BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > 2018 adaptive headlights

02-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Question 2018 adaptive headlights

Hey all,

I just took delivery of my 2018 m2 today. When ordering the car I was, in my opinion, quite specific about getting the LCI update including the hexagonal headlights. At the time I didn’t realize they were the adaptive version that’s an additional option. When my salesman was explaining the adaptive vs standard lights to me he said that cosmetically they would essentially look the same so I chose to save myself the $1k, thinking I would still get that aggressive hexagon style. Now that I’ve taken delivery I see it’s the standard lights that look like previous model years.

I’m oddly upset about this as I really wanted that new style light and I feel like the miscommunication at the dealer is what caused me to not order what I should have in the first place. Any tips on how to move forward with this? Would it be possible to pay some extra out of pocket to do a swap?

Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

No solution man.

Sorry
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
No solution man.

Sorry
Bah kinda figured this. Apparently my husband prefers this version to the adaptive so I guess I’ll try to view it as a compromise
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      02-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Enjoy the car.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Congrats on the new car. What dealership did you buy it from?? Your SA should have known that the non-adaptive were a different style. Mine did surprisingly. Plus I read it here on this forum...most of the time (about 99%!) the guys/gals on here know more than the sales people so it's a great resource. Not much you can do about it now unfortunately...hopefully the fun you will have driving the car will offset the fact that you didn't get the lights you wanted. Now if it would only stop snowing so we could actually get the cars out of the garage...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Enjoy the car.
I definitely will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
Congrats on the new car. What dealership did you buy it from?? Your SA should have known that the non-adaptive were a different style. Mine did surprisingly. Plus I read it here on this forum...most of the time (about 99%!) the guys/gals on here know more than the sales people so it's a great resource. Not much you can do about it now unfortunately...hopefully the fun you will have driving the car will offset the fact that you didn't get the lights you wanted. Now if it would only stop snowing so we could actually get the cars out of the garage...
Thanks! I purchased at BMW Toronto. My SA did pull through and get me MPSS tires since the car was also delivered with Contis so it’s not all bad. I did try to do some research on the LCI back in November when I ordered it but unfortunately I couldn’t find any definitive answers - probably should have created my account here sooner to ask. And agreed, this darn snow needs to go!!!
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      02-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

They both look good

No worries
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
ilvtofu
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I can't even recall an option for different headlights on my 2018 haha
      02-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
bornyesterday
Private
Rep
Drives: F82, E92

I feel you... I went through the exact same thing after spending hours dreaming of what my car would look like... The product information pamphlet for the LCI model from BMW is not very clear on this option, only showing pictures of the new style and no picture of the old style for comparison. In the document it says "New Adaptive LED Headlights
To further differentiate the M2 from the 2 series lineup, it is highly recommended to equip the
optional 552 Adaptive LED Headlights for enhanced aggressive styling"

Missed the part where it says "enhanced aggressive styling"
Unfortunately this confused me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Hey all,

I just took delivery of my 2018 m2 today. When ordering the car I was, in my opinion, quite specific about getting the LCI update including the hexagonal headlights. At the time I didn’t realize they were the adaptive version that’s an additional option. When my salesman was explaining the adaptive vs standard lights to me he said that cosmetically they would essentially look the same so I chose to save myself the $1k, thinking I would still get that aggressive hexagon style. Now that I’ve taken delivery I see it’s the standard lights that look like previous model years.

I’m oddly upset about this as I really wanted that new style light and I feel like the miscommunication at the dealer is what caused me to not order what I should have in the first place. Any tips on how to move forward with this? Would it be possible to pay some extra out of pocket to do a swap?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
b-unit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

When I was going through the purchasing process in Nov/Dec I spoke to at least 5 different dealers in the GTA and not a single sales associate I spoke to knew you needed the $1000 adaptive option in order to get the new hex lights. Thank goodness for this forum, I think I'm probably the one that has educated all these dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Hey all,

I ordered mine and got it without LED adaptive. Dealer missed to put the option as he understood it as standard as it was in all Canadian model before LCI. I missed it and knew it before mine delivered and refused to take it.

I wanted to see if I can retrofit LED to the one without, but cost was way over 4k including installation according to my dealer and they also mentioned that the "adaptive" feature will not work fully as it would from the factory after dealer retrofit.. So my decision was to wait another 4 months and ordered the one with the LED.

It is possible but not worth. They dont work well and expensive. If you want it as I did... fight with your SA and say that it does not look like the LCI shape with LED. Order a new car under their allocation (if they have one)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
I ordered mine and got it without LED adaptive. Dealer missed to put the option as he understood it as standard as it was in all Canadian model before LCI. I missed it and knew it before mine delivered and refused to take it.

I wanted to see if I can retrofit LED to the one without, but cost was way over 4k including installation according to my dealer and they also mentioned that the "adaptive" feature will not work fully as it would from the factory after dealer retrofit.. So my decision was to wait another 4 months and ordered the one with the LED.

It is possible but not worth. They dont work well and expensive. If you want it as I did... fight with your SA and say that it does not look like the LCI shape with LED. Order a new car under their allocation (if they have one)
I was just about to suggest a swap/retrofit when I read your post.

4K is steep for sure...BUT, if the OP plans to keep the car for a long time...might be worth it from a personal preference perspective.
      02-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #13
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I was just about to suggest a swap/retrofit when I read your post.

4K is steep for sure...BUT, if the OP plans to keep the car for a long time...might be worth it from a personal preference perspective.
I just checked my message with my SA for this issue last year and it is 3k not 4k hahaha. Nonethless it is very expensive option, and as I said, it will not give factory working condition "adaptive" movement which anyways ruins the point.

If OP intend to keep the vehicle for long term, I will recommend to order another one arguing the fact that he did not expect the appearance difference unlike what his/her dealer told.

Maybe even stepping further, complain big time and get M2C allocation on first line up hahahaha give additional 4-5 month total of 8 months of waiting?? LoL
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      02-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
I just checked my message with my SA for this issue last year and it is 3k not 4k hahaha. Nonethless it is very expensive option, and as I said, it will not give factory working condition "adaptive" movement which anyways ruins the point.

If OP intend to keep the vehicle for long term, I will recommend to order another one arguing the fact that he did not expect the appearance difference unlike what his/her dealer told.

Maybe even stepping further, complain big time and get M2C allocation on first line up hahahaha give additional 4-5 month total of 8 months of waiting?? LoL

Honestly, it might be worth it for 3K - that's a big visual difference for the 2018s, and it would probably drive me nuts.
      02-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1lee View Post
I feel you... I went through the exact same thing after spending hours dreaming of what my car would look like... The product information pamphlet for the LCI model from BMW is not very clear on this option, only showing pictures of the new style and no picture of the old style for comparison. In the document it says "New Adaptive LED Headlights
To further differentiate the M2 from the 2 series lineup, it is highly recommended to equip the
optional 552 Adaptive LED Headlights for enhanced aggressive styling"

Missed the part where it says "enhanced aggressive styling"
Unfortunately this confused me too
Glad I’m not the only one who was confused! They really need to make it more clear to buyers as everything I was shown indicated the hexagon style was standard! I did a YouTube video of my delivery and of course the first question was “why didn’t you get the new headlights” lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-unit View Post
When I was going through the purchasing process in Nov/Dec I spoke to at least 5 different dealers in the GTA and not a single sales associate I spoke to knew you needed the $1000 adaptive option in order to get the new hex lights. Thank goodness for this forum, I think I'm probably the one that has educated all these dealers.
Omg that’s crazy! Sometimes I’m surprised at how little some of these salespeople know (and I used to sell cars myself). These are worth a pretty penny, at least know the features and options. I did a bit of research back in Nov but really couldn’t find a clear answer. I really should have made my account sooner.

Quote:

Yeah my husband suggested a retrofit but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle. For that price there are other mods I’d like to do to the car. My salesman did get me the mpss tires (was delivered with contis) as well as a day of bmw m driving school in California so I can’t complain too much. It’s not a complete make or break for me as I sold my other fun car and don’t have the patience to wait for a new delivery haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
bornyesterday
Private
Rep
Drives: F82, E92

mind you, they did change the headlights a little bit from pre LCI to LCI Non adapative.

pre LCI's have a strip of LED above the corona rings, the LCI's do not.

Just an observation I made as I spent hours obsessing over the fact that my LCI doesn't have those headlights...
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
eurobeat intensifies
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thumbs down

Quote:
Hey all,

Same situation; i thought 2018 was going to be hex...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I don't envy anyone who made this mistake. It was anything but obvious on ordering. FWIW the non adaptive headlights look fantastic still. I don't always love my hexagonal haloes.
      05-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #19
RastaManMax
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Hey all,

This is exactly what today I don't own an M2. I walked in and didn't take up any time. My allocation was pushed very close to MY2018 so I elected to take the first LCI allocation.

I sent in a picture showing the adaptive headlights and said as long as my headlights looked like the picture, I don't need anything else.

Long story short, I found out myself that the hexagonal headlights were an option so I reached out to my SA and told him. At that time, production had already started and I was told that the only option was to take delivery then buy the adaptives for something like $4K+. That's why I cancelled my order.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #20
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I almost made the same mistake as the brochure and website don't do a great job of explaining that if you don't get the adaptive LED package you get LED halos. When talking to the dealer discussing the package I asked if I needed to add the package to get the LED lights and he said no so I didn't (technically he was correct). A few days later when I joined up here I realized that I had made a mistake and promptly changed to another M2 they had coming further out that was the same color and trim but had the adaptive LED package.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #21
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Hey all,

I just took delivery of my 2018 m2 today. When ordering the car I was, in my opinion, quite specific about getting the LCI update including the hexagonal headlights. At the time I didn't realize they were the adaptive version that's an additional option. When my salesman was explaining the adaptive vs standard lights to me he said that cosmetically they would essentially look the same so I chose to save myself the $1k, thinking I would still get that aggressive hexagon style. Now that I've taken delivery I see it's the standard lights that look like previous model years.

I'm oddly upset about this as I really wanted that new style light and I feel like the miscommunication at the dealer is what caused me to not order what I should have in the first place. Any tips on how to move forward with this? Would it be possible to pay some extra out of pocket to do a swap?

IMO I bought my M2 purely for the amazing drive, my added options of the adaptive lights and sunroof are moot
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #22
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
IMO I bought my M2 purely for the amazing drive, my added options of the adaptive lights and sunroof are moot
Totally agree with this. I have these and regret the cost vs what they actually do.
My Mini had these and they were not mechanical. Would add more side LEDs as you turned the wheel. Instant and excellent. These are imho useless.
I even thought they were not working and posted questions on the main forum...
Spend the money you saved on some performance driving courses. If you are in Toronto.... drop by my place and I'll code in VLD....
Appreciate 1
2+3=5285.00