F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Wanting to Know What to Expect w/Tune + Delete
Extreme Powerhouse

01-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
xcftw
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d Xdrive

Wanting to Know What to Expect w/Tune + Delete

Okay, after plenty of research and debating and pros and cons, I am fairly certain I am going the tune route + EGR, SCR, and DPF deletes to wipe all current and future SCR related issues off the face of the map. (P.S.A. have scheduled to talk to a trained professional tomorrow to ensure I'm thinking of the right deletes for what I'm trying to accomplish since I'm still new at all of this and feel like I have no idea what I am doing! LOL!) Not 100% sure of Stage 1 or 2 yet but I've found Andrew in GA and I'm super excited to talk to him.

That being said, I've done a good bit of digging through the forums but now I want to ask directly..

- Who here has F30s with deletes similar to what I'm thinking about?

- How do you like it?

- Who did you buy the tune from?

- Did you do the work yourself?

- If so, how intensive was it?

I want to hear stories!
Appreciate 1
F30JD0.00
      01-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Well you already know I am.

I am willing to bet there are less than 10 328d that have been fully deleted in the USA. Likely less than 5.

So with that being said your not going to likely get much input here.

2016 328d
Jr3.0
Buzzken catted dp
Scr delete replaced by new exhaust from dp back.

If you do decide the delete route I highly suggest the cat to minimize the diesel smell as you will likely be unhappy without it. Performance wise it's no 335d. However I want to get mine next to a stock 535d to see how they compare performance wise. Exhaust is just right for me and has a slight rumble to it at idle. Nice throaty roar (or mini roar since it is a 4 banger).

One thing I have noticed so far is the TCU is going to need a future tune similar to what is available from xHP to better align the shift points and aggression. Even in sport mode I find it lacking. Thus isnt a problem with the dde tune but rather a next evolution for the performance of the overall vehicle.

I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Donnf08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d f30

I got mine from mission tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post

I am willing to bet there are less than 10 328d that have been fully deleted in the USA. Likely less than 5.

2016 328d
Jr3.0
Buzzken catted dp

If you do decide the delete route I highly suggest the cat to minimize the diesel smell as you will likely be unhappy without it. Performance wise it's no 335d. However I want to get mine next to a stock 535d to see how they compare performance wise. Exhaust is just right for me and has a slight rumble to it at idle. Nice throaty roar (or mini roar since it is a 4 banger).

One thing I have noticed so far is the TCU is going to need a future tune similar to what is available from xHP to better align the shift points and aggression. Even in sport mode I find it lacking. Thus isnt a problem with the dde tune but rather a next evolution for the performance of the overall vehicle.

I'm happy.
I got mine for about a year now and I love it! I also had the down pipe installed and deleted my resonator. Str8 pipe back but I have the muffler on. It’s awesome. I change my oil tho every 5k. And send samples to black stone. If u have any questions let me know
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

So, you went with the straight downpipe instead of the catted? How is the smell? Is it pretty obnoxious or is it bearable? Was looking at the catted option but it's currently out of stock. May try the straight one and have a diesel cat added later if needed. Seems like it could be added to the scr section rather than the downpipe and would be an easy weld.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328D grocery-getter

Let's bring this thread back to life.

I'm definitely looking to remove all the aforementioned items south of the turbo on my '15 328D wagon, which may make for a lonely 6 of us.

Where did everyone go for their tunes? Any decrease in MPG during non-spirited driving?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm01 View Post
Let's bring this thread back to life.

I'm definitely looking to remove all the aforementioned items south of the turbo on my '15 328D wagon, which may make for a lonely 6 of us.

Where did everyone go for their tunes? Any decrease in MPG during non-spirited driving?
I might be on board as well once the warranty expires in August. in for the answers!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got about 20k on the buzzken / JR stage3 now so I can comment. MIleage went up about 3-4 mpg on the highway, avg 42-43 now it was 39-40 before. Sport mode feels like the boat anchor it was hauling was removed, night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post

2016 328d
Jr3.0
Buzzken catted dp

I'm happy.
Agreed, especially about the cat part.
I decatted my old Jetta tdi and kind of regret it. The old ones don't even rob mpgs or performance compared to dpf and scr systems.
I had the opportunity to drive behind my Jetta and it was embarrassingly smelly. I would not want my wagon to make that smell on the road.

Currently I have all emissions equipment in place, but 'blunted' out in the tune quite a bit in terms of functionality. Good gains in mpg even with them still bolted on, and safer for the turbo and dpf.
Once I find some time, I will look into making a cat downpipe.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Got about 20k on the buzzken / JR stage3 now so I can comment. MIleage went up about 3-4 mpg on the highway, avg 42-43 now it was 39-40 before. Sport mode feels like the boat anchor it was hauling was removed, night and day difference.
Stage three is a full delete right?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes sir
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #11
Clloyd3182
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Any suggestions on where to get the parts for this type of delete project? I have a 14 328d i'm considering doing this on.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Tunemyeuro.com
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Aaarodriguez sells the parts and reprograms the DDE using a tune from JR Auto. 30k+ miles with no major issues. My only complaint is that there is a check engine light that comes and goes, they advised that The latest version of the tune should probably fix it, but they don't offer the mobile reprogramming cable anymore. So It will be necessary to pull the DDE out and send it back.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

What codes is their tune throwing? Just curious.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #15
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

From ISTA

"Monitoring Fuel Injection Ratio: Fuel Injection Rate too Low compared to lambda value and air mass.

Fault Description: Monitoring of calculated injjection correction quantity. Fault is set when the total correction quantity minus the current value of the basic correction quantity drops below the limit value dependent on the operating point. Monitoring refers to the fuel injection rate of all cylinders and is determined by means of the air/fuel ratio. The EGR Rate is used to attempt to compensate for the deviation in the fuel injection rate."

Seems like it's trying to do some correcting via the EGR valve and it's throwing a code because it's not able to do so. The EGR should be totally closed if it's disconnected, no? with all the horror stories of melted intakes and such, it sounds like it can do some pretty serious damage for a part that has gone out on half of the cars I've owned. Usually you only need to clean or replace the valve, not $7000 in extra parts! Not sure if a block off plate would be necessary if it's unplugged?

Last edited by kdog_x; 11-21-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What did you do about your DEF system when you installed the Buzzken pipes?
Appreciate 1
jbaby3.00
      12-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #17
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's still there, just drained and rinsed it out so it didnt turn into a snowball
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #18
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's still there, just drained and rinsed it out so it didnt turn into a snowball
So you just left this component under the car and tied it up and out of the way? https://photos.app.goo.gl/RbyjCLP4iCapKKKc6
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #19
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Actually, now I remember. The SCR system was giving me all kinds of grief, saying issue with one nox sensor or the other. ISTA was saying to replace both sensors... which are crazy expensive for sensors at almost $1,000 a pair. I just kept resetting it since it would go away for quite a while. Then I got a code for a short in the DEF fluid heater circuit that wouldn't go away. Which is that line in your picture. I inspected it and found the wires burned to a crisp. So I ordered a replacement line and when I went to replace it, the line was really stuck and the connector broke off of the metering valve. Replacement metering valve was $400 and backordered at the time to the tune of 2 weeks. That's where buzzken came in.

So to answer your question, I removed the line and just kept the new one in a box with all the other stock stuff to reinstall some day. The DEF tank is still mounted where it was. The wires on the metering line have to be spliced in, so I think you'd have to cut them if you wanted to remove it.

Last edited by kdog_x; 12-13-2018 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
mpm01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, now I remember. The SCR system was giving me all kinds of grief, saying issue with one nox sensor or the other. ISTA was saying to replace both sensors... which are crazy expensive for sensors at almost $1,000 a pair. I just kept resetting it since it would go away for quite a while. Then I got a code for a short in the DEF fluid heater circuit that wouldn't go away. Which is that line in your picture. I inspected it and found the wires burned to a crisp. So I ordered a replacement line and when I went to replace it, the line was really stuck and the connector broke off of the metering valve. Replacement metering valve was $400 and backordered at the time to the tune of 2 weeks. That's where buzzken came in.

So to answer your question, I removed the line and just kept the new one in a box with all the other stock stuff to reinstall some day. The DEF tank is still mounted where it was. The wires on the metering line have to be spliced in, so I think you'd have to cut them if you wanted to remove it.
Yeah.....I think I'm just pulling out the injector and zip-tying everything to the trans mount. I'm currently on the floor in a garage and without any assistance at the moment, so completion is more important than appearance. I'll go back and clean things up once I regain access to my shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #21
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Think you will actually go back to stock one day?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Probably not for myself, but maybe when it gets a for sale sign.

Not 100% sure yet but I'm thinking that the error message I mentioned above was actually due to the crack in my EGR cooler and resultant exhaust leak, and not a flaw in the tune. Curious to see if the light comes back now that it has been corrected. Thinking mpg may improve as well!
Appreciate 0