E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Red Gear Transmission Error 2006 330i

01-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
jonahj98
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Barrique Red

Red Gear Transmission Error 2006 330i

Well boys, hopefully this isn't armageddon.

I'll preface this post by stating that I've had this error before, even on the way home with the car for the first time. Turned it off, back on, good to go. 45 thousand miles later and this time it might be for real. The transmission on my car has always had issues, especially in the cold. In sub freezing temps it really has difficulty from 5-6th and that would usually trigger the error after a few failed shift attempts. However, on my way to work this morning (Around 18F degrees) I got the error with no transmission jerk or shift struggle. Pulled over, did the usual off on routine - and the error was still there. Tried 6 hours later - still there. Not sure of any independent shop near me who can read the codes. AutoZone just pulled a basic PO700. Resorting to the E90 forums before contacting the stealership.

TL;DR
Transmission has been jerky for last 45k miles with the occasional red gear error that would go away after restarting vehicle. Today red gear did not go away.

Any prior knowledge would be appreciated. I've read around a little bit and seen things about the solenoids but other than that I'm completely in the dark on the whole transmission issue. As far as I know the trans fluid has never been replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You should not have ignored that. If you have been low on pressure, which would be a prime suspect for behavior relating to temperature, you may have caused extensive damage to the torque convertor and clutch packs by ignoring the issue so long, when maybe a simple topoff of the oil was enough.

Get some pro help to get an assessment of the damage. If you are lucky you are still only low on trans oil.
Appreciate 0