E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Filter Housing Cap O-Ring Individual PNs?

02-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Oil Filter Housing Cap O-Ring Individual PNs?

I purchased a K&P S38 filter for my 2008 BMW 328xi (N52). Normally the paper filters for my car come with one black and one greenish o-ring for my filer housing cap - are these parts sold individually or does anyone know the exact sizes of the o-rings?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mann-par...1427566327~mn/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-k-and-p-...s/s38~k-and-p/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

RealOEM has a P/N for the big o-ring. It doesn't show the small, green o-ring as an individual P/N. Time to get out and measure the small green one.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Just because I can (I was just over at the shop cleaning brake calipers to return for a core) and I found one sitting on my tool chest, here are the dimensions of the the little green o-ring for the N52 OFH:

OD = 11.94MM (12MM)
ID = 7.20MM (7MM)
dia. = 2.57MM (2.5MM)

Measured with a digital caliper. (numbers) are rounded to the nearest .5 millimeter. Not sure what material is used for the o-ring; it seems to be a slightly harder rubber than the large cap o-ring.

Hope this helps.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Moral is; buy MANN next time. They supply both o-rings and a new crush washer for the sump plug. TBH you'd be OK re-using your existing o-ring for one oil change...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

While I don't discount the filtering ability of reusable oil filters since the K&P uses medical-grade stainless steel filter medium (used in blood filtering equipment), the cleaning process is where I have an issue. I looked at K&P's cleaning video and it suggests using CRC Brakleen to clean the filter, then soap and water from a garden hose, then air dry the filter with time, or use compressed shop air. Brakleen is about $3.50 a can at a retail auto parts store, so if you use a whole can (which is easy to do) you've spent about half the amount of the price for a MANN HU816 filter if you buy them on line ($8). The o-rings that come with a MANN/BMW OE filter can be reused a few times I suppose, but I've noticed the green one hardens up a bit over time, so you'd have to source the o-rings, so maybe another $2. So estimating, just to clean the filter you're in by $5 already. On top of the cleaning cost, there is the technique. One has to be quite precise cleaning the filter, and gets a mess load of oily brakleen to dispose of. Plus, not all household water sources are debris free, and cleaning from a garden hose to remove the soap may add in micron-sized mineral deposits on the inside of the filter element, which would flow into the engine upon start up. I know at my house, with well water and unfiltered, has visible particles in it. All this time vs. 30 seconds swapping in a new paper element...

$3 more added to the $5 you've spent on cleaning and o-rings and you get a new fresh, factory clean, paper filter that I don't think anyone has had an issue with and no one has lost an engine over a OE/MANN filter element not filtering properly. I did 17,000-mile oil changes on BMW EO filters for years and never saw any degradation of the paper element.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

K&P ended up giving me the exact details of where they buy the o-rings they include with the stainless steel filter and the dimensions. Both are Buna-N 70D:
The larger o-ring is 3.5mm CS x 80mm ID http://www.theoringstore.com/index.p...oducts_id=1974
The smaller o-ring is 2.5mm CS x 7mm ID http://www.theoringstore.com/index.p...ducts_id=20033
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
K&P ended up giving me the exact details of where they buy the o-rings they include with the stainless steel filter and the dimensions. Both are Buna-N 70D:
The larger o-ring is 3.5mm CS x 80mm ID http://www.theoringstore.com/index.p...oducts_id=1974
The smaller o-ring is 2.5mm CS x 7mm ID http://www.theoringstore.com/index.p...ducts_id=20033
The max temperature seems a bit low for engine oil. 250 deg F
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:23 AM   #8
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah...I had the same thought but those are the details K&P gave me. Buna is probably fine for the larger cap o-ring but for the one inside it might be safer going with Viton which goes up to 400F. Guess I'll take a look at the next oil change. Everything's feeling and sounding smoother than ever right now so I'm pretty happy. Used Liquid Moly Special Tec for the engine and did my diff oil at the same time with Ravenol SAF-XO.

I have my own water distiller and ultrasonic cleaner so I won't have to deal with the crazy amount of minerals in the AZ groundwater or blowing a whole can of Brakleen.

Last edited by Yangorang; 02-22-2018 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0