BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Question MHD Tune

Anyone here running an MHD tune?

Last edited by Blue55; 08-14-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
stormchaser7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I am running MHD stage 1+. I currently have catless downpipes and CP-E midpipe. Getting decent power with just stage 1. I just got a Wagner EVO comp. intercooler and charge pipe with TIAL Blow off valve. Plan to install this week. I am also doing plugs pulleys, SERP belt and a walnut blast as well. I will ultimately have Ken at Wedge Performance create a custom MHD tune for my car.
      02-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser7 View Post
I am running MHD stage 1+. I currently have catless downpipes and CP-E midpipe. Getting decent power with just stage 1. I just got a Wagner EVO comp. intercooler and charge pipe with TIAL Blow off valve. Plan to install this week. I am also doing plugs pulleys, SERP belt and a walnut blast as well. I will ultimately have Ken at Wedge Performance create a custom MHD tune for my car.
I've been running a custom tune from Ken at Wedge for the past 3 years..it's great..he's always there to support you and he'll work with you back and forth on optimizing the tune..he analyzes your runs on datazap.me and sends you a new file to test. The M button is still active as well which is great.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I've been running a custom tune from Ken at Wedge for the past 3 years..it's great..he's always there to support you and he'll work with you back and forth on optimizing the tune..he analyzes your runs on datazap.me and sends you a new file to test. The M button is still active as well which is great.
Second that. Ken has been awesome to work with, and never has an issue in touching up a tune for me once I provide him with some more data to work with.

Great service.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Anyone here running an MHD tune? I'm currently on an old GIAC tune, but I've never been completely happy with it. My friend has a stage 2 MHD on his 135i and is happy, but I'm looking for additional feedback for anyone running it. I have an intercooler, charge pipe and midpipe.
Yes. Most people on this forum are running MHD and almost nobody has anything bad to say about it.

Get yourself some downpipes and run MHD Stage 2, you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

You guys running just mud/wedge no Jb4? I always want both for the on the fly boost target changes of the Jb4, nice to reduce boost on the track if necessary. I haven't looked at tuning options for a bit.

Anyone running larger turbos with a mhd/wedge tune?
      05-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
MHD >>> Cobb

I ran Cobb for almost 2 years and found the OTS maps to be pretty weak. My cobb custom tune made great power, but part throttle driveability just wasn't as smooth as I was looking for.

I live near Horsepower Barn / AD Engineering and had them install their FMIC. In talking to them about my Cobb frustrations, they really sold me on MHD. I switched about 10 months ago and couldn't be happier. The OTS maps are significantly better than Cobb, enough that I don't feel the need for a custom tune....yet. I found Stage 2+ to be a little inconsistent on my car (mods in sig) even though MHD thought Stage 2+ was good for the 1M downpipes with secondary cats deleted. Stage 1+ feels factory smooth and feels as strong as stage 2+ at WOT on my car. I'm sure it actually isn't, but its close enough I can't tell.

Most AWESOME MHD feature:
User can select many custom features on any reflash. Coolant temp target (stock, sport, race), Manual transmission post shift bog fix, exhaust burble duration and intensity can be set separately for normal and sport modes, user selected load targets for gears 1, 2 and 3 to dial in perfect launches, linear throttle, raised idle RPM.

Choose your map, octane level, then options, then flash.

Some examples of how I use the flexibility:
For the street, I run the 91 octane map (best pump gas is 92 octane) with exhaust burble set for sport mode only, so I can press the M button if I want it. Most of the time its off. I limit 1st gear load to 135 which will allow very slight wheel spin if tires are cold, perfect well-hooked launch if tires are warm. No need to limit 2nd or 3rd gear. I use the linear throttle, and MT bog fix which prevents the ECU from lowering load request for 1 second after a shift to keep newbies from destroying the transmission on a mis-shift. It feels like turbo lag, but its programmed. Click the box, you'll be glad you did!

I have 100 octane available, so I can blend and run the 95 octane map. (I also have a local supplier of Thunderbolt race ethanol, so I could blend to E30 and run those maps also, but probably won't.) For autocross, I flash the 95 Octane map with coolant target set to "race" which I believe targets a coolant temp of 165 degrees. Basically, the water pump and fan always run if the car is on, which has the added benefit of pulling air across the intercooler also. I don't heatsoak in grid! I set the idle to 900 which helps with launch. We race at an old track paved with river rock asphalt, so launch grip is poor. I limit 1st gear load to 110 which still allows some wheelspin but is much easier to control.

After race day, I usually have just under 1/4 tank of gas, so I add only enough 92 octane to bring my blend down to 93. That way I can let myself down easy by running the 93 octane map for a while before returning to the 91 octane map.

I haven't been to the real track yet since going to MHD, but will probably run Stage 1 (non+) with sport or race cooling target.

Finally, MHD disables the fuel pump while flashing so the risk of a battery drain is much lower. That update happened about 6 months ago and they continue to develop the product. There are beta maps for version 8 tunes that just released a few months ago. Cobb has basically forgotten about the N54, as have most tuners other than those working on the MHD platform.

My ONLY gripe is that it is android based. The Cobb device was light weight, purpose built and had great gauge functions. Even a small android phone weighs 2-3 times as much and will be harder to mount securely on a suction cup mount for a clear non-bouncy view.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1