E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > **E90 N52 PE EXHAUST Question***help

01-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Rob27e
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 330i Sedan N52

**E90 N52 PE EXHAUST Question***help

Hi guys and gals, I have a question for those who own or have owned a BMW performance exhaust for an e90 N52 (specifically 330i) 325 or 328i sedans only. So I recently purchased a PE exhaust system (exhaust/center resonator) part# 18102208793 for my 330i. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed as the sound is a bit suttle and not much different from my stock. I know this question has been asked before, but I'm hopping to get some feed back from those who have one or had one. Is there a break in period or should it sound aggressive and loud from the get go. I've looked at few videos on you tube for(e90 330i,325i & 328i) and can honestly say mine doesn't sound as sporty or growly "my ear"s work fine", yes it was installed properly , yes its on there as I verified and yes its genuine bmw performance. I'm I missing something? It does NOT have the valve that closes or open and the tube is not plugged in (golf tee). Any feed back would greatly be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob27e View Post
Hi guys and gals, I have a question for those who own or have owned a BMW performance exhaust for an e90 N52 (specifically 330i) 325 or 328i sedans only. So I recently purchased a PE exhaust system (exhaust/center resonator) part# 18102208793 for my 330i. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed as the sound is a bit suttle and not much different from my stock. I know this question has been asked before, but I'm hopping to get some feed back from those who have one or had one. Is there a break in period or should it sound aggressive and loud from the get go. I've looked at few videos on you tube for(e90 330i,325i & 328i) and can honestly say mine doesn't sound as sporty or growly "my ear"s work fine", yes it was installed properly , yes its on there as I verified and yes its genuine bmw performance. I'm I missing something? It does NOT have the valve that closes or open and the tube is not plugged in (golf tee). Any feed back would greatly be appreciated.
I have a 328xi, the difference is very noticeable, but 330i have a different muffler.
After breakin period the exhaust will POP more, but in a long run it will quite down, so I removed the 2nd cat. Now it sounds very nice and pops way more and also you get a few hp out of it (there's a member who did a dyno on it). And no it doesnt have any valve.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Rob27e
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 330i Sedan N52

That's interesting because #18102208793 is compatible with all three models. Unless yours is the coupe they have different#, I know PE on e90 coupes are not compatible with e90 sedans. Either way im really hoping itll get a bit louder. As for cats , I cant remove them as I live in California and they have all these stupid emission laws.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob27e View Post
yes there is a break in period anf it will get louder . I installed a magnaflow in my honda and I was also very dissapointed, a few weeks went by and the exhaust got louder. I also saw this with my mazda 3

However the PE exhaust is not a loud exhaust , it is supposed to sound like a sporty stock exhaust , it's not going to sound like an aftermarket exhaust. Its supposed to sound like the car came from factory like that , just a bit of a pop a little bit of aggressiveness, nothing really crazy. The first time I heard it was when my friend and i went ona ride and his windows were down and there was not other cars on the road, I remember asking him if he had an aftermarket exhaust , this was after me going on a ride with him like 5 times ( never noticed it before)

If you are really looking for a noticeable change that everyone can hear , a magnaflow would've been much better , nothing really crazy but it does not go unnoticed

Different people have different taste, personally PE exhaust would be perfect for me , but im on my mid 30s , I dont want too much attention , little is more in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
It will get a *little* louder after a couple of weeks, but not much. However, I assure you it is significantly louder than stock. That said, BMW's have a lot of sound deadening as they're primarily luxury cars, so you can't really hear as much of a difference from inside the car. Have a friend drive the car and you'll see what I mean. Or, just leave your door open and rev it up. The exhaust is definitely louder. Sure it's a fairly quiet exhaust, but with 4 catalytic converters on a 6 cyl. engine, what could one expect? The only way to get really loud is have zero mufflers (down from your current one), or get rid of some cats.

I just installed PE on my 328. Sounds very nice, but is definitely quiet inside the car. I'm currently torn. I'll probably delete the secondary cats for a bit more noise and power. But honestly, I wish I could just make it louder INSIDE the car, for me to enjoy, while keeping the noise OUTSIDE the car the same. I say this because I have issue with cars that make less than 300 WHP sounding like race cars. To each his own of course.
Appreciate 1
PhaceN52173.50
      01-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I will echo atmosphericM's comments. I myself just got the PE on and I think it's perfectly suited for the N52. I think it sounds perfect outside the car. It's much louder than stock. But when inside the car it is only a little louder than stock and you have to be listening for it in my opinion. I think the engine noise is still the most noticeable from inside. That said, my solution is just roll down the windows on nice days and enjoy it. The only way to keep the outside sound the same and increase the sound inside would be to remove the sound insulation. It's a catch-22. How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
Appreciate 0