E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone Have True Duals?

01-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
k1ng_3nglewood
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Anyone Have True Duals?

Has anyone done “true” duals from the down pipes in tandem all way back to a 335 or 328 style exit? I’ve done a lot of searching on here and other sites but haven’t found any good info, pics, or videos.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

They're dual until the resonator to my knowledge. So it would just be a matter of either exiting the resonator as dual, or doing a res back delete and running duals.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
k1ng_3nglewood
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
They're dual until the resonator to my knowledge. So it would just be a matter of either exiting the resonator as dual, or doing a res back delete and running duals.
That’s what I’m thinking, but I haven’t seen anyone do it. The only hiccup I could see by looking under the car, is clearance between the IRS. Didn’t know if that’s the reason for the Y coming out of the Resonator. Seems to me the best free flowing set up on a 328i would be to delete the Res and run duals back to tandem bullet style mufflers and independent dual tips, single exit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ng_3nglewood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
That’s what I’m thinking, but I haven’t seen anyone do it. The only hiccup I could see by looking under the car, is clearance between the IRS. Didn’t know if that’s the reason for the Y coming out of the Resonator. Seems to me the best free flowing set up on a 328i would be to delete the Res and run duals back to tandem bullet style mufflers and independent dual tips, single exit.
To my knowledge and thinking logically, anyone who does a res and muffler delete would and should just do dual. Because either that or you're running dual to single then back to dual. I'd assume it's much easier to just buy two sets of pipes rather than all that.

Performance wise, I don't think you're going to notice a difference. Doing a single 3.5" pipe to dual tips verses two 2.5" pipe would probably make no difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
k1ng_3nglewood
Rep

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s almost silly not to. I’m trying to plan an exhaust set-up that’s a little bit louder than stock. I just want to do it right the first time. I’m not really concerned about performance as the e92 is my daily. I have a different car if I need to be fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

I'm curious what difference there may be in sound and power between a typical aftermarket exhaust such as the PE, Magnaflow, or Borla that goes 2 into 1 after the cats versus Supersprint which remains 2 pipes all the way to the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
k1ng_3nglewood
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthead View Post
I'm curious what difference there may be in sound and power between a typical aftermarket exhaust such as the PE, Magnaflow, or Borla that goes 2 into 1 after the cats versus Supersprint which remains 2 pipes all the way to the muffler.
I’m my experiences with other cars, the more pipes and the larger the pipes, the less ricey (I hate that term) they sound. To my ears, a lot of the res and muffler delete cars sound like duck-calls.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

I have a true setup.. so to speak... headers pipe down to mini cat and dual pipes go out to my 335i mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
superduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 M Sport

I'm running Supersprint pipes from the headers back. I went this direction because it's as close as you can get to true duals w/o going to a full custom set up. The system has an X pipe where the resonator used to be and a two inlet muffler. The clearance around the rear suspension is tight. Particularly since it was designed for an E90 and I'm running it on a E91. The E91 has a structural brace that the E90 doesn't have. BTW, Supersprint has two systems: this one and another that's more like the factory set up.
      01-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

How do you like it? How are the sound quality and volume? I bought the SuperSprint exhaust including the short connecting pipes, both the X-pipe and resonated mid-pipe, and the muffler. Waiting for it to arrive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty View Post
I'm running Supersprint pipes from the headers back. I went this direction because it's as close as you can get to true duals w/o going to a full custom set up. The system has an X pipe where the resonator used to be and a two inlet muffler. The clearance around the rear suspension is tight. Particularly since it was designed for an E90 and I'm running it on a E91. The E91 has a structural brace that the E90 doesn't have. BTW, Supersprint has two systems: this one and another that's more like the factory set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
superduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 M Sport

The Supersprint set fits well and is of good quality. I need to redo the whole system to eliminate the leaks at the joints. I would prefer that they would have used clamps instead of pinch bolts but it really a minor issue for me. I also would have preferred more dBs but the sound is OK. No drone. I also noted an increase in torque and the engine more responsive. For example, with the stock exhaust I had to drive through my neighborhood in 2nd gear because of all the silly speed bumps. Now I can easily use 3rd. Also, the engagement of the clutch during the 1-2 shift is no longer jerky and easier to modulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthead View Post
How do you like it? How are the sound quality and volume? I bought the SuperSprint exhaust including the short connecting pipes, both the X-pipe and resonated mid-pipe, and the muffler. Waiting for it to arrive....