E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N57 EGR Delete Kit

01-29-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
N57 EGR Delete Kit

Morning Guys,

Found the below on eBay and wondered if anyone here has fitted it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-N47-N5...-/263396322213

I would imagine the EGR would still need mapping out but I would be keen to hear from anyone that has used this kit (or similar) to find out if it was worth it....

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Morning Guys,

Found the below on eBay and wondered if anyone here has fitted it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-N47-N5...-/263396322213

I would imagine the EGR would still need mapping out but I would be keen to hear from anyone that has used this kit (or similar) to find out if it was worth it....

Thanks
thats the whole egr and cooler delete..which gets rid of egr stat etc.then blank on engine side.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
thats the whole egr and cooler delete..which gets rid of egr stat etc.then blank on engine side.
I know what it is lol

I just want to hear from anyone that has fitted this or similar to find out if it was worth it!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

i was speaking to a tuner the other day about EGR delete and he said if its working, leave it, as it aids in the regen process, unless you want to delete both but then he said he was a little unsure how the changes in May for the new MOT's would turn out at the minute.... just food for thought....

i think during a regen it recurulates more exhaust to help raise temps and get that DPF cooking, but then reading around a bit there are people who are EGR deleted and still regen fine but mostly on the M57 base....

just food for thought

and yeah deffinatly need mapping out, the car wouldn't be happy if it was trying to control something that wasn't there, the N57 is more advanced the the M57 in terms of EGR but then apparently the N57s don't suffer as much from carbon build up, how true that is i don't know....

the kit looks very good... but i the first picture that looks like a vacuum operated EGR? worth checking

Last edited by Andy198712; 01-29-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

My tuner also suggested keeping the EGR as I still have my DPF.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
i was speaking to a tuner the other day about EGR delete and he said if its working, leave it, as it aids in the regen process, unless you want to delete both but then he said he was a little unsure how the changes in May for the new MOT's would turn out at the minute.... just food for thought....

i think during a regen it recurulates more exhaust to help raise temps and get that DPF cooking, but then reading around a bit there are people who are EGR deleted and still regen fine but mostly on the M57 base....

just food for thought

and yeah deffinatly need mapping out, the car wouldn't be happy if it was trying to control something that wasn't there, the N57 is more advanced the the M57 in terms of EGR but then apparently the N57s don't suffer as much from carbon build up, how true that is i don't know....

the kit looks very good... but i the first picture that looks like a vacuum operated EGR? worth checking
Thanks for the reply...

Ok, Seeing as I have no intention of getting rid of the DPF, if the regen process is aided by the EGR then it looks like I'll be keeping it and cleaning as originally planned.

I have a couple of things to do as my MPG is not where it should be so I need to clean the EGR, Inlet Manifold, change the glow plug controller and possibly the plugs...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 05:30 AM   #7
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

have you done a hidden menu coolant temp test? if mpg is down it could be the stats or even a binding caliper.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #8
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
have you done a hidden menu coolant temp test? if mpg is down it could be the stats or even a binding caliper.
Good shout, not tested the temps so I'll do that in a bit but I know it's not the calipers as they were checked recently plus I'm having all the discs and pads changed at the weekend..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #9
Benskett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D LCI

Look at my thread if you don't think they suffer from carbon LOL! They do!!!

I have since fabbed up an OCC to stop the breather vapour mixing with the EGR soot causing the God awful sludge in the IM.

An N57 regen will start at 50 degrees C (water temp), not the 75 everyone suggests. You should however at least run the Torque Pro app and a Bluetooth adapter to monitor EGR temps, coolant temps & EGR movement. It will also show you boost & things like that.
      01-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benskett View Post
Look at my thread if you don't think they suffer from carbon LOL! They do!!!

I have since fabbed up an OCC to stop the breather vapour mixing with the EGR soot causing the God awful sludge in the IM.

An N57 regen will start at 50 degrees C (water temp), not the 75 everyone suggests. You should however at least run the Torque Pro app and a Bluetooth adapter to monitor EGR temps, coolant temps & EGR movement. It will also show you boost & things like that.
Oh I believe you, there's no doubt about that!

I would be interested in the OCC you made, have any pics or write up?

I have both Torque Pro and Carly on my head unit, I'll check my temps and EGR this week although, I know the EGR is sticking as I've thrown a code for it.

Without a doubt, I know I need to clean the EGR and IM and I'm fairly positive they are the cause of my lower than expected MPG. I just need to stop faffing and get on with it!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #11
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Is the code 40e9 by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:32 AM   #12
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is the code 40e9 by any chance?
Can't remember, give me 10 and I'll check.

EDIT: I cleared the codes the other night and a quick scan hasn't brought it up again but it will, I'll drive about for a bit later and scan again.

EDIT2: Fault: EGR actuator position control valve too far open / negative deviation Code: 40E9

Found a previous email report I sent myself, it is indeed the code you mention. I gather its rather common.... I'm sure the last code mentioned something about sticking though.

Last edited by sirleeofroy; 01-31-2018 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Mine had that, always said not present.
It’s basically the egr getting stuck for a second and creating a stored code.

I would clear it and it would come back after a drive. But be not present.

In the engine bay, if you pull the engine cover up and out, you’ll see the egr valve, with a black plastic cover on it shaped like a Little house. It has two clips to bend out and it’ll pull up.
It’s nails to do while fitted, I ended up cracking the cover. Some people just pry it off but it’s tricky, need an assortment of flat heads and picks really.
Then once you release the clips and slide the cover up, you’ll see the rod and roller coming up from the valve which rides on a cam actuated by a motor.
Move this and you’ll feel a tight spot in its lowest position, or I did.
It was a build up of dirt on the shaft that passes through a close fitting seal/bush causing drag at the bottom of its stroke and the code....

I put a little oil on a thin strip of rag and fed it behind the shaft and cleaned it up.
This made the movement smooth.
Put it back together and the code hasn’t come back in a week....

I thought it was the cam and roller that needed cleaning bs tried some grease but that didn’t change anything, it’s just the rod needs cleaning.

The cover is a twat to get off with the egr in situ, but I thought, worse case I replace the egr valve as I was exspexting to do that anyway, so nothing to loose.

I’m on my phone so tell me if this doesn’t make sense
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
Andy198712
Major
Rep

http://666kb.com/i/cx0lkghz9x3amafpl.jpg

This shows the cam and roller. That roller is attached to the shaft I cleaned

From this post

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200892

I think the reason his fault came back was because he didn’t clean the shaft with a light oil, he only greased the cam
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #15
Benskett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D LCI

Quote:
Oh I believe you, there's no doubt about that!

I would be interested in the OCC you made, have any pics or write up?

I have both Torque Pro and Carly on my head unit, I'll check my temps and EGR this week although, I know the EGR is sticking as I've thrown a code for it.

Without a doubt, I know I need to clean the EGR and IM and I'm fairly positive they are the cause of my lower than expected MPG. I just need to stop faffing and get on with it!
OCC, on my thread chap. All custom work as they just don't make them for the N57 engine.
It's bolted to a bracket onto the airbox as there isn't anywhere else to mount the thing!
      01-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #16
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://666kb.com/i/cx0lkghz9x3amafpl.jpg

This shows the cam and roller. That roller is attached to the shaft I cleaned

From this post

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200892

I think the reason his fault came back was because he didn’t clean the shaft with a light oil, he only greased the cam
Ah yes, I saw that thread a little while back. It was the last comment (apart from yours!) that piqued my interest as it states the lobe/cam shouldn't have any grease....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, I saw that thread a little while back. It was the last comment (apart from yours!) that piqued my interest as it states the lobe/cam shouldn't have any grease....
yeah i looked at that and BMW will not entertain greasing something to fix it, they will swap for new as thats how it works.... but to save £115 off for a new EGR i'm happy to faff on that cover a bit.
also it was a BMW tech who stated that if i recall?(not the manufacture of the EGR... just a point) now the roller is a small bearing which would come lubed from manufacture, bearings don't like to be dry, they rust...
I'm not claiming to be right either but i doubt a bit of grease will hurt it there.
he also said the grease will burn off... i can't see that happening...

i used a high temp grease but to be honest you only need to clean the shaft (i used a light oil to aid cleaning but again....)

Last edited by Andy198712; 01-31-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #18
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yeah i looked at that and BMW will not entertain greasing something to fix it, they will swap for new as thats how it works.... but to save £115 off for a new EGR i'm happy to faff on that cover a bit.
also it was a BMW tech who stated that if i recall?(not the manufacture of the EGR... just a point) now the roller is a small bearing which would come lubed from manufacture, bearings don't like to be dry, they rust...
I'm not claiming to be right either but i doubt a bit of grease will hurt it there.
he also said the grease will burn off... i can't see that happening...

i used a high temp grease but to be honest you only need to clean the shaft (i used a light oil to aid cleaning but again....)
Ok, well I'll have a look as I'll be taking it off anyway to clean out as much carbon/soot deposit from it and the IM.

Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:

just food for thought

Nice to hear an well informed comment from a mechanic. In fact the EGR also helps with low throttle applications by reducing pressure during that cycle. These engines are made to run with an EGR. Despite being a regular source of problems EGR is not installed on these engines as a complementary but unecessary module or an afterthought.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:10 AM   #20
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Absolutely, the theory and results are there, sadly so are the side effects, but if you consider carbon cleaning as maintenance it’s not so bad
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #21
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

I've recently had the 4e09. The EGR was swapped for a second hand unity around 6 months ago due to a coolant therefore I knew he EGR was clogged.

After removing the cap and inspecting the cam, the movement was a little notchy.

I ran a little 3 in 1 oil down the shaft as opposed to on the cam and the movement was immediately smooth. The shaft must dry out over time which is what causes the issue.

I've just scanned my codes again and the issue hasn't returned in 900 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #22
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Yeah it’s deffinatly the shaft, sticks slightly at the lowest position, I’m sure it’s a build up of gunk or as you say, shaft friction...

If you can’t get the cover off you can probably poke a spray straw up there and spray in a little oil
Appreciate 0