ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Thumbs down SMG getting lost/confused between gears?

hey guys. I've had woes with this tranny before, as twice in one day it grinded the gears twice between 1st and 2nd, about 45min apart from eachother. Once while upshifting, the other while downshifting.

now today for the first time ever, the transmission became "lost" I guess you can say, as even though the readout said I was (upshifting this time) into second, it was in complete neutral, and the engine just revved freely. I shifted around and put into full auto.... and nothing. This went on for 5 seconds or so... right in rush hour traffic....great
After shiting into neutral, then full automatic; it found the gear it was supposed to be in (2nd) and finally went back to normal.

Is this is a problem anybody else has experienced? if so, what does this mean in the manner of repairs and so forth? All three of these times to date, its been in manual shift mode.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I gotta say it, make sure you're on the most recent version of the software. There are known issues in the older versions. I've not had a problem with mine to date, knock on wood. My dealer assures me I'm on the most recent version, although I do not know its version # or release date to help further, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ Thank you, I will ask my dealer about that. What is the price of the software upgrade if you dont mind me asking?
I'm assuming this is the "SMG 2" ?
Appreciate 0