E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DS Rear Window dead

01-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
yodaddyguido
Rep
Drives: 06 330i sport

DS Rear Window dead

My drivers side rear window is dead. I'm not entirely certain what happened, but the other day just happened to be frigid outside (~5 degrees F), and as i'm getting ready to leave for work, i accidentally hit the express down on my rear window instead of my front (was about to talk to a coworker). i stopped the window about 2/3 of the way down and i suddenly hear the chime... anti-trap function disabled.

window won't raise or lower from then on. zero response from the drivers control, or at the door. did a little research on the anti-trap issues around the forum, but none of them include a completely dead window. my brain says, must be the motor. so with the chime going off every 12 seconds, no matter what i do, i ordered it in a hurry. installed the new motor (since the regulator moves great), and nothing. no buzz, hums, or clicks out of the new motor... what on earth have i done?! i can't take this chime anymore!!!!

i checked every fuse i could see behind the glove box that had to do with the little window icon, and they all look fine. i'm not seeing any other strange errors in the car. ive flipped the sun visors up and down, opened and closed the vanity mirrors, folded and unfolded the side mirrors, all interior lights work, sunroof works, key chimes, you name it... everything works, no service lights, nothing. i'm ready to drive this thing into a tree if i can't kill this chiming/error. why on earth did BMW feels that this error was this much of a priority?!

thanks big time for any help ahead of time. i don't do much posting on this site, but plenty of reading.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
DenoirN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I've got nothing to add, just a bump for visibliity since I too have the same issues, except mine are in BOTH rear windows. So before I go buying parts i'd like to find a proper way to diagnose the issues then move from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
yodaddyguido
Rep
Drives: 06 330i sport

well as of right now, the issue was traced back to an internal relay WITHIN the fuse box behind the glove box that has allegedly failed... a non-replaceable part without an entirely new fuse box. ordered and just received a new fuse box in the mail but i'm getting ready to close on my house and move so this repair will be delayed further. if the fuse box fixes my issue, i'll be sure to post my findings. it's still chiming every... twelve... seconds... lol.

the most constructive thing i heard from bmw was, "well, the relay MAY be stuck... you may have hit a bump that tripped it, it may have actually failed. so without replacing the fuse box there's a CHANCE you could hit that same bump again, and it'll come back to life... oooor if it warms up and starts to work again it might fix itself. or it's just plain dead. replacing the fuse box is the first thing we will do. then clear the codes, and see if it comes up as something further down the line."

we shall see... ugh.
Appreciate 0