E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate Replacement Leads To Collateral Damage

05-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Wastegate Replacement Leads To Collateral Damage

I sent in my car almost 3 weeks ago to get the wastegate actuators replaced waiting on parts and stuff. 1 week ago the work was finished but all of the sudden my CSA told me that the car is throwing all forms of faults and they cant figure out what it is. I sent in the car with the wastegate actuator problem but allmy time with this problem, I never got a CEL or reduced power mode even with a tune. When i reverted to stock before sending it in, I was running the car for about 1 week before sending it in and never got any cel. I am perplexed to how come a wastegate actuator replacement suddenly is screwing the car up and the car is throwing CELS left, right and centre. I have not collected my car since I sent it in and the dealership is still trying to figure out whats wrong. I am in a real depression as it is, staying off boost for a good 1 month now, inhaling smoke from Civics and other cars in my mums C180. Any of you guys had problems after the wastegate actuator problem is fixed? Any ideas how I can assist these guys at the dealership. I dont know if they are competant enough to know what they are doing. And apparently, mine is the first car in the country.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear man! I am sure you know my experience with dealerships/warrantys/wastegates/and limps. I finally got my car back 2 days ago with 2 new wastegate actuators, gaskets, o-rings, and progman 29.2 update. So far my LIMP modes are completely gone and no sign of any wastegate rattling or ticking. I am confused with your situation though... It seems that replacement actuators shouldnt all of a sudden throw cels left and right, unless they installed them wrong or broke something in the process. The tech who was working on my car broke one of the O-rings and started the car without knowing, and oil starting pouring out underneath the car So its definitely true that some dealerships and techs dont know what they are doing sometimes. The same dealership that fixed mine, accidentaly put regular 3-series oil into a brand new e92 M3 and gave it back to the owner with out knowing...4 days later they called the owner and told him their mistake and it cost the dealership 10k for a new transmission + labor (OUCH!!!)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
PushingTin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe...Plus....

Elmariachi, did the wastegate actuator original failure have anything to do with your tune that you know of? What tune were you running?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
Elmariachi, did the wastegate actuator original failure have anything to do with your tune that you know of? What tune were you running?
The wastegate actuator was not a failure per se. It was just a loud ticking noise. Even stock cars got it and it is documented on the BMW TSB. I doubt my tune was the reason for this problem as quite a few of our e90 bros here have got it.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335 View Post
Sorry to hear man! I am sure you know my experience with dealerships/warrantys/wastegates/and limps. I finally got my car back 2 days ago with 2 new wastegate actuators, gaskets, o-rings, and progman 29.2 update. So far my LIMP modes are completely gone and no sign of any wastegate rattling or ticking. I am confused with your situation though... It seems that replacement actuators shouldnt all of a sudden throw cels left and right, unless they installed them wrong or broke something in the process. The tech who was working on my car broke one of the O-rings and started the car without knowing, and oil starting pouring out underneath the car So its definitely true that some dealerships and techs dont know what they are doing sometimes. The same dealership that fixed mine, accidentaly put regular 3-series oil into a brand new e92 M3 and gave it back to the owner with out knowing...4 days later they called the owner and told him their mistake and it cost the dealership 10k for a new transmission + labor (OUCH!!!)
Thats good to hear man! I really dont know wtf is going on here. I really dont know if its installed wrongly but the mechanic working on my car is highly accredited. And he is the only one working on my car. What puzzles me really is the cels which i never got even when i had the ticking noise and subsequently after changing the actuator, it just starts throwing all sorts of codes. 3 weeks now and counting...

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Thats good to hear man! I really dont know wtf is going on here. I really dont know if its installed wrongly but the mechanic working on my car is highly accredited. And he is the only one working on my car. What puzzles me really is the cels which i never got even when i had the ticking noise and subsequently after changing the actuator, it just starts throwing all sorts of codes. 3 weeks now and counting...
Same thing happened to me. I never had a CEL/limp when i was stock. Then i tuned it and never had 1 single limp or cel on JB2HR, and then went back to stock and was still fine. Took it to 1 dealership near me and they replaced only the rear wastegate actuator and i got it back from them with LIMP modes like crazy. So they caused the limp by messing/replacing something wrong. Took it to another dealership. They replaced both the front actuator and the brand new actuator the other dealership installed. Updated the progamn and it fixed the ticking and limps completely so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

When my dealership replaced my HPFP, they screwed up something while trying to update the car ... they kept it for an additional 5 days trying to figure out why the car was throwing codes all over the place and not running correctly.

They said they finally found the cause which was apparently some loose wires... ?!?

Car was 100% stock, I never as much as even barely popped the hood...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

I hope it gets fixed, that car of yours is one of the classiest I've seen.

Wheels

GL
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
After my wastegate actuators were replaced, I never had any codes or any problems.
Sorry to hear.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. Hope these guys get it fixed. It sux staying off boost.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
sounds dumb, but check that the downpipe c clamp isn't blocking the actuator arm....

MINE WAS... caused 1500 quids worth of fault codes till we realised it was a simple fix !

SJ
      05-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
When my dealership replaced my HPFP, they screwed up something while trying to update the car ... they kept it for an additional 5 days trying to figure out why the car was throwing codes all over the place and not running correctly.

They said they finally found the cause which was apparently some loose wires... ?!?

Car was 100% stock, I never as much as even barely popped the hood...
+1

They most likely don't have something they had to take apart to get to the wastegates plugged in our put back together properly. It's probably something dumb like having the O2's crossed.
Appreciate 0