E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Traction control dangerous

12-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Does anyone else agree that BMWs implementation of traction control in the RWD cars is borderline dangerous? It seems to cut power far sooner and far more than needed. In my car, it almost always engages as I'm trying to accelerate from a stop while making a turn. Just today I was trying to scoot quick through traffic on a very busy road where it can be really tough to find a good time to pull out, and it cut power 2 or 3 times in rapid succession, and my car took way too long to get through oncoming traffic. It gave me a little bit of a scare. I'd rather have the wheels spin a tiny bit or even let the ass end of the car wiggle a bit on me than cut so much power to the wheels. I wish it were more progressive or it could be put in a less aggressive mode, I don't always remember to punch the traction control button to turn it off while I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
Does anyone else agree that BMWs implementation of traction control in the RWD cars is borderline dangerous? It seems to cut power far sooner and far more than needed. In my car, it almost always engages as I'm trying to accelerate from a stop while making a turn. Just today I was trying to scoot quick through traffic on a very busy road where it can be really tough to find a good time to pull out, and it cut power 2 or 3 times in rapid succession, and my car took way too long to get through oncoming traffic. It gave me a little bit of a scare. I'd rather have the wheels spin a tiny bit or even let the ass end of the car wiggle a bit on me than cut so much power to the wheels. I wish it were more progressive or it could be put in a less aggressive mode, I don't always remember to punch the traction control button to turn it off while I'm driving.
Just an off the wall question, are you running continental non run flats?
With my wife's car we ran conti winters that were non run flat tires and had that issue, now we are back with bmw reccomended tires and the traction control issues is no longer there.
Bottom line, I am willing to bet that if you get a firmer tire you will no longer have the issues.

On a secondary note, mark your tires and rims with something and take it for a hard drive. I have read recently of tires spinning on the wheels causing the traction control issues as well.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
e90dum58.50
      12-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Nachfolger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 335I W/ M-Sport & Prem Pkg

Frankly, I don't resonate with your opinion. Yes, I do get TC to jump in here and there when it's wet outside, but never to the extent that I feel like it's hindering my ability to drive safely. By no means do I accelerate lightly, either.

Perhaps the problem is your tires?
Appreciate 3
      12-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachfolger View Post
Frankly, I don't resonate with your opinion. Yes, I do get TC to jump in here and there when it's wet outside, but never to the extent that I feel like it's hindering my ability to drive safely. By no means do I accelerate lightly, either.

Perhaps the problem is your tires?
My opinion,

Problem is tires and driving habits.

If you know how to drive a car with no traction control you would know the limits of your tires and would not be pushing the throttle that hard in those situations.

With Traction control, we get lazy.

Change tires and use the correct pressure and it will get much better.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      12-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
My opinion,

Problem is tires and driving habits.

If you know how to drive a car with no traction control you would know the limits of your tires and would not be pushing the throttle that hard in those situations.

With Traction control, we get lazy.

Change tires and use the correct pressure and it will get much better.
I have to add, with the contis it would trigger the traction control just by bumping the cruise control up 5mph on the autobahn.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sounds like you have shitty tires. You can try pressing the dtc button once to allow a little slip to avoid that situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Sounds like you have shitty tires. You can try pressing the dtc button once to allow a little slip to avoid that situation.
This guy knows what's up....good advice!
But seriously.....turn off traction control and learn how to drive without the nannies....and if you crash because of that....it most probably is your fault....but seriously don't crash!
And buy sticky tires before you try my advice.
YMMV

GL OP
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Quote:
But seriously.....turn off traction control and learn how to drive without the nannies....and if you crash because of that....it most probably is your fault....but seriously don't crash!
YMMV

GL OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Quote:
YMMV

GL OP
I wouldn't turn it off all the way OP. Just press it once and you should be golden. I normally drive with the button pressed once
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
ycehcky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sport Package

Tires, as stated. My 330i traction control will do this to me as well when it is cold or wet. I turn off the traction control all the way pretty much every time I get in the car, because my right foot can do the same thing without it being an on off switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Never had this problem in my E91, I would guess old/shitty tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19&quot;, AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The tires are the run-flat Bridgestones, they still look like they have some tread wear left in them. They have been slipping more lately though, that's probably the issue. There's also been a lot of salt on the roads lately too, so that might be contributing.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
The tires are the run-flat Bridgestones, they still look like they have some tread wear left in them. They have been slipping more lately though, that's probably the issue. There's also been a lot of salt on the roads lately too, so that might be contributing.
those tires are probably the problem. stock bstone rft were plane dangerous except on a perfectly smooth dry road.

if you really want to fix the rear end get good tires first then m3 sfb and lsd and you'll get a different car. with lsd you can turn tc off if you know the limits.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #13
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
those tires are probably the problem. stock bstone rft were plane dangerous except on a perfectly smooth dry road.

if you really want to fix the rear end get good tires first then m3 sfb and lsd and you'll get a different car. with lsd you can turn tc off if you know the limits.
i'd argue the open diff teaches you how to drive
      01-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

Have you replaced any wheel bearings?
I replaced a front bearing and received a 3rd party bearing in an OEM box. The traction control kicked in all the time.
I checked the wheel speed in ISTA while driving and found out that the left front wheel were going 4% slower then the other wheels. So the traction control would think that I were turning while spinning the rear left tire.
Diagnostics won't show any errors before the difference is more then 5%, I got the error code when the tire had deflated a bit.

Replaced the bearing and the traction control went back to normal. It only kicks in when it's needed, even with soft winter tires.

Check your wheel speeds and see if all 4 wheels have the same readings.
      01-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post

i'd argue the open diff teaches you how to drive
can you elaborate?
Appreciate 0