warranty when they go out?

With bigger turbos..the next questions that will come will be 1. can the transmission handle the power, 2. can the engine handle the power, and 3. what sort of ECU enhancer will you be using.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Sadly I don't think anyone has publicly done this before so you will have to be the guinea pig. Why don't you just go back to stock and have BMW replace the turbos under warranty when they go out?

With bigger turbos..the next questions that will come will be 1. can the transmission handle the power, 2. can the engine handle the power, and 3. what sort of ECU enhancer will you be using.
He's merely trying to fit "slightly" bigger compressors which aren't bigger turboes in themselves.

Since he's not trying to increase his power output by 2x or more,
I would say its quite safe. (only one way to find out)
Piggy back should be used to control fuel.
      05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep

Quote:
see here's the thing....i dont have warranty lolll

Quote:
and this is what i want ppl to answer in this thread loll
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
FastLane
Live life in this lane....
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

You will need to do some serious tuning. Might wanna go Procede for this because you can monitor all the diagnostics.

Also, if you decided to use larger turbos (not modifications to stock ones) becareful of the space in the engine compartment.

The block is pretty solid so I dont see much issue there unless you are planning on pushing 600+whp. You will most likely have to upgrade fuel pump, fuel rail/line, and maybe injectors for proper delivery. New forged pistons might not be a bad idea (again depending on how much power you want) and you may have to mess with the compression to eliminate knock and/or other issues (read up on why Alpina messed with the comp ratio). Throw the cats to the dogs, free flow exhaust is a must. Your trans should hold up as long as you dont dump the clutch at redline (Im assuming you know how to drive and have a stick).

Just becareful in the parts you choose. Remember this is a direct injected vehicle....but I say GO FOR IT!!! keep us posted. -- just my 20 pesos
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
do it!!!!
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane View Post
You will need to do some serious tuning. Might wanna go Procede for this because you can monitor all the diagnostics.

Also, if you decided to use larger turbos (not modifications to stock ones) becareful of the space in the engine compartment.

The block is pretty solid so I dont see much issue there unless you are planning on pushing 600+whp. You will most likely have to upgrade fuel pump, fuel rail/line, and maybe injectors for proper delivery. New forged pistons might not be a bad idea (again depending on how much power you want) and you may have to mess with the compression to eliminate knock and/or other issues (read up on why Alpina messed with the comp ratio). Throw the cats to the dogs, free flow exhaust is a must. Your trans should hold up as long as you dont dump the clutch at redline (Im assuming you know how to drive and have a stick).

Just becareful in the parts you choose. Remember this is a direct injected vehicle....but I say GO FOR IT!!! keep us posted. -- just my 20 pesos
problem is i do not think there is currently an aftermarket HPFP avail for the n54.

fueling may be the sticking point for this mod.
3 companies: auto talent, helix and (if you can call that tuner in s. florida a company) all have announced they are working on turbo upgrades.

it has been months now and although all these 3 companies probably have the turbo hardware setups, the fueling has NOT been solved.

OTHERWISE, they would have been out with a turbo upgrade by now. IMHO, first to market with this will make some serious bucks (if the turbo upgrade is reliable).

if the OP thinks he can do anything like this, he should think again....
if he still thinks he can do it, then GO FOR IT !!!

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

how do you not have warranty? do you already put down more than 50k miles or do you have salvage title car?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

What happened to your warranty? Does it have anything to do with the fuel pump issue a while back?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Contact Eric Siu from XS-Engineering. Might be able to have them do a prototype on your car.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Contact Eric Siu from XS-Engineering. Might be able to have them do a prototype on your car.
wats his username?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #16
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What happened to your warranty? Does it have anything to do with the fuel pump issue a while back?
yep...
loll
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
M3KILL3R
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
problem is i do not think there is currently an aftermarket HPFP avail for the n54.

fueling may be the sticking point for this mod.
3 companies: auto talent, helix and (if you can call that tuner in s. florida a company) all have announced they are working on turbo upgrades.

it has been months now and although all these 3 companies probably have the turbo hardware setups, the fueling has NOT been solved.

OTHERWISE, they would have been out with a turbo upgrade by now. IMHO, first to market with this will make some serious bucks (if the turbo upgrade is reliable).

if the OP thinks he can do anything like this, he should think again....
if he still thinks he can do it, then GO FOR IT !!!

my 2 cents
i know their doin TURBO UPGRADES, but im thinkin of upgrading compressor wheel and housing...kinda diff dontcha think?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
wats his username?
He's not on the forum.

http://www.xs-engineering.com

They are one of the more well-known turbo shops in the southland.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Well, since it says you have a procede in your sig you should give Shiv a call and see of his new method of increasing fuel pressure to get around the STFT thing could be implemented along with increased duty cycles (since you don;t care about the STFT thing) to get enough fuel.

As far as the actual turbo upgrade goes, to my knowledge no one has done it yet. RD sport supposedly has an upgrade but, the one guy that I saw that was gettig it is still waiting on it I believe.

I would give forced performance a call as stated above. I hope you've got another car you can drive though while FP works it out because it's not something you want to rush.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:

Question:
So what makes you think your turbo is on the way of breaking down?
Is it smoking out of the exhaust yet? Do you have a recording of the sound?
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #21
FastLane
Live life in this lane....
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

You dont need a "pre-fab'd kit." Engineer you own kit. So many people go out and say "well, there isnt a kit or parts yet." Contact a supplier, they will have all the parts you need. Why would you go out and spend double or triple the price as to piece together your own kit? Get one or two turbos, a fuel pump (from a Jet plane if you have to), then go to a local mechanic and have him bend some 2.5 or 3in high quality steel (have it jet hot coated), weld it together, and snag a Procede off the for sale section. Slap all that on you car and start will a low performance tune and work you way up. If you encurr issues along the way start messing with timing, cam's, and comp ratios, pistons etc...

Then after you get the engine running right, go out and get yourself a nice set of brakes. Because theres no point in having all that power if you cant stop! Our suspension is damn near perfect as BMW is one of the few companies that fully utilizes the entire suspension range, so you can wait on making your vehicle feel every stone on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane View Post
You dont need a "pre-fab'd kit." Engineer you own kit. So many people go out and say "well, there isnt a kit or parts yet." Contact a supplier, they will have all the parts you need. Why would you go out and spend double or triple the price as to piece together your own kit? Get one or two turbos, a fuel pump (from a Jet plane if you have to), then go to a local mechanic and have him bend some 2.5 or 3in high quality steel (have it jet hot coated), weld it together, and snag a Procede off the for sale section. Slap all that on you car and start will a low performance tune and work you way up. If you encurr issues along the way start messing with timing, cam's, and comp ratios, pistons etc...

Then after you get the engine running right, go out and get yourself a nice set of brakes. Because theres no point in having all that power if you cant stop! Our suspension is damn near perfect as BMW is one of the few companies that fully utilizes the entire suspension range, so you can wait on making your vehicle feel every stone on the road.
You make it sound so simple. I wonder why someone hasn't done it already.
Appreciate 0