BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    BMW Just Screwed Launch Customers Again

02-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

BMW Just Screwed Launch Customers Again

BMW Ups the Ante With M5 Competition Package
Published: February 10, 2018 | By: American Luxury Staff
BMW might just steal a little limelight from the E63 S with the news of its new M5 Competition Package. The newest M5 is tuned to best the competing Mercedes-AMG model by stressing that simple number that has come to represent performance in a luxury sedan: the horsepower rating.

The already impressive 600-hp M5 will gain 25 extra horses with the Competition Package upgrade. The super-powered luxury sedan’s tune-up will make it more powerful than the Mercedes-AMG E63 S. However, it is possible that the vehicle will boast carbon brakes, which could discourage some purchasers.

There’s more to the story than a little more muscle and ceramic brakes, of course. BMW has quasi-leaked a few more informational tidbits about the package, which was announced last September. New details about the model variation include notable upgrades, including updated dynamics and new wheels, and a bevy of package-specific cosmetic flourishes. BMW will tell all, though, when the car is unveiled in Geneva next month.

Production on BMW’s M5 Competition Package will begin in April at the automaker’s Dingolfing plant.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
I think that people who "needs" competition package track their car a least one or two time in a month ?

I don't know how much it will cost for this package over the MRSP, but in my case, i think that "base" version is more than enough for daily driving and 1 or 2 track days a years.

Anyway, they will always be a car over the car that you bought.
And if you really want to track a car, buy a gt3 version of something ...

If it's just for 0-60 or 1/4 miles times, a dinan, jb4 or something like that will do the jobs.

For cosmetic, the pricing at bmw is anyway always too expensive compared to quality aftermarket stuff.

My opinion by the way ...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

http://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1457528
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Thx I have been MIA for awhile. Turned down my allocation told the dealer I want to see and drive this go around. No way buying blind again.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Thx I have been MIA for awhile. Turned down my allocation told the dealer I want to see and drive this go around. No way buying blind again.
I’m skipping the comp package. I’m dubious it adds much beyond higher profits for BMW. But, I am not due for another vehicle for two years.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I’m skipping the comp package. I’m dubious it adds much beyond higher profits for BMW. But, I am not due for another vehicle for two years.
Makes sense. The problem is it will depreciate the ordered launch cars, and never gave those buyers a shot at the better car. BMW has never done this on a launched vehicle........my guess is demand is not where they want it for the new car. The F10 was back ordered unlike the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Makes sense. The problem is it will depreciate the ordered launch cars, and never gave those buyers a shot at the better car. BMW has never done this on a launched vehicle........my guess is demand is not where they want it for the new car. The F10 was back ordered unlike the replacement.
Going forward, it seems like competition packages will launch with the launch of new M cars (according to ynguldyn's December '17 update at least), with CS (and maybe CSL) versions coming later.

They probably wanted to launch the CP with the F90 M5 but it got delayed for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
jboud18
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Can't wait for the auto show to see what this will bring. Had the Comp package on the F80 but no ccbs. See what BMW will do with the comp to see if it's worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

I dont see how 25hp is going to make much of a difference on a 600hp car. I believe there is a 40hp diff between the e63 and e63s (and +74 lb/ft)..and the S only gains a tenth to 60 and a tenth in the quarter. I am guessing that in addition to the small hp gains...you also get small suspension tweaks, CCBs, M exhaust and maybe new wheels?

And how much is this package going to cost again???
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #10
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country F90 View Post
I dont see how 25hp is going to make much of a difference on a 600hp car. I believe there is a 40hp diff between the e63 and e63s (and +74 lb/ft)..and the S only gains a tenth to 60 and a tenth in the quarter. I am guessing that in addition to the small hp gains...you also get small suspension tweaks, CCBs, M exhaust and maybe new wheels?

And how much is this package going to cost again???
I do wonder if they are actually going to include CCBs in ZCP -- that would put ZCP at the $12 to 15k range easily and the take-up rate for that won't be very high if that were the case.
Appreciate 0